Ladies who don't strecth, GET IN HERE!!!

bellebebe

I stretch three month periods and I always notice that it's when I lose the most hair. I'm asking myself "what's the point of stretching?" when I lose more hair?

Ladies, how often do you get relaxers? and do you lose more hair when you are stretching?

I stretch three month periods and I always notice that it's when I lose the most hair. I'm asking myself "what's the point of stretching?" when I lose more hair?

Ladies, how often do you get relaxers? and do you lose more hair when you are stretching?

There is a thread around dealing with this. Sorry I can't link to it because we have already established my searching and linking skills are crap.

Anyway, I was thinking about this last night. I have been stretching for 13 weeks. But when I washed my hair last night at 10 weeks :nono:! I had a serious growth spurt these last ten weeks so I am going to have to relax early before I lose hair.

Last edited:
I usually stretch 12 weeks, once stretch for 14 weeks. I don't lose any additional hair, I just can't comb my hair. I vowed not to stretch to a point, that I cant get the comb thru my hair. Since summer I can only go 10 weeks. When its time, I relax. I like my straight hair and able to comb it.

I don't stretch :nono: I lost a lot of hair trying.

I relax every 7-9 weeks with no problems because I make sure that I cover my previously relaxed hair.

Last edited:
The only benefit to stretching is to prevent overlapping or if someone has a very sensitive scalp and needs more time in between to apply chemicals. That's it. As long as it's done properly and it doesn't get on the previously relaxed areas it's fine. Also, your supposed to base all the previously relaxed parts before getting a touch of anyway for this exact reason. MOST stylists and people don't do this.

10 weeks is my average touch-up time, at this hair length. As my hair gets longer, I will be able to stretch longer.

I try to listen to my hair and do what is best for the health of it. I don't understand stretching when it is not beneficial to the health of your hair by not being able to comb it, or it breaking off.

I'm in the same boat as you stretching for me= hairloss, breakage and tears:look:. I don't relax a much a I used to before this board it was 6 weeks like clock work. But I found that I can go about 8-10 weeks now. To some that's still too much but one thing I have learned on this board what works for one won't work for all, I am a lot more comfortable with the products and processes I use on my hair now. You have to find what works for you.

I relax every 8 weeks. Yes, I lose WAY more hair if I stretch and find it really doesn't make a difference.

I tried stretching to 12 weeks and it was a disaster. Now I relax every 7-9 weeks. And my hair is very healthy.

I don't stretch my relaxers because I love having hair. I relax my hair every 7-9 weeks.

I see too many folks losing hair trying to stretch. Losing hair is defeating the purpose of stretching.

If stretching is damaging the hair, what's the point in doing it? Afterall, we're trying to grow it.

I tried stretching and it was awful. So much breakage and I had to be very careful combing. Not worth it. I cover the previously relaxed hair with Vaseline and my progress is coming along nicely.

This would be mmmeee! But since I'm wigging it I'm going for 12 weeks instead of 10 lol! I lost so much hair on my last stretch when I was wearing my own hair. I vowed never to do it again.

Great thread OP, I wish I could find the other one that was mentioned. I stretch to about 12-14 weeks, but I will be cutting back to 10 weeks since I like wearing my hair. I love wearing it out! I do buns also, but surprisingly only when my relaxer is somewhat "fresh" because I like for them to be sleek. I agree with you ladies - if its not beneficial - and for me long stretches are not...then it isn't worth the aggravation.

I used to get relaxers every 6-8 weeks and my hair grew to bsl just fine. You just have to try your best not to overlap, and I was never relaxed bone straight so even if there was a bit of overlap, it wasn't on for that long anyway. I started stretching to 13 weeks and I didn't lose any hair but I never went further than 13 weeks. If I wasn't transitioning, I would keep it at 13 weeks. Anything longer is unnecessary.....If I had more money, I wouldve probably kept doing it every 6-8 lol

My stylist has finally convinced me to not stretch. I shed A LOT and loose a lot of hair while stretching and, my stylist always bases my scalp and knows what she is doing so, I don't think I will overlap if get retouches every 8-10 weeks. When I would stretch for 6 months more or less my hair would be full of split ends so, the hair wasn't in healthy condition.

Stretching only works for me if I co-wash daily and avoid dry combing. Actually, one of my worst hair periods was when I was stretching for 5 months. It wasn't until I relaxed that I got back on track again. Funny how that works.

This would be mmmeee! But since I'm wigging it I'm going for 12 weeks instead of 10 lol! I lost so much hair on my last stretch when I was wearing my own hair. I vowed never to do it again.

I'm wigging as well. I brought my lace front initially because I was too lazy to do anything with my hair and still wanted to look fabulous. Now, I love it! it is my number one accessory lol plus, it's helping my hair.

Back