LADIES THAT HENNA, CHECK OUT MY RECIPE

mommatide

AFTER STALKING MANY HENNA HEAD'S AND THREAD'S, I HAVE FINALLY COME UP WITH A RECIPE THAT WORKED GREAT, WITHOUT LEAVING MY HAIR FEELING LIKE STRAW.

100gr HENNA (I USED DULHAN THIS TIME)
50gr shikakai
3/4 can warmed coconut milk
2 tbsp amla oil
2 tbsp evoo
2 tbsp honey

THIS WAS SO MUCH EASIER TO APPLY. THE DULHAN WAS MUCH EASIER TO MIX THAN THE JAMILA. I MIXED IT ALL TOGETHER AND ALLOWED IT TO SIT FOR 1 HOUR BEFORE APPLYING IT. THE RINSE WAS JUST AS EASY. I D/C WITH A MIX OF HUMECTO, VATIKA OIL AND A LITTLE CHOLESTEROL. THEN I ROLLERSET, SILK WRAPPED WITH A V-OIL AND KERECARE HEADRESS. MY HAIR CAME OUT SO GREAT THAT NOW I CAN TRULY SAY, HENNA IS HERE TO STAY:D

SPECIAL SