Layers - Now I know why

diamondlady

I couldn't figure out why my hair, all of the sudden, started growing in layers. It never has done this before. Then I noticed that the first layer stopped where my pony started for my bun. I have also been drying my hair in a ponytail. I think I have been putting too much stress on the top layers. When I wore a high ponytail the back didn't retain well and now that I started wearing a low ponytail the top is not retaining length.

My hair does not like stress, or heat and does better with air drying but if I don't dry in a pontail, it will not dry straight so then it's heat to straighten which my hair also does not like. Roller sets mean stress so I'm kinda lost right now. I gues it's braid-outs for a while.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

I also had to stop using pony tail holders - no matter how gentle and break-free they were supposed to be. What I do is gather my hair like I would if I were going to use a holder,then I twist it until it makes a bun-like donut on the back of my head. I then insert a hairpin. Works like a dream. As I wear my hair in a bun except for date night with DH, I don't worry about what it may look like if I were to take it down - because I don't.

I hope you find something that works for you. Having hair break while you're doing so much work to take care of it sucks really badly.

I had this problem my first grow round with my hair. I'm glad you brought this up. It makes sense. I do remember I had stopped wearing ponytails and started pinning my hair up, that's when my layers disappeared. Good luck and thank you again.

I have avoided breakage lately by using the bands from Knee-highs, (and Nylon socks lately).
They are gentle on you hair, and they last forever!
I'm also tenderheaded, but these give me a VERY comfortable and snug hold.....without breakage I might add.

I've posted this information before but only because I swear by these bands.

I have avoided breakage lately by using the bands from Knee-highs, (and Nylon socks lately).
They are gentle on you hair, and they last forever!
I'm also tenderheaded, but these give me a VERY comfortable and snug hold.....without breakage I might add.

I've posted this information before but only because I swear by these bands.

Wow - that's a great idea! I'm finally long enough for a pony tail; now I can give it a try.

This happened to me also and I am still recovering. I just switched to very loose ponytails, not that I was even wearing them tight before! Anyway, I just grap the hair up high and wrap the ponytail holder around the hair once. This will only work if you have thick hair and it feels like you don't even have anything in your hair.

Braid outs are great but I work out super hard every other day so I have to rinse my hair and then air dry.

If I wear a ponytail, it's always with a loose, hair-safe (satin) holder.
What I've been doing for several months now is airdrying in a satin scarf, which smooths the top part of my hair, and rolling up the ends in the back. My main reason for doing this is because I love the results, it's quick and easy, comfortable to sleep in and makes stretching easy since airdrying in the scarf keeps the newgrowth flat. :)
See Sylver2's tutorial for pics.

I had this problem too, because I bun everyday. What I do now instead of using a pony tail holder, I just pull my hair through the hole in my donut, tuck the ends in, and secure it with a nylon. Alot less stress!:yep: HTH

Use the knee-high tops as the ponytail holder.
Also.....

1. I've just started using the excess from the knee-high by cutting the 2 inch lengths, and using them as covers on sponge rollers, or
  2. Wrapping them around the pressure clip portion of my barrets to protect my hair when I use them.
Now I don'thave to search for the plastic coated ones any more (they are hard to find)....just be sure to use a nylon color that closely matches your own.

Wow - that's a great idea! I'm finally long enough for a pony tail; now I can give it a try.

Last edited:
Back