Ladies Who Use Oils, Question.....

I just got back to taking care of my ends after a year or two of ignoring them ( idk what possessed me :() and I know the best/safest thing to use is oil which is what I used some years ago but always fell off. I also tried butters but found them too heavy and caused piecey looking hair which I hate. Anyway, I use avocado oil...it's one of the main oils that penetrate the hair shaft along with coconut and olive oil. What I find is that I'll put some ( like a nickel sized amount) on my ends and it will darken them and make them sort of stiffer but not greasy which is fine. The thing is that by the next day or even later the same day the oil is just gone lol, like I never put it in at all. Is that how it's supposed to be or should I use a different oil? Does it mean that the hair is taking the oil in?

If you dont have any other product prior to applying the avocado oil then YES your hair has absorbed the avocado oil.

I would continue to just use that oil because it works both as a moisturizer and a sealant along with evco and evoo.

They just have different degrees of how much they penetrate with evco penetrating the most and avocado the least

Every so often I apply evco on product free hair for a few hours prior to washing and by the time I go to wash most of it has absorbed. I love it

Ehh, I suggest you do an oil rinse. Somehow it infuses the oil in the hair and locks in moisture. You will not need to re-moisturize (or re-oil) for several days up to a week using this method. I find it much more effective than applying oil to dry hair, you will see once u try it out and/or get the hang of it: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=150965
Test it out, it's a pretty quick step to add into your wash routine, should only add about 2minutes, 1 minute to apply (a couple teaspoons in your hands) and then 1 minute to rinse.

I start with a good self or professional cut (watch them as they trim, don't let them turn you around away from the mirror) to get rid of the thins as much as I can stand. I'd rather it be healthy than look long. Then I put Jojoba oil on the ends in the morning and at night. Just a dime size right before I run out the door and just before I go to bed. It worked wonders for my hair and retention and it's not heavy, so it doesn't weight the hair down or make it oily.

Once or twice a week I use a mixture applied to my scalp and massaged in, of the following oils:
Jojoba
Grapeseed
EVCO
EVOO
JBCO
Tea tree
Sage essential oil
Bergamot essential oil
A dab of lemon essential oil

I will try the oil rinse though, sounds interesting. HTH!

When I use oil on my ends, I use a little every day, it will wear off/be absorbed daily.

I've used jojoba oil with good results :)

Back