Ladies That Know How To Cornrow Your Own Hair-How Did You Learn?

My aunt used to braid my hair in these really fly styles, then she up and moved to PA and I was stuck w/o a hairstylist:wallbash::wallbash:

So, I watched a few family members cornrow, and then I practiced on my own head. My first few tries were horrendous, but I got the hang of it after a while.:yep:

Watching my mother cornrow my hair or my sister's or cousin's hair. Or even cornrowing her's to put a weave in is how I learned and I did a lot of practicing on my dolls. When I got to hs cornrowing the front section of your hair was really popular so I cornrowed my hair often hs and did others too.
My other personality, is that you? :lachen:

We practically walked the same shoes. Only in HS, cornrowing wasn't allowed in my school. So I practiced on my baby sis and my dolls when I was home.

I learnt in my own head in about 2001. No-one would let me in their hair because it was so bad and I just kept practising until I got better. It does help if you have no shame like me! :grin:

Nowadays my family are always asking me to plait/twist their hair and the ironic thing is I can't get the grip right to do anyone elses hair as good as my own. If they had only let me practise... :lachen:

I learned when I was young. My mom taught me how to braid but not cornrow. I am a visual learner and after watching some people do cornrows on other people's hair - I understood the mechanics very quickly. And just started practicing on my own head. I used to be better at doing my own head than doing others heads. But now I'm equally skilled at both.

Thick hair is easier than fine hair (by far)

I made two you tube cornrow videos and I have them posted in my videos section on my fotki but they do not have sound.

I will be posting more soon. I'm still mastering the lighting and positioning
And I now have access to a digital camera that will record the sound.

I am very good at teaching the cornrows and I love the skill so much that I want everyone to be able to do it.

I will be happy to assist any of you and I hope that you will PM me with questions and also tell me how I can make the videos better next time.

Those are my first two ever and I know my hands and my hair are getting in the way.

I have also heard that the braids by breslin is very good but, I have never watched it.

Last edited:
Really good thread MzAvalon! :yep:

I've often wondered how others learned how to corn row also.....

I can braid 'under' like in an french braid, but I haven't learned how to actually braid 'outside' or cornrow.

That's a good idea about getting a mannequin to practice on. I think I'll do that! As well as practice on myself....

~~
Twisties,
I used to get my hair braided by my neighbor on the front porch a looongg time ago also! We had the beads and foil on the ends tho..:spinning:.. Eventually we stepped it up to those damaging tiny color rubberbands.

And when I was a Brownie Girl Scout and we went camping---I remember everyone in our all black troop having our hair braided. That way we, or our parents, didn't have to worry about our hair for a week. That was like 1979.... Those were the days. :)

Mook,
I'm glad that you showed up! I just LOVE your cornrowed hair! :yep: I viewed your youtube video, where you braided the nape....and you made it look so easy!
Please keep the tutorials coming. I really want to learn how to braid/cornrow.

At some point I plan to make a video that shows the difference between making a cornrow and making a french braid.

I think I learned to french braid before I learned how to cornrow.

It's funny because when you finally understand the difference in the mechanics, you'll have a big "Ohhhhhhh" :yep: moment. and then after that, everything will be clear for you.

I learned when I was young. My mom taught me how to braid but not cornrow. I am a visual learner and after watching some people do cornrows on other people's hair - I understood the mechanics very quickly. And just started practicing on my own head. I used to be better at doing my own head than doing others heads. But now I'm equally skilled at both.

Thick hair is easier than fine hair (by far)

I made two you tube cornrow videos and I have them posted in my videos section on my fotki but they do not have sound.

I will be posting more soon. I'm still mastering the lighting and positioning
And I now have access to a digital camera that will record the sound.

I am very good at teaching the cornrows and I love the skill so much that I want everyone to be able to do it.

I will be happy to assist any of you and I hope that you will PM me with questions and also tell me how I can make the videos better next time.

Those are my first two ever and I know my hands and my hair are getting in the way.

I have also heard that the braids by breslin is very good but, I have never watched it.

Thank you so much for posting in this thread! :kiss: I have been drooling over your hair in your siggy for a while now. I'm going to check out your Youtube videos and will probably be PM'ing you with questions eventually. I really want to learn this.:yep:

Back