Ladies That Know How To Cornrow Your Own Hair-How Did You Learn?

MizAvalon

This is something that I really want to learn how to do. I like wearing cornrows in the summer just to give my hair a little break but since I'm a DIY'er now I refuse to go back to my old stylist. Especially for something like this which seems to be fairly easy.

Please let me know how you learned how to do this. I'm also going to check Youtube to see if I can find any tutorials. If there are any dvd's or websites out there that demonstrate this, I would like to hear about those too. Oh, and I only use my own hair, no extensions.

Thank you! :)

Hi Miz,

I basically learned out of survival. My mom couldn't braid to save both our lives, so growing up, I would practice on my dolls. After a while, I just started on my own head. I think braiding is something that you have to just practice at. I took me a long time to figure out how to do a french braid(I still have a problem with making it straight down the middle of my head).

The only thing I can really say, is to practice. It may take awhile, but you'll get it eventually....Good luck

HTH

Hi Miz,

I basically learned out of survival. My mom couldn't braid to save both our lives, so growing up, I would practice on my dolls. After a while, I just started on my own head. I think braiding is something that you have to just practice at. I took me a long time to figure out how to do a french braid(I still have a problem with making it straight down the middle of my head).

The only thing I can really say, is to practice. It may take awhile, but you'll get it eventually....Good luck

HTH

Thanks, Jemscizir! :) I think I'm going to get a cheap wig or some kind of doll's head and practice on that.

I WILL learn how to do this!:yep:

When I was around 10 or 11 and living in Brooklyn, I would watch the girls in the park braiding (cornrowing) each others' hair. I then went and braided my dolls' hair (the one's the I hadn't given haircuts to yet:perplexed). I then graduated to doing my mom's friends' kid's hair. The hardest was doing my own hair which took a lot of time and practice (esp. getting those parts straight). Once you get the basic concept and master the parting, it's pretty easy after that. Don't give up...just practice alot.

I taught myself, around 8 years old, my mom showed me how to properly part my hair by myself to get straight parts. practice a lot on my dolls. maybe you should get one of the barbie heads, I plan on buying one because I want to learn how to braid extensions. I saw one at Walgreens on Sunday for $10, so I'm going back for it

My older sister taught me when I was about 10. She use to braid me and my sisters heads. I would watch her and learned. I got better by practicing on my own head.

I learned by watching my aunt do others people hair. I can't remember what age i was but i was very young.

I learned out of survival, my mom was tired of doing it every week so I practiced until I got it right. I think I was 14 when I learned.

Watching my mother cornrow my hair or my sister's or cousin's hair. Or even cornrowing her's to put a weave in is how I learned and I did a lot of practicing on my dolls. When I got to hs cornrowing the front section of your hair was really popular so I cornrowed my hair often hs and did others too.

I've been cornrowing since age 4....also the same age I started to learn to sew....all from my grandmother. I actually learned by using the silk from a corn's ear that was placed inside a coca-cola bottle. It was a Coca-Cola Doll. You can tell that was a long time ago....Coke was in glass bottles...soda cans had not been invented.

It simply a method of starting with a small amount of hair and "picking up" additional hair as you go along with your "crisscrossing." I think that is how my grandmother explained it.

Gosh! You got me going down memory lane!

Watching my mother and friends in my early teens I used to do my mom Box braids passed her butt. A little practice on a mannequin helped also!!

I just got good at a few months ago.
I just kept practicing at night when I would braid my hair before going to bed.
when I am doing straight back braids I start at the center of my head, part it really good, pin up all the hair I am not braiding.

I postion my fingers at the root, get 3 strands of hair and start braiding.

Sometimes I don't get them as tight as i would like. well I will braid my whole head then go back and redo the ones that are not as tight. I have gotten better about getting it right the first time.

just keep practicing. you will get great at it
This is something that I really want to learn how to do. I like wearing cornrows in the summer just to give my hair a little break but since I'm a DIY'er now I refuse to go back to my old stylist. Especially for something like this which seems to be fairly easy.

Please let me know how you learned how to do this. I'm also going to check Youtube to see if I can find any tutorials. If there are any dvd's or websites out there that demonstrate this, I would like to hear about those too. Oh, and I only use my own hair, no extensions.

Thank you! :)

i taught myself also
i used to watch my mom and cousins
i couldn't do it their way (underhanded)
so i practiced on my dolls then myself (overhanded)
in high school and college i always grew it out over the summer
so more practice
nowadays i do others' sometimes
but i still do mine the best
practice practice practice and u will get it!! :yep:

I taught myself, around 8 years old, my mom showed me how to properly part my hair by myself to get straight parts. practice a lot on my dolls. maybe you should get one of the barbie heads, I plan on buying one because I want to learn how to braid extensions. I saw one at Walgreens on Sunday for $10, so I'm going back for it

Is it one of those big Barbie's that has the whole head and shoulders? That would probably be great for me to practice on.

Thanks for starting this thread. My mom can cornrow but she didn't teach me.:sad: I really want to learn because I would save ALOT of money when it comes to getting a sew-in. Plus, I'm tired of having other people's hands in my head. I'll probably go to Walmart and get a Barbie head.

My mom taught me when I was a little girl and she let me practice on her hair and my little sister's hair. Back then most girls knew how to cornrow and for some reason we called it frenchbraiding.

I cannot cornrow to save my life. :ohwell: I wish I could. I've looked at tutorials but just can't pick it up. I could probably cornrow overhanded but it doesn't look like a real braid (doing it underhanded).

My older sister taught me how to do it first and then I practiced on a my dolls....

Back in the day, aging myself here, but it was the 70's, you just learned...my sister would conrow all the guys and (girls too actually) on the front porch. Anybody remember getting braids outside on the front porch?:grin:

My older sister taught me how to do it first and then I practiced on a my dolls....

Back in the day, aging myself here, but it was the 70's, you just learned...my sister would conrow all the guys and (girls too actually) on the front porch. Anybody remember getting braids outside on the front porch?:grin:

Yep,:yep: Especially in the summertime.

I cannot cornrow to save my life. :ohwell: I wish I could. I've looked at tutorials but just can't pick it up. I could probably cornrow overhanded but it doesn't look like a real braid (doing it underhanded).

You know I have a long way to go because I don't even know what the terminology is! :lol:

Last edited:

It was the 80's for me but I remember this too.:yep: The braids were accompanied by beads and aluminum foil.:nono:

great thread! I know how to cornrow other people's hair, but when it comes to my own, i have no idea. i should start learning as well :yep:

It was the 80's for me but I remember this too.:yep: The braids were accompanied by beads and aluminum foil.:nono:

Yes thinking back, some people did use foil!!:perplexed. We weren't allowed to do that though-ma dukes wasn't have the foil look on her girls:nono:. I eventually learned to use black rubberbands to hold the beads in place - that's what I do for my neice. She loves the beads on her hair and many of the little girls in her class wear them also and use the breakage free rubberbands now. Girl, I am glad folks stopped with that foil:grin:!

Back