Ladies who wrap their hair at night.....

Kiadodie

Do you wrap in a different direction every night or every week or what? I'm noticing that my hair got thinner from parting it on one side so now I switch the sides sometimes and that helps.
How often do y'all switch the direction you wrap your hair?

I don't wrap often but when I do I alternate directions every night.

Now let me introduce you to the mohawk set, its better than a wrap.

*waiting for mohawk set introduction....*

Yeah when I wrap I change direction every week. The daily change was too much for my hair.

simplycee said:
I don't wrap often but when I do I alternate directions every night.

Now let me introduce you to the mohawk set, its better than a wrap.
I never thought I'd see the day that something was better than a wrap. do tell.

It never occured to me to change directions when I wrap my hair. I will do that.

I'm so used to wrapping my hair to the right, that when I do try to do it to the left, it's a little painful. I still do it because I've heard so many say that it keeps the hair from thinning so much on one side. I'm not sure if my hair is thinner on one side, but I do notice that the side that I wrap my hair toward is always straighter, and I spend a lot more time trying to get the other side straight. I would love to find an alternative.

When I use to wear my hair straight often I would alternate ways every nite. But now since I wear my hair straight occassionally I wrap it the same way every nite for that week. Also when I wrapped my hair last nite I finger combed my hair into a wrap. I don't know if that makes a difference in the amount of body my hair will have when I take the scarf off but we shall see.

Sorry ladies I forgot all about this post. Better late than never, right? I am not the creator of this set we have DJD to thank for that but I tell everybody that will listen about it because it works.

I do this on dry hair right before I go to bed. For this set you will need: 3 or 4 large or jumbo rollers (mesh or magnetic), 3 or 4 clips to hold the rollers in place (I use long bobby pins or the long siver duck billed clips for rollersetting), comb, moisturizer and scarf or bonnet.

1. Apply moisturizer to hair concentrating on your ends.
2. Using comb (or fingers) comb all your hair back. Make 3 horizontal parts from ear to ear. Use a clip to seperate the bottom two sections so you can work with the top third.
3. Comb the first section so that it smooth and roll the ENTIRE first section on one roller and use clip to secure.
4. Repeat step 3 on second and third sections.
5. When finished you should have 3 (or 4) rollers stacked on top of each other like a mohawk.
6. Tie on scarf or put on bonnet.

In the morning take down rollers and comb or finger comb into place. This set will give you more body and movement than a wrap. If you have hair that is shorter or you want more curl add that 4th section and 4th roller. You won't have the one flat side and one poofy side that you sometimes get with a wrap. You will have a curl or slight bend on your ends. This will also be less stressful to your hairline.

DJD if you are reading jump in anytime with a suggestion or a tip if I left out anything.

Come back and post your results when you've tried it.

simplycee said:
Sorry ladies I forgot all about this post. Better late than never, right? I am not the creator of this set we have DJD to thank for that but I tell everybody that will listen about it because it works.

I do this on dry hair right before I go to bed. For this set you will need: 3 or 4 large or jumbo rollers (mesh or magnetic), 3 or 4 clips to hold the rollers in place (I use long bobby pins or the long siver duck billed clips for rollersetting), comb, moisturizer and scarf or bonnet.

1. Apply moisturizer to hair concentrating on your ends.
2. Using comb (or fingers) comb all your hair back. Make 3 horizontal parts from ear to ear. Use a clip to seperate the bottom two sections so you can work with the top third.
3. Comb the first section so that it smooth and roll the ENTIRE first section on one roller and use clip to secure.
4. Repeat step 3 on second and third sections.
5. When finished you should have 3 (or 4) rollers stacked on top of each other like a mohawk.
6. Tie on scarf or put on bonnet.

In the morning take down rollers and comb or finger comb into place. This set will give you more body and movement than a wrap. If you have hair that is shorter or you want more curl add that 4th section and 4th roller. You won't have the one flat side and one poofy side that you sometimes get with a wrap. You will have a curl or slight bend on your ends. This will also be less stressful to your hairline.

DJD if you are reading jump in anytime with a suggestion or a tip if I left out anything.

Come back and post your results when you've tried it.
Thank you for sharing these steps, Simplycee, I've never tried this or wrapping. How long have you been using this method? Is it a lot of manipulation for the hair or has it been very safe, in your experience?

Last edited:
Isis said:
Thank you for sharing these steps, Simplycee, I've never tried this or wrapping. How long have you been using this method? Is it a lot of manipulation for the hair or has it been very safe, in your experience?

Nope not too much manipulation for me at all. In fact this method is less manipulation that wrapping, imo. I don't even use a comb for this anymore. I part with my fingers and when I take the rollers out I finger comb into place. I love the body and bounce I get. I think I used this set in my avi.

simplycee said:
Nope not too much manipulation for me at all. In fact this method is less manipulation that wrapping, imo. I don't even use a comb for this anymore. I part with my fingers and when I take the rollers out I finger comb into place. I love the body and bounce I get. I think I used this set in my avi.
Your hair looks gorgeous in your avatar. I'm going to do this tonight. Thank you Simplycee.

Just today I decided to start wrapping again because I'm tired of the boring up do's. I've been feeling the need to feel my hair when I move and walk, I just miss my hair, and since it's mine I figure let it out, LOL, but I was skeptical of the wrapping and thinning thing, so I will try the Mohawk Set tonight and will report back tomorrow on my results. :)

I wrap my hair almost everynight, I am not sure but I have my hair cut in long layers to give my hair some thickness since I have really thin hair. So I don't have any thining from the natural thin hair, but I do some different things also. Now I am going to do the roller mohawk.

I wrap one night then pin curl the next since I've heard that too much wrapping causes thinning. I alternate which direction I wrap my hair, I think wrapping in the same direction can be be for your hair.

I have always wrapped my hair up until two years ago when I started on a healthy hair challenge and I began wearing updos and phony ponies. I recelty started wrapping my hair again because I wear it out more often but I've always wrapped it to the right. I have tried wrapping in the opposite direction with no success!! I just can't do it. My hair is trained to go to the right. The one time I did succeed I had no body or shape when I took my hair down the next morning. Can anyone offer me some suggestions on "untraining" my hair to go to the right? I am starting to notice some breakage up front.

Kia,

Just a suggestion...try switching up ever week (for me when I did change directions I need to put some pins in to train the hair in the opposite direction for maybe 2 nites). I tried to do the every nite directional change and all it got me was a sore head. :hammer: You may see a difference.

There also was a thread for rolling your hair in a mohawk, maybe afterwards you could wrap your hair just to get it to set you hair the way you like....HTH

kia said:
Do you wrap in a different direction every night or every week or what? I'm noticing that my hair got thinner from parting it on one side so now I switch the sides sometimes and that helps.
How often do y'all switch the direction you wrap your hair?

Back