Ladies who use Red Palm oil and Palm Kernel oil

Empress Yahudah

Bless Up ladies,
How are u using them... I want to buy some...but i know red palm oil will stain but its packed with vitamins and nutrients so i was thinking maybe as a hot oil treatment or put in conditioner?? ..... and palm kernel oil on scalp and to seal?? since its strengthens and thicken hair over time

How does this sound and how are u using them TIA :)

I use palm kernal oil, and I let it get liquid - partially thick, and while my hair is damp, I dip my comb into it, and comb my hair with the coated comb. It's the best way for me to distribute it through my hair. I leave it in my hair - I usually put my hair into my protective style after that.
I'm a natural, short haired, 4a.

nappywomyn said:
I use palm kernal oil, and I let it get liquid - partially thick, and while my hair is damp, I dip my comb into it, and comb my hair with the coated comb. It's the best way for me to distribute it through my hair. I leave it in my hair - I usually put my hair into my protective style after that.
I'm a natural, short haired, 4a.

Thank u nappywoman so u heat urs alittle to get it liquid??

jarcomb-hi.jpg

Try the Ojon treatment... it soaks right into your hair and doesn't stain...just costs more:ohwell:Does anyone know if red palm oil smells like the ojon treatment?

Back home, that is what i used weekly for deepconditioning. Yes it will stain your clothes if you use too much. It is really a great oil full of cholesterol. I never use it as a leave in . Just deep cond with or without heat and then shampoo. THe red Palm oil it is.

bravenewgirl87 said:
jarcomb-hi.jpg

Try the Ojon treatment... it soaks right into your hair and doesn't stain...just costs more:ohwell:Does anyone know if red palm oil smells like the ojon treatment?

thank u bravenewgirl87....lol yes i know of Ojon but cant imagine paying $50 bucks for something i can get for 6.....I was thinking maybe they use refined palm oil since it doesnt stain ..refined palm oil doesnt have alot of the nutirents that red palm oil has

Last edited:
blackhair said:
Back home, that is what i used weekly for deepconditioning. Yes it will stain your clothes if you use too much. It is really a great oil full of cholesterol. I never use it as a leave in . Just deep cond with or without heat and then shampoo. THe red Palm oil it is.

MissMadaam said:
thank u bravenewgirl87....lol yes i know of Ojon but cant imagine paying $50 bucks for something i can get for 6.....I was thinking maybe they use refined palm oil since it doesnt stain ..refined palm oil doesnt have alot of the nutirents that red palm oil has

Thats what i think. I am stingy with my tiny bottle. You can try buying the oil and mixing it into your everyday moisturizer or your leave-in. Maybe dilute it and put it into a spray bottle... that way you can be more liberal with the use and it might not stain as heavily if you don't use as much.

bravenewgirl87 said:
Thats what i think. I am stingy with my tiny bottle. You can try buying the oil and mixing it into your everyday moisturizer or your leave-in. Maybe dilute it and put it into a spray bottle... that way you can be more liberal with the use and it might not stain as heavily if you don't use as much.

Good ideas thank u :)

I have used red palm oil in the past and loved it -- except for the staining. It seems to get on everything. I came up with a good way of using it while minimizing the messiness of it -- I blended with a olive oil or aloe vera or herbal or tea tree oil cholesteral for either a pre-poo or after shampoo conditioning. It worked like a charm! I recently re-ordered some red palm oil, but I received palm kernel oil. I also ordered red turkey oil and received peach kernel oil...Needless to say that I will not be ordering from that vendor again who couldn't even be bothered to answer emails. Anyway, I have actually fallen in love with the palm kernel oil -- totally. I have a butter blend that I added it to and it has turned it into an amazing pre-poo. I also use the butter blend on my hands and it makes my hands so soft, moist and pretty that I keep staring at them and everyone at work has made me bring them some.

P.S. I bought the Ojon when it first came out and it worked very well for me. It lasted me almost a year using it once a week way before I starting CO washing or rinsing daily. I bought another jar two years ago, which I still have because I haven't used it. I am packing it up to send to my mom. I've discovered so many other wonderful things from joining LHCF, things even better than the Ojon and much cheaper. However, the Ojon helped me tremendously when I was transitioning in late 2003 and I couldn't have done it without breaking down and getting another relaxer if not for the Ojon.

MissMadaam said:
Bless Up ladies,
How are u using them... I want to buy some...but i know red palm oil will stain but its packed with vitamins and nutrients so i was thinking maybe as a hot oil treatment or put in conditioner?? ..... and palm kernel oil on scalp and to seal?? since its strengthens and thicken hair over time

How does this sound and how are u using them TIA :)
I apply it over my conditioner then place a plastic bag over my head and use a heating cap..it really helps with moisture & softness & sheen

I went out and bought a gallon of this stuff it smells so bad it is just sitting on my shelf wayyy in the back.

texasgrl said:
I went out and bought a gallon of this stuff it smells so bad it is just sitting on my shelf wayyy in the back.

Really? Mine doesn't have a scent... well, not a bad one.

If yours smells bad then you must have bought a spoilt one! I use the palm kernel oil as a pre poo treatment. I sometimes leave it overnight and after washing, my hair is much stronger and moisturised. I haven't tried the red palm oil yet but I think I will be mixing it with my conditioner to see how it would work.
I have a bottle of pure dark palm kernel oil my mum brought me from the local producers.
I think Ojon is charging too much for his palm kernel oil!!

Last edited:
MissMadaam said:
Thank u nappywoman so u heat urs alittle to get it liquid??

:lachen: No, actually - this is the first year that I've used it, and we don't have central air. So, now that it's gotten warmer, the palm oil is just more liquified - the house is warmer overall!

Though, there isn't anything wrong with dipping it into some hot water to get it liquid enough to coat your comb.

I really like using it that way - and since I use plain palm oil, I don't have to worry about it staining.

Is there anyone who has used both regular palm oil AND the red palm oil? If so - did you see any major difference between the red stuff and the plain stuff? It would rock if the plain palm oil acted the same as the red palm oil - but without the staining....

Thanx ladies i just bought some red palm oil at a local Caribbean groc. it was so cheep for alot!! it doesnt have a smell ...they didnt have palm kernel in but the lady said she could get some...my mom was laughing like this is what u came to the store fa getting in touch wit ur roots ehhh...lol... I am going to use the red palm oil as a hot oil treatments or sometimes mixing in with my conditioners...if and when I get my hands on the palm kernal oil ill use it to seal

nappywomyn said:
:lachen: No, actually - this is the first year that I've used it, and we don't have central air. So, now that it's gotten warmer, the palm oil is just more liquified - the house is warmer overall!

Though, there isn't anything wrong with dipping it into some hot water to get it liquid enough to coat your comb.

I really like using it that way - and since I use plain palm oil, I don't have to worry about it staining.

Is there anyone who has used both regular palm oil AND the red palm oil? If so - did you see any major difference between the red stuff and the plain stuff? It would rock if the plain palm oil acted the same as the red palm oil - but without the staining....

I kno...to bad the "not" red palm oil is refined so it doesnt even have the betacarotene, vitamin E, and other nutrients that red palm oil has :ohwell:

MissMadaam said:
Thanx ladies i just bought some red palm oil at a local Caribbean groc. it was so cheep for alot!! it doesnt have a smell ...they didnt have palm kernel in but the lady said she could get some...my mom was laughing like this is what u came to the store fa getting in touch wit ur roots ehhh...lol... I am going to use the red palm oil as a hot oil treatments or sometimes mixing in with my conditioners...if and when I get my hands on the palm kernal oil ill use it to seal

:lachen: :D

I fell in love with Ojon the first time I used it, but I couldn't deal with the price. So after combing the net, I found this source:

http://www.agbangakarite.com/

They sell Virgin Palm Kernel Oil, and it is virtually the same as Ojon IMO.

Palm fruit is the source of both red palm oil - extracted from the fruit, and palm kernel oil - extracted from the seeds.

HTH

mspm said:
I fell in love with Ojon the first time I used it, but I couldn't deal with the price. So after combing the net, I found this source:

Palm fruit is the source of both red palm oil - extracted from the fruit, and palm kernel oil - extracted from the seeds.

HTH

Thats where i was gonna buy it from till i said hmmm im gonna see if any of the carib stores have it one of the ladies said she could get some so im gonna wait and see if she gets it....if not ill order from there....I hope she does get it cuz I bought my red palm oil from there ..1L for 4.50

Last edited:
sunshinelady said:
Or you could get it from me, check the exchange board. ;)

Im good on the red palm oil....u wouldnt happen to have some palm kernal oil stashed anywhere do ya...im still looking for a good buy on that

MissMadaam said:
I kno...to bad the "not" red palm oil is refined so it doesnt even have the betacarotene, vitamin E, and other nutrients that red palm oil has :ohwell:

mspm said:

HTH

So - are they the same, or not? Is it the refining that makes a difference, and not the color? Is refined red palm oil just as pointless as refined white palm oil?

I mean - if the red stuff is better, I might be willing to put up with the stains - but if all that matters is that it's NOT refined....... ????????

nappywomyn said:
So - are they the same, or not? Is it the refining that makes a difference, and not the color? Is refined red palm oil just as pointless as refined white palm oil?

I mean - if the red stuff is better, I might be willing to put up with the stains - but if all that matters is that it's NOT refined....... ????????

When palm oil is refine, bleached, or deodorized the betacaroten/vitamin A is lost and the vitamin E is less not by much tho..see the chart http://www.unu.edu/unupress/food/8F152e/8F152E04.htm As far as the vitamin K and magnesium im not sure if its lost or not I couldnt find any info to whether or not so I just inquire about red palm oil to be on the safe side but ......U can boil red palm oil for a few minutes to get rid of the color/betacarotene.... only the betacarotene is destroyed and become white...
I dont mind it red and want the betacarotene when i do a hot oil treatment with it ...I use the boiled version for regular use....

Palm kernal oil dosent have any of it ..its just high in fatty acids so they are not the same......
The palm oil and palm kernel oil are composed of fatty acids, esterified with glycerol just like any ordinary fat. Both are high in saturated fatty acids, about 50% and 80%, respectively. The oil palm gives its name to the 16 carbon saturated fatty acid palmitic acid found in palm oil; monounsaturated oleic acid is also a constituent of palm oil while palm kernel oil contains mainly lauric acid. Palm oil is the largest natural source of tocotrienol, part of the vitamin E family. Palm oil is also high in vitamin K and dietary magnesium.

Last edited:
Back