Leave-ins when flatironing

GaiasDaughter24

I waqs wondering what leave-ins people use when they straighten their natural hair. Last time I tried (about 2 months ago) it was a disaster. It looked as though my hair is split at the ends ALOT. I wasn't sure if that was because my hair wasn't moisturized enough or not.

So what's your leave-in when you flatiron? I want ti straighten my hair again to check my ends and see if they need trimming.

TIA :grin:

I always use a leave in on my hair after conditioning (whether my hair is gonna be flat ironed or not). My favorite leave in conditioners are:

Giovanni Direct Leave In
She Scent It Coco Cream Leave In
Bee Mine Deja's Hair Milk

I always use Sabino Moisture Block prior to flat ironing.

If you can get it I would suggest Keratin Complex Infusion Therapy Collection. Particularly the Infusion. It repairs your hair while you flatiron. It an awesome leave in!

Last edited by a moderator:
I always use biofusion heat protectant but that does not work! I want to try Sabino moisture block....my stylist uses a dime sized amount of Moroccan oil...i leave looking like I have a fresh perm!

I use kid's organics shea butter detangling lotion with a bit of avocado oil followed by Tresseme Heat Tamer Spray.

As to the split ends, I haven't tried this but there's something called the comb chase method where you comb a section of hair with a finer tooth comb immediately before passing the flat iron. This is a good example of that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx8JiOPZ-0Y

Last edited:
I always use biofusion heat protectant but that does not work! I want to try Sabino moisture block....my stylist uses a dime sized amount of Moroccan oil...i leave looking like I have a fresh perm!

I am a stylist who also uses Moroccan Oil in all my services. It takes my flatirons and chemical services to another level! It is such a wonderful product.

Also take a look at Kenra's new Blow Dry Spray. Another great product that I use in my flatiron service. I've also started using it in my roller sets. Silky smooth! It smells wonderful! (I cocktail this and moroccan oil and/or sometimes Design essentials HCO) Here is what Kenra saya about their Blow dry Spray:
Advance-dry thermal protectant . Dramatically decreases blow-dry time. Provides intense heat protection from damage and breakage. Lightweight formulation detangles, smoothes, and softens. Eliminates frizz and resists humidity.

I always use the following 3 leave-ins no matter if Im air drying, blow drying or rollersetting:

Joico K-pak reconstructor leave-in- IMHO This is the best leave-in ever for fine hair.
Joico split end mender (I've been using this because I bought it and it last 4ever, not sure if it has done anything for my split ends...I guess I have less splits, but I also * been airdrying for the past 4 months so who knows)
Joico K-pak color therapy restoring oil- I love this serum, it really helps in the detangling process and it smooths my cuticles.

After washing my hair, I put my hair into 8 sections. When I take down a section, I apply Mane N Tail Conditioner then blowdry. I do this for all 8 sections. After my hair is completely blowdried, I apply grease (Ultra Sheen hair dress) to each section of hair, then flat-iron.

I too use Nioxin Thermal Bliss before the flatiron. I just discovered Sexy Hair Pumpkin Potion for after. I love this stuff. It is a creamy leave in.

I apply lacio lacio or keracare's leave-in in the gold bottle on damp hair.

Then I apply a small amount of kenra's shine serum before blowdrying.

The only leave-in I can use when flatironing is CHI Silk. Everything else leaves my hair looking dull and lifeless. Plus I have more swang on flat-ironed hair using the CHI Silk.

Thanks eveyone. I use Tresseme heat protectant but my hair doesn't hang at all. I only have 4 1/2 in of hair but it should have a little bit. It just looks like a straightened afro lol

I use Lacio Lacio mixed with Morrocan Oil. It is simply the best for my strands. I can understand when you say your ends look as if they are split or raggedy. I remedy this by using the comb/chase method. I use this tool from Sally's http://www.sallybeauty.com/Straightening-Comb/SBS-345868,default,pd.html

Also, I make sure my hair is COMPLETELY dry. Not a hint of dampness ANYWHERE!! When I dry, I separate my hair into four sections and make ponytails, I usually airdry too. Then I flatiron section by section. I usually make a big pin curl when I'm done with each section to help blend my ends.

For my leave in I use Kinky Curly and when I flat iron I use Loreal Hot Straight Straigtening balm. It comes in a bright pink bottle. You apply it on damp hair, then blow dry and then you can add a lil when you start to flat iron.

Usually I do a naked press after a really good deep condition with silk elements moisturizing treatment.

I spray in aphogee keratin spray, some Moroccan oil, and blow out, and go. I like my hair light and swangin!

CHI silk infusion is the best...i usually apply that and Motions heat protectant spray before blowdrying and flat ironing.

Back