Ladies who got the Brazilian Keratin Treatment: Updates on BKT and questions

I asked the same question last week - lol (cant find the link now though). I've been told they can be used safely in conjunction with each other. And since BKT is keratin and the MT is protein, it makes sense. Many members on here use both......

Ok, thank you so much!:grin:

Ok - im just gonna continue posting all up in here - just cuz i'm bored and know the answers - lol. :grin:
Yes, it can be used on relaxed and natural all the same. Its supposed to last longer on relaxed hair and is recommended for colored hair as well. It reinforces the hair with keratin and will make it stronger against breakage and shiny (the reason relaxed heads like it) and easily styled and easy to manage/detangle (the reason naturals like it). Just keep in mind - its not permanent (wears off in a couple months) and b/c of this, whenever you do it, you have to do the whole head, rather than just the roots. hth..

Thanks for posting this. I'm seriously going to look into this. Even if my hair doesn't get straight, if this helps make it softer and more manageable, that will be great. The Culture Salon in Houston does it, but I have to find out if it's the one with no formaldehyde.

Last edited:
so this treatment last for 2-3 mos dpending on if your relaxed or natural, your hair stays straight when washed and your hair reverts back to is regular texture after 2-3 mos?(no demarcation line, no difference in textures, just silkier smoother hair) your hair can be washed and styled has normal 3 days after use

Can I use a heat protectant before flatironing but after applying the treatment?

u shouldnt need one. the treatment itself is kinda wet - it IS the heat protectant - its a coating like using a serum or smthg, keeping hair moisturized underneath and easy to heat style.

so this treatment last for 2-3 mos dpending on if your relaxed or natural, your hair stays straight when washed and your hair reverts back to is regular texture after 2-3 mos?(no demarcation line, no difference in textures, just silkier smoother hair) your hair can be washed and styled has normal 3 days after use

for me - my hair keeps some wave/texture when wet (just like when i was relaxed) but its easier to detangle and if i wanted it straight it would take 30 mins under the dryer rather than an hour - for people who are short on time. and the demarcation line is MUCH less noticeable.

u shouldnt need one. the treatment itself is kinda wet - it IS the heat protectant - its a coating like using a serum or smthg, keeping hair moisturized underneath and easy to heat style.

Thank you for your feed back.
Im interested in this.

crazydaze your natural right? what's your texture? does your hair still look natural can you still wear natural styles (twists, braid outs) sorry for the questions I just don't want my hair permanetly straight, I want something that I can still wear natural styles but no knots and tangles. if I were to just do it twice a year will this give me what im looking for?

crazydaze your natural right? what's your texture? does your hair still look natural can you still wear natural styles (twists, braid outs) sorry for the questions I just don't want my hair permanetly straight, I want something that I can still wear natural styles but no knots and tangles. if I were to just do it twice a year will this give me what im looking for?

i've been transitioning since dec 06 - so half natural, i guess. i think i am a 3c, mixed with 4a. I can still wear wash and gos and braid outs but never had the hair for a poof or anything like that. its pretty much comparable to a texlax (less tangles but still has texture) w/out the permanency.

no problem - i like to feel semi-usefull :grin:
ok - just for you guys - i took a pic of my wet hair after i washed yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG00256.jpg
    IMG00256.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 220
Crazydaze...I made an apt for Saturday. I'm getting the relaxer bug, so figured I would do this instead. Thanks for the info:yep:

I just did BKT for the first time on Thursday. I washed today. I'm sad I didn't take a picture of my hair. I have a few pictures I took later that day with my cat, and in some of them you can see the shine at least, on my journal. Direct link here I did the treatment myself, it was easy for me. (Of course, I never say do it yourself. :D Just because I take the chance, doesn't mean everyone should.) The fumes only really bothered me when I was APPLYING it. And then, it just made my eyes water a bit. I loved how it turned out. The newgrowth right up against my scalp, I couldn't get...but the rest of the new growth came out mostly straight...its still got a wave to it, but that's okay, I can get a comb through it. I was three of four months past relaxer. My hair likes to build static though, so by today, it was a little poofy from static since I couldn't tie it back or use clips...but it was wash day. Its air drying now, I washed using Hair One, and applied my coconut oil. So far, its staying straight. Its about 80% dry and it isn't poofy. Which is good. If my hair is going to poof, it does so well before its dry.

edit: I did use a fan blowing directly on my face, and I aired the room.

Last edited:
I'm really interested in this, especially if there are milder formulas that allow you to retain some of your texture.

BKT (or similar products) users;

I would like to see:
*pictures of wet hair
*pictures of braid outs / twist outs
*air-dried pictures

I would like to hear:
* whether the treatment has made your hair weaker / stronger
* whether it has reduced breakage and split ends and increased retention, or had no effect at all.

I'll be watching this (and waiting for the price to decrease :look:).

picture.php

That's mine airdried...I had it in a clippie, so its got a bend in it, but its laying flat other than that. :D

That's mine airdried...I had it in a clippie, so its got a bend in it, but its laying flat other than that. :D

Thanks for your post.

Your hair looks very much like relaxed hair (with a bit of texture left in). Are there any differences that you can think of?

Also my questions (adding to the ones above):
* has the treatment made your hair weaker / stronger?
* has it reduced breakage and split ends and increased retention, or had no effect at all?
* is combing your hair easier?
* does the treatment make your hair stiff ? (that would be my worry, given that it is a *keratin* treatment)

Thank you so much.

Thanks for posting this. I'm seriously going to look into this. Even if my hair doesn't get straight, if this helps make it softer and more manageable, that will be great. The Culture Salon in Houston does it, but I have to find out if it's the one with no formaldehyde.

Yea! Just in case I ever decide to do this, I can get it done when I go home :grin:.

I just did BKT for the first time on Thursday. I washed today. I'm sad I didn't take a picture of my hair. I have a few pictures I took later that day with my cat, and in some of them you can see the shine at least, on my journal. http://chokitty.blogspot.com/ I did the treatment myself, it was easy for me. (Of course, I never say do it yourself. :D Just because I take the chance, doesn't mean everyone should.) The fumes only really bothered me when I was APPLYING it. And then, it just made my eyes water a bit. I loved how it turned out. The newgrowth right up against my scalp, I couldn't get...but the rest of the new growth came out mostly straight...its still got a wave to it, but that's okay, I can get a comb through it. I was three of four months past relaxer. My hair likes to build static though, so by today, it was a little poofy from static since I couldn't tie it back or use clips...but it was wash day. Its air drying now, I washed using Hair One, and applied my coconut oil. So far, its staying straight. Its about 80% dry and it isn't poofy. Which is good. If my hair is going to poof, it does so well before its dry.

edit: I did use a fan blowing directly on my face, and I aired the room.

Which BKT treatment did you use and where did you order it from?

Ladies, i'm still on a search for a place that does it in manhattan for a reasonable price. I found an asian place that does in Forest hills.. but I dunno if i want to do it there for thier lack of knowledge w my (our) textured hair. i'm planning on using BKT for like, ever. I'm currently still relaxing my hair (not bone straight) but this could help extend relaxer time/keep my hair very healthy.

Also, for those that dont know, you have to use one w ether or formaldehyde as that is what gets and keeps your hair straight. If you use one w/o it on your hair, your hair will revert (will not be stright after first wash after the bkt)

Also, for those that dont know, you have to use one w ether or formaldehyde as that is what gets and keeps your hair straight. If you use one w/o it on your hair, your hair will revert (will not be stright after first wash after the bkt)
But will it still be stretched out and easier to detangle? That's a greater priority for me than straight hair.

No one is answering my questions above ... :crying3:

Back