Ladies who sock bun

Taleah2009

Hello Ladies,

I want to start wearing my hair in a sock bun during the week in order to retain lenght. My hair is a little above SL. I made a bun last nite using an old pair of tights that I had. I CW, applied Giovanni direct leave in, blow dried on a low setting just to get some of the water out, and moistured and sealed my hair. then began to pony my hair. I have three concerns:
1-Is blow drying my hair on a warm setting harmful (my dryer doesnt have cool warm is the lowest, and i dont have the time to let it air dry, and my hair is so thin win it is wet so i need to dry a bit to pull it up.
2-I am transitioning, nine months post, so getting my hair in a pony tail was a bit of a chore. I combed through my roots just to get all my hair together, then i brushed up my hair. Is this too manipulation to get into a bun? I have been trying to practice to comb only on wet hair? How do you ladies get your pony neat?
3-and my big concern is my my tights that i am using? I am concerned it will suck the moisture out of my hair and start to break, which is what I am trying to avoid.

Any advice on your best sock bun techniques are appreciated. I love my results, but I dont want to my efforts to be counterproductive!

thanks ladies! HHG!

"Search" will turn up a lot of information around the board about how ladies do their sock buns. But I can tell you that wrapping your homemade "donut" in some silky fabric will help avoid sucking all of the moisture out of your hair.

Hiya Teleah :waving: welcome. I have no idea what a sock bun is therefore I have no advice, but I wanted to welcome you. I happened to click on your profile by accident and I was amazed to see that we are EXACTLY 10 years apart! (Guess whp's older?! LOL) I've never met anyone else who was born the same day, muchless exactly 10 years later. I thought it was cool and I had to mention it to ya.

I have sock bunned a few times. If you are concern about moisture I add some oil or whatever moisturizer you like to the ponytail and rub some oil on the actual bun itself. I wraped my bun with a nylon knee hi to try to avoid that. Or you could wrap the bun with a piece of silk, satin or fake hair. As far as the blow dryer that depends on your hair. Know one can tell you how your hair will respond to that heat. You will have to try it out. Have you tried to wet bun and scarf for you edges. I have learned through trial and error that brushing my wet hair gives me splits and frizzy hair. I have success with just rubbing my hands over my wet moisturized hair and then use oil or shea butter on my edges and a scarf. hth

i think it'd be quite hard to sock bun at that length without quite a bit of potentially damaging manipulation.
have you considered using a phony bun? or even just some weave hair wrapped around your own to bun? :yep:
to get my hair neat when wet, i just use my jilbere baby brush and then some ecostyler gel. i then tie on a scarf until i get to my destination/have to leave my room, and it's smooth. i'm natural, by the way.

That is pretty cool!

QUOTE=jamaraa;8962228]Hiya Teleah :waving: welcome. I have no idea what a sock bun is therefore I have no advice, but I wanted to welcome you. I happened to click on your profile by accident and I was amazed to see that we are EXACTLY 10 years apart! (Guess whp's older?! LOL) I've never met anyone else who was born the same day, muchless exactly 10 years later. I thought it was cool and I had to mention it to ya.[/QUOTE]

Back