Ladies wearing protective styles...

Well what do you mean exactly by long haul. I wear my hair in a baggie everyday for 3 weeks or so now. I clarify on a semi regular basis, approximately every 6 weeks or so. I don't do hot oil treatments, but I do deep condition 1x per week. I do a very light protein every week and a strong protein every 4-6 weeks. I moisturize 2x daily.

i'm wearing buns now but i'm looking into something different for the new year.

right now i hot oil and drc on the 1st of the month. i wash every three days, every other wash is a poo wash. i always deep condition (i leave whatever conditioner in for at least an hour under a plastic cap and towel). i follow up with a leave in conditioner. lately i have just been using cd healthy hair butter or elasta qp mango butter for moisture and air drying.

Don't clarify too often or it will dry out your hair. I wear my hair in a bun pretty much everyday and the most important thing for me is keeping my hair moisturized. Babygurl NC (my best friend) introduced me to Carol's Daughter - Hair Milk. I use it as a daily moisturizer and my ends have never felt better.

Well I CO Wash my hair atleast once a week, I plan on CO Washing more often next year since my hair loves it. I deep condition atleast 1-2 times a month, Clarify once a month, Moisturize my hair including ends every other day, baggie atleast 3 times a week, and wear various protective styles like buns, phony ponies, braid outs and as of late I've been wearing french rolls w/ the aid of a scunci banana clip, I think I may try flexi sets next year. Gotta change it up, else I'll get bored and frustrated! :lol:

RabiaElaine said:
Well what do you mean exactly by long haul. I wear my hair in a baggie everyday for 3 weeks or so now. I clarify on a semi regular basis, approximately every 6 weeks or so. I don't do hot oil treatments, but I do deep condition 1x per week. I do a very light protein every week and a strong protein every 4-6 weeks. I moisturize 2x daily.

Thanks ladies for your responses. What I meant by the "long haul" is wearing your hair in one set style for a long time. I'm about to get my hair done in two-strand twists with extensions and I see myself wearing them for over a month. I am just curious to know what other ladies do to prepare their hair and scalp to be in this type of confined style for awhile. Thanks again!

tastesosweet said:
Thanks ladies for your responses. What I meant by the "long haul" is wearing your hair in one set style for a long time. I'm about to get my hair done in two-strand twists with extensions and I see myself wearing them for over a month. I am just curious to know what other ladies do to prepare their hair and scalp to be in this type of confined style for awhile. Thanks again!

Oh ok...when I wear braids I wash and deep condition my hair, blow dry it on a low setting with a leave in like NTM or Salerm or both. Then apply my WGO hair oil on the scalp and hair (play close attention to your ends). Then I'm ready to braid.

no real preparation went into my protective styles...i just wash and condition, add a leave-in, then massage a creme conditioner into my hair..thats all and thent hrow it up and make sure the ends are as tucked under as they can be..

Im more than prepared for the rest of the cold season so far as keeping my hair in the bun. its so moisturized and its doing really well! I only take it out on the rare occasion i need to impress..lol but im starting to think about doing stra sets..like one week of buns and then a straw set every other week between that...i want to keep the moisture up but because im going to be in a job where appearances certainly do matter, i'll be sure to alternate the two so i dont look played out..lol or maybe i might wear my hair in a bun 4 days out of the 7 day week just to make sure the hair stays healthy...

hmmm decisions decisions!!

Question-when wearing a bun as a protective style is it okay to take your hair down nightly to comb through or is it better to leave the bun as is until I CO wash again ( about every three days)? Also, when you use the baggie method at night how do you keep your hair moisturized throughout the day in the bun. I use Mizani Rose or EVOO with a dab of conditioner and still by the end of the day my hair looks so dry-not to mention how fragile my ends feel.

RabiaElaine said:
Oh ok...when I wear braids I wash and deep condition my hair, blow dry it on a low setting with a leave in like NTM or Salerm or both. Then apply my WGO hair oil on the scalp and hair (play close attention to your ends). Then I'm ready to braid.

The oiling of my ends is what I probably would've ignored, but need to pay attention to. Thanks!

Back