Ladies who planned their BC: Did you do anything special to your hair to prepare??

Diva_Esq

For the ladies who planned their BC, did you do anything special in the month/ week/ night before to prep your hair for the BC?

Wash? Deep condition? Protein? Anything special?

I am just wondering if there is anything special I'd need to do to my hair beforehand to get ready for the BC.

Thanks in advance for answering! :)

Re: Ladies who planned their BC: Did you do anything special to your hair to prepare?

Not really, all I did was wash my hair and I saturated it with whole bottle of Suave Conditioner (the conditioner made my natural hair curly and my relaxed hair stringy which made chopping easy). After that I just rinsed and did a wash and go.

Re: Ladies who planned their BC: Did you do anything special to your hair to prepare?

Not really, all I did was wash my hair and I saturated it with whole bottle of Suave Conditioner (the conditioner made my natural hair curly and my relaxed hair stringy which made chopping easy). After that I just rinsed and did a wash and go.

Did your curl pattern pop immediately when you did that 1st wash & go, or did it take some time?

^^^^^^ what she said.

You got the itch bad, don't you!!
I know the feeling!

Have you done a minichop recently?

^^^^^^ what she said.

You got the itch bad, don't you!!
I know the feeling!

Have you done a minichop recently?

Haha! Don't be trying to read me, Missy! :lachen::lachen:

You know I do! :look: I am prepping myself. I have seen so many beautiful BCs on here. And my relaxed hair is getting super tangly!!

IDK if my hair is just weird or what! People talk a lot on here about detangling their natural hair and that process being a beast, but it's my relaxed ends that tangle and knot! Hate that! :wallbash:

You know I do! :look: I am prepping myself. I have seen so many beautiful BCs on here. And my relaxed hair is getting super tangly!!

IDK if my hair is just weird or what! People talk a lot on here about detangling their natural hair and that process being a beast, but it's my relaxed ends that tangle and knot! Hate that! :wallbash:

Yeah, that's what got me at last.
And the relaxed looking dull and dead compared to my natural hair...

You know, now when I wash I lose about 3/4 less hair...
And my hair glistens with the water in it water, I no longer have the strangly, sad ends heckling me.
THAT feels good!

Ooops, guess I'm a BC pusher..... sorry!

Last edited:

i just drenched my hair in a runny conditioner so that i could see the difference between my coily hair, and my relaxed hair, without having to deal with the tangles that water would cause with those relaxed ends still on. ♥

i just drenched my hair in a runny conditioner so that i could see the difference between my coily hair, and my relaxed hair, without having to deal with the tangles that water would cause with those relaxed ends still on. ♥

Did you do your own BC? I am having a stylist do mine.

For the ladies who planned their BC, did you do anything special in the month/ week/ night before to prep your hair for the BC?

Wash? Deep condition? Protein? Anything special?

I am just wondering if there is anything special I'd need to do to my hair beforehand to get ready for the BC.

Thanks in advance for answering! :)

Well, I sorta kinda planned mine... 3 days before doing it! :lachen:

I did nothing special to prepare. My girlfriend did mine for me. Only because I wanted a lil shape to it. She poo'd and con me. She did the BC while I had con in my hair. I didn't put anythin in it right afterwards until I got home.

I threw in a black hair color, dc and added some KCCC... the results are in my siggy... my hair is wet in that pic... I really love it when it dries though...and add a splash of coconut oil.. I'm good to go!

yep i did my own bc. i kinda wish i would've gone to a salon though because i cut off too much. ♥

Well, I sorta kinda planned mine... 3 days before doing it! :lachen:

I did nothing special to prepare. My girlfriend did mine for me. Only because I wanted a lil shape to it. She poo'd and con me. She did the BC while I had con in my hair. I didn't put anythin in it right afterwards until I got home.

I threw in a black hair color, dc and added some KCCC... the results are in my siggy... my hair is wet in that pic... I really love it when it dries though...and add a splash of coconut oil.. I'm good to go!

Looks gorgeous! Congrats!

yep i did my own bc. i kinda wish i would've gone to a salon though because i cut off too much. ♥

That's what I'm afraid of, so I am going to my stylist!

i slathered my hair with lots of conditioner, then started to chop chop chop

i need to get out this thread before i bc:giggle:

post a pic of your ng
:Flahsssss

Wet new growth:
picture.php

Dry new growth:
picture.php

Nice new growth! All I did to prepare was give myself a pep talk, then washed and conditioned. I left the conditioner in and started cutting.

Hey there, Diva Esq! :wave:

The night before my BC (which I did myself), I did a protein treatment with Aphogee 2-Minute Reconstructor and sat for 20 minutes under the dryer. I followed that up with Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner for 20 minutes under the dryer too. The protein/moisture combo made my natural hair really strong and curly, while my relaxed hair was straight ... which made it VERY easy to cut. I actually documented the whole thing with pictures in my Fotki if you want to check it out:

http://public.fotki.com/TaraDyan/my-natural-hair-alb/big-chop-photos-09-01-08/

I did my regular dc and cut my hair wet first then I cut dried. The only problem I had was that there is 3 different textures in my hair and one area was straighter so I cut hair that was not relax.

nope, my NG was all healthy hair (as opposed to those ugly relaxed ends) so i cowashed and went at it. my mom helped me some, but it was so liberating i did it mostly myself. i didn't cut too much (except for maybe one curl) because it was so easy to see the difference between my curls and the relaxed ends.

for mini-chops i went to stylists, but there was something about doing my own BC that just felt so right.

Nice new growth! All I did to prepare was give myself a pep talk, then washed and conditioned. I left the conditioner in and started cutting.

:lachen:

The night before my BC (which I did myself), I did a protein treatment with Aphogee 2-Minute Reconstructor and sat for 20 minutes under the dryer. I followed that up with Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner for 20 minutes under the dryer too. The protein/moisture combo made my natural hair really strong and curly, while my relaxed hair was straight ... which made it VERY easy to cut. I actually documented the whole thing with pictures in my Fotki if you want to check it out:

:hiya: And thanks for the link! I will check it out!

nope, my NG was all healthy hair (as opposed to those ugly relaxed ends) so i cowashed and went at it. my mom helped me some, but it was so liberating i did it mostly myself. i didn't cut too much (except for maybe one curl) because it was so easy to see the difference between my curls and the relaxed ends.

for mini-chops i went to stylists, but there was something about doing my own BC that just felt so right.

Brave woman! Congrats! :)

Your curlies went BOING instantly! Thanks for the link! And great job with your chop!

Its my relaxed ends that tangle up too. I am 14 months posts, and I can finger my ng, but new growth be like:nono: its driving me nuts. I am thinking of just going ahead and chop. but this is the longest my hair has every been before (i am almost apl in the front). with all these knowledge i have been learning on here, i am still scared my hair wont grow back :perplexed I have tentatively set my cut for next month. soo nervous! never had short here before. i have always been SL

Its my relaxed ends that tangle up too. I am 14 months posts, and I can finger my ng, but new growth be like:nono: its driving me nuts. I am thinking of just going ahead and chop. but this is the longest my hair has every been before (i am almost apl in the front). with all these knowledge i have been learning on here, i am still scared my hair wont grow back :perplexed I have tentatively set my cut for next month. soo nervous! never had short here before. i have always been SL

Looks like we are in about the same boat, except that my hair grew to APL with relaxers...but longer without. I have set my date and I may be moving it up! I am so sick of bunning and these ends suck! :wallbash: I feel ya pain!

Looks like we are in about the same boat, except that my hair grew to APL with relaxers...but longer without. I have set my date and I may be moving it up! I am so sick of bunning and these ends suck! :wallbash: I feel ya pain!
Yes! this ends suck. I dont know how transitioners co-wash many times per week, because that is just a detangling nightmare. I gave up on that long time ago!

Oh, and let me know what you decide. I think I am just going to do it. Its just hair right:perplexed:lachen:

Yes! this ends suck. I dont know how transitioners co-wash many times per week, because that is just a detangling nightmare. I gave up on that long time ago!

I cowash daily, but it's just when I wear a braidout for a few days that it gets bad! Tangly mess! But when I am cowashing, I noticed that the comb glides through my NG like a ninja! :lachen: But it snags and tangles on my relaxed ends! Fooey! I want them GONE! :wallbash:

Oh, and let me know what you decide. I think I am just going to do it. Its just hair right:perplexed:lachen:

I am thinking about doing it early. Part of it is I am embarking upon an office Biggest Loser challenge and want to lose about 15 so my face will be slimmer. :yep: So it'll either be May or June. But yes, it's just HAIR! :)

I didn't really plan it thoroughly. I worked up enough guts to do it and haven't looked back since. My friend came over and chopped it for me.

I have 4a/b hair and although I have coils, I have cottony goodness. I do partial wng's.... meaning I don't go for curl definition I co-wash, apply leave ins, and pick. It dries into a soft fro. LadyPhayNYC (I think that's her name...can't remember) did a tutorial that gave me good curl definition but I need to find the right products.

I didn't really plan it thoroughly. I worked up enough guts to do it and haven't looked back since. My friend came over and chopped it for me.

I have 4a/b hair and although I have coils, I have cottony goodness. I do partial wng's.... meaning I don't go for curl definition I co-wash, apply leave ins, and pick. It dries into a soft fro. LadyPhayNYC (I think that's her name...can't remember) did a tutorial that gave me good curl definition but I need to find the right products.

Sounds cute! :) How much hair did you have left when you BC'd?

Back