Ladies with pen-spring sized curls/coils

I LOVE every single one of my pen-spring coils :grouphug3:and cannot keep my fingers off of them!!! I think they are just the cutest little things! I never knew I had them all over until I began working in sections and stopped co-washing and attempting wash-n-go's. I need freshly cleaned hair to see my coils.

My standard regimen: I pre-poo with Tresemme Naturals or Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle; usually cleanse w/some form of bentonite clay (Teressentials or DIY/coconut water); and I've been consistently using KCKT and KCCC.

This past week I found that not watering down KCCC adds weight to my curls so I got a bit more hangtime and movement. Sometimes I will pull out my shampoo bar from Cush Cosmetics, and I do use a comb on occasion.

I think my SSKs, the few that I have, are from shaking after I've styled.

Just imagine that one day your tiny curls will look like this..........

I LOVE every single one of my pen-spring coils :grouphug3:and cannot keep my fingers off of them!!! I think they are just the cutest little things! I never knew I had them all over until I began working in sections and stopped co-washing and attempting wash-n-go's. I need freshly cleaned hair to see my coils.

My standard regimen: I pre-poo with Tresemme Naturals or Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle; usually cleanse w/some form of bentonite clay (Teressentials or DIY/coconut water); and I've been consistently using KCKT and KCCC.

This past week I found that not watering down KCCC adds weight to my curls so I got a bit more hangtime and movement. Sometimes I will pull out my shampoo bar from Cush Cosmetics, and I do use a comb on occasion.

I think my SSKs, the few that I have, are from shaking after I've styled.

have you found a product to seperate & define your coils? I'd love to wear a style that shows off my curls. But, they are so skinny I don't know how to pull that off. I want to be able to loosen, define, & weigh down my hair. Any suggestions? TIA

Extreme wetline gel from sally's is what I mainly use. It has no protein and drys with a soft hold as long as I don't use too much. It doesn't flake either.
The shrinkage isn't bad at all either.

I'm a lazy natural so I'm a wash & go daily type. This used to be cowashing daily but I've found if I wet my hair on the days I don't cowash that is fine too. Ingredients are key for me. Hibiscus, honey, aloe vera, rhassoul clay, cassia, fenugreek, hemp seed, almond, banana, agave nectar, coffee, tea, sunflower,and protein are ingredients that my hair loves. I don't need to define my hair. If it is moisturized it is defined. I use the LOC method on wet & dry hair. Once home I do stretch my hair by pulling it into two puffs or a bun. Twists tangle my hair and I learned my lesson from doing a braid out once....never again. My hair got so tangled I almost cried.

I elongate and define my WnGs by twisting the hair while it's still wet after washing. Afterward I remove the twists one by one, applying gel to each twist strand as I go. This elongates my poofy fro into defined waves/curls and does help reduces my SSKs too. :yep: It does reduce volume though so you may not be a big fan if you like bigger hair.

And in my experience it looks crisper if I dry under the drier and don't airdry.

Doesn't the gel make it revert? Or does it stay stretched for the most part?

Doesn't the gel make it revert? Or does it stay stretched for the most part?
The hair is still wet in the twists, so it will naturally shrink back to it's own curl pattern. But it does shrink less and looks sleeker, reduces frizz and flyaways. Makes the hair look shinier than otherwise too I think.

For example, to the left is what my hair does seconds out the shower (it strongly resists water so it looks dry but it's completely drenched there) and to the right is my WnG. If I don't braid the hair first and just apply gel all over that, the style looks too huge and too obnoxious (for my liking) to wear out...something like my avy (but I have sections braided there) which I don't wear out unless I want to spend all day fighting the elements it catches on to. The pic to the left is just a small section, the one on the right is the whole side of my hair. It really makes a difference for me. Both pics show wet hair so there's shrinking and growing to do in both shots, but you can see the difference.

wng.png

The hair is still wet in the twists, so it will naturally shrink back to it's own curl pattern. But it does shrink less and looks sleeker, reduces frizz and flyaways. Makes the hair look shinier than otherwise too I think.

For example, to the left is what my hair does seconds out the shower (it strongly resists water so it looks dry but it's completely drenched there) and to the right is my WnG. If I don't braid the hair first and just apply gel all over that, the style looks too huge and too obnoxious (for my liking) to wear out...something like my avy (but I have sections braided there) which I don't wear out unless I want to spend all day fighting the elements it catches on to. The pic to the left is just a small section, the one on the right is the whole side of my hair. It really makes a difference for me. Both pics show wet hair so there's shrinking and growing to do in both shots, but you can see the difference.

View attachment 352049

Well your hair looks gorgeous in both pics! I think you look great with the big hair!

Back