ladies with sew-ins

Tara G.

hey ladies,

havent posted in ages..had computer issues but now im back.I have got a sew - in and whilst it does grow my hair i find that when i take it out the ends of my hair are quite bad..and it has to be cut.Hence the true growth of the hair is not seen.

Im guessing that im getting bad ends cos im not moisturing the hair underneath so it is breaking.I was wonderin whether u had any products to suggest as the ones i can think of applying wont work cos if i apply it it the actual weave will get wet and tht means id have to be blowdrying the weave every day.

i was readin around and it seems that people use braid spray..and if so which ones are well recommended, and are there any other suggestions.

TIA.

African Royale BRX braid spray is good. I usually just deep condition my weave when I wash it and that's good enough. I only use the spray every once in a while like if I get uncontrollable itchies or something.

oy veh i had the same problem. i had 3 sew ins last year and a perm change that damaged my hair. when i had the weave i was oiling daily with Parnevu Tee Tree Oil and Hot 6 oil or whatever oil i could find around, but the last time i took it out my hair seemed weaker and the ends were still see thru. i always leave them in for a month. the first time i only left it for 2 weeks and had no problem. so right now i'm chilling on the weave tip, but if i choose to get one again, it won't stay in that long, i have to keep my dry hair moisturized and pay attention to it and all that hair attatched to it is keeping it from mama's love :p

thanks,

so bmoreflyygirl...is that braid spray that you use actually moisturising or is it just for itches..cos i want something for moisture not itching.

Do you have "core" products that work for your hair when it is loose?

If so, I would sgguest that you use this same products - just try to dilute them (and use a nozzle bottle) to apply to your hair underneath.

hi yes i do have core products
- i use a garnier conditioner which i have diluted with water and placed a bit of jojoba oil in it.This is in a spray bottle...and whn i try to spray it on to the braids i find tht the actual weave gets wet...and the braids themself get wet so therefore id have to be applying heat to it every single day if i was moisturising every day ...and i thought applying heat wld do more damage than good?

what do u mean by a nozzle bottle...is that the same thing as a spray bottle?

I use African Pride braid spray with tea tree and peppermint oil. Its a good moisturizer and it makes my scalp feel fresh.

Tara G. said:
hi yes i do have core products
- i use a garnier conditioner which i have diluted with water and placed a bit of jojoba oil in it.This is in a spray bottle...and whn i try to spray it on to the braids i find tht the actual weave gets wet...and the braids themself get wet so therefore id have to be applying heat to it every single day if i was moisturising every day ...and i thought applying heat wld do more damage than good?

what do u mean by a nozzle bottle...is that the same thing as a spray bottle?

I mean a bottle (like one to apply hair dye) with a pointy tip.

I mix my products (scurl, MTG, WGO & castor) in one with a long pointy nozzle tip that I can squirt on my roots. Using a spray bottle is tricky for getting to your roots without soaking the weave.

Hope this helps!

oh ok thanks..i never thought of using a bottle with a pointy tip...yes using a spray bottle is v. tricky as it goes everywhere so i gave up on trying to moisturise the hair beneath.

thanks again.

depending on how you have your sew-in sewed in its hard to actually apply products to the scalp...but like some have suggested maybe you could try something with no oil in it(because i have tried this even a oil or a grease and it always weighs down the weave and getting spreaded on the human hair i always have to end up washing the weave after a couple of days)...i have some scurl, infusim and surge mixed together in a bottle...but i also notice that sometimes the hair also gets wet even though i use a spray bottle...but it doesnt weigh down the hair...i havent been consistent with using this mixture but because they are more of a water based products or no oil based that it maybe better.

Tara G. said:
thanks,

so bmoreflyygirl...is that braid spray that you use actually moisturising or is it just for itches..cos i want something for moisture not itching.

It's supposed to be for both. It's a moisturizing braid spray.

I use African Royale Braid Spray. And it recently bought there M.O.M. Oil
Moisturizer and put it in a slanted tip color applicator bottle and put that on
my scalp too. I find the slanted tips gets in there better. And for oil, I use Kemi Oyl. All of these, plus regular shampooing every two weeks keeps my hair moisturized. Oh, the PJ in me had me trying Fantazia IC leave-in moisturizer this go-round and my hair wants as tangled when I took my weave down so I think I'll keep this in the regimen too.

Oh, and for strength I spray diluted infuisim in my hair too every few days.
You need both strength and moisture to keep your hair balance right.

Back