Ladies with pen-spring sized curls/coils

MeccaMedinah

have you found a product to seperate & define your coils? I'd love to wear a style that shows off my curls. But, they are so skinny I don't know how to pull that off. I want to be able to loosen, define, & weigh down my hair. Any suggestions? TIA

Banding small braids helps, maybe adding a light grease type product. I did like Sophia's old fashioned hair grease (myhoneychild) but it started leaving a white residue. So I'm on the search for a new one because it (grease) seems to be the only think that works with small coils(IMHO). WGO is pretty good too though (I mix with hot six oil). Good luck girlie.:)

classimami713 said:
Sometimes, a shake and go on a twistout makes the curls/coils clump together nicely.

Yeah, I'm looking for a product that will allow me to shake & go. I wear twistouts everyday; but I want something that doesn't require all that twisting. (I retwist everynight & set on perm rods.)

hopeful said:
Banding small braids helps, maybe adding a light grease type product. I did like Sophia's old fashioned hair grease (myhoneychild) but it started leaving a white residue. So I'm on the search for a new one because it (grease) seems to be the only think that works with small coils(IMHO). WGO is pretty good too though (I mix with hot six oil). Good luck girlie.:)

Will this enhance my coils? Or create crinkles/waves?

MeccaMedinah said:
Yeah, I'm looking for a product that will allow me to shake & go. I wear twistouts everyday; but I want something that doesn't require all that twisting. (I retwist everynight & set on perm rods.)

When I twist at night, my hair is in big twists that take no more than 10 minutes to do. They don't have to be neat or anything, because I rinse my hair in the AM. The twists just set the hair a bit.

I use a liquid gel mixed with some suave conditioner for my shake and go. HTH!

classimami713 said:
When I twist at night, my hair is in big twists that take no more than 10 minutes to do. They don't have to be neat or anything, because I rinse my hair in the AM. The twists just set the hair a bit.

I use a liquid gel mixed with some suave conditioner for my shake and go. HTH!

I will try this! And gel recommendations? Thanks!

MeccaMedinah said:
have you found a product to seperate & define your coils? I'd love to wear a style that shows off my curls. But, they are so skinny I don't know how to pull that off. I want to be able to loosen, define, & weigh down my hair. Any suggestions? TIA

To separate and define I found what works best for me is wetting in the shower and adding plain ol' conditioner. Stays defined soft and non frizzy all day. You just have to rewet it every day. As far as weighing down and loosening the curls I havent found a product besides a relaxer to do that to my hair yet :lol:

Fantasia IC w/sparkelites is a great gel that defines and clumps well and does'nt get hard.

I agree with the other ladies a twist or braid out is a great way to get definition. Especially If my hairs been twisted or braided up for a few days, I can take it down and rinse it in the shower, add a little conditioner without disturbing the pattern and do that for days up until my next wash and it will be fresh but still defined and natural looking.

classimami713 said:
Dark and Lovely Honey wave glaze or EQP Feels like silk. :up:

Don't get excited about this one :nono: it's been discontinued by Dark and Lovely. :(

MeccaMedinah said:

Have you tried Kinky-Curly products yet? http://www.kinky-curly.com

CurlyCrly said:
Have you tried Kinky-Curly products yet? http://www.kinky-curly.com

I know that you and a few other ladies like this, so I planning on ordering it. I haven't yet because I wanted to try and save on shipping by getting it from NC. But they don't have the Jojoba Jelly(?) But Imma stop being cheap and just order the Custard & Jelly from her.

MeccaMedinah said:
Will this enhance my coils? Or create crinkles/waves?

MeccaMedinah, grease and WGO enhances my coils. The coils I have don't even think about waving up. But my hair is still short and shorter than yours so you may get a different affect. HTH

MeccaMedinah said:

I know that you and a few other ladies like this, so I planning on ordering it. I haven't yet because I wanted to try and save on shipping by getting it from NC. But they don't have the Jojoba Jelly(?) But Imma stop being cheap and just order the Custard & Jelly from her.

The Jojoba Jelly is on back order until Further notice, there are production problems with the facility that makes it. Shelley's not happy withthe product they've been turning out so she's been sending it back til they get it right. The Curling Custard is a keeper for me!

Kenra Moisturizing conditioner makes my hair curly...I think its the wheat protein that does it. I use it as a deep conditioner and as a leave-in.

caligirl said:
Kenra Moisturizing conditioner makes my hair curly...I think its the wheat protein that does it. I use it as a deep conditioner and as a leave-in.

I wonder if this is the same protein in the Got2Be Smooth Miracle Repair Treatment. That product makes my hair super curly...

hopeful said:
MeccaMedinah, grease and WGO enhances my coils. The coils I have don't even think about waving up. But my hair is still short and shorter than yours so you may get a different affect. HTH

something of a grease texture does the same thing for me...gels do it too but i have to have some grease up in the mix....

Clarifying my hair makes my curls pop like nothing else. I use the Olive Oil shampoo, the
green one that neutralizes as well. It doesn't strip your hair but cleans it very well.

I rarely ever wear wash n go though. I just found that it's something my springy hair does not like. Single strand knot galore.

Clarifying my hair makes my curls pop like nothing else. I use the Olive Oil shampoo, the
green one that neutralizes as well. It doesn't strip your hair but cleans it very well.

I rarely ever wear wash n go though. I just found that it's something my springy hair does not like. Single strand knot galore.

I've been trying to make the wash n' go work for me, but the SSKs, though! Uggh!

How do you wear your hair? I so don't want to have to go with twist outs all the time. I'm trying to avoid the constant mechanical manipulation. I might have to go with a weekly twist out.

I've been trying to make the wash n' go work for me, but the SSKs, though! Uggh!

How do you wear your hair? I so don't want to have to go with twist outs all the time. I'm trying to avoid the constant mechanical manipulation. I might have to go with a weekly twist out.

Twist outs. Bantu knot outs. Pull it to the top of my head and wear it like that all week. Or I straighten it and wear it like that for two weeks. My hair grows better without the wash n go.

I elongate and define my WnGs by twisting the hair while it's still wet after washing. Afterward I remove the twists one by one, applying gel to each twist strand as I go. This elongates my poofy fro into defined waves/curls and does help reduces my SSKs too. :yep: It does reduce volume though so you may not be a big fan if you like bigger hair.

And in my experience it looks crisper if I dry under the drier and don't airdry.

I don't wash and go. I lost a Lot of hair that way (I was trying max hydration method). I currently protective style in bunned twists 90% of the time and wear braidouts when I feel it.

Last edited:
Interesting I am quite different from most people here just goes to show how curl pattern does not dictate what works for you. Personally I used to have tons of knots until I figured a few things out. First products matter only to a certain degree... what ever ingredients your hair does not like don't use. For example my hair does not like wheat protein, shea butter and it is funny about glycerin. So if those ingredients are in a product I don't use them. I am not a fan of chemicals so I tend to shy away from those which means water will clean my hair. The second thing is regular trims. Last year I got my hair trimmed every 10-12 weeks and I have no knots which was huge for me. Third I only touch my hair when it is wet or damp so if I need to reshape it or something I have to spritz it first. Last is less is more. I used to use tons of products and now that I know what my hair likes I tend to buy less and less - well I am still a sucker for an etsy store :-)

As for styling I only wash and go, when it gets old if I do not have time to wash it I will wear it in a bun or pick it out into an afro. Manipulating my hair means knots so styles like twist outs and bantu knots confuse my hair unless it is a special occasion that is a no no. Shrinkage is real the longer I go between wash days the shorter it is. I stopped fighting it and embraced it so I often wear a full curly fro.

I will also advocate for the MHM because that really helped a lot.

HTH

I had and undefined cotton ball. The only things that loosened it were:

-Henna. Thats not for everyone.
-protein treatments and moisture balance

Also chelation and clarifying regularly helps.

For knots, its a battle but keeping these fine fragile ends trimmed via regular dusting and seek and destroys is the only thing that works.

Also keep the ends from getting bushy lets my coils definition show better.

You sound like a hair cousin @Ajna. Everything you describe in your post here is exactly what I do/ how I feel, except to avoid knots, I rarely pick my hair out for a style.

Keeping my hair hydrated is key. I cleanse regularly with clay- always in small sections to avoids knots and tangles, and will shampoo very rarely.

I also stay away from things I know for sure my pen spring coils hate (particularly in my stylers- glycerin, wheat protein, dimethicone, many polyquats, regular London water). Maximum Hydration Method really helped me discover my hair's likes and dislikes.

I don't comb my hair, and rarely brush my hairline to smooth when I wear it up. I separate my coils with my fingers while applying gel. Filtered water, clay and Kinky Curling Custard are my hair's best friends. This gel really is the business when I comes to elongation because my hair doesn't really shrink when I use it (heavily diluted so my hair is not crunchy). Not touching my coils helps too (don't want to break the gel cast too soon) but I haven't mastered that yet.

I dabble in adding ingredients to my clay but for the most part, I am no longer tempted to try all these delicious sounding products because a) my hair doesn't seem to need them, and b) I know what works and the minute I read something I know my hair can't tolerate in a styler, I lose interest.

I had my best definition when doing the Maximum Hydration Method. While I do think the frequent washing (and moisture from washing) helped, I think the choice of products was a bigger factor because I still use MHM approved products and get great definition without daily washing.

That being said, I get the best definition on my hair from:
  • Clay Masks
  • Cherry Lola Treatments
  • Aloe Vera Gel (I mix it with my leave in and seal with oil. Aloe vera gel as a gel by itself gives me crunchy, dry hair)
  • Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
I find keeping my hair stretched and moisturized helps with SSKs.

Back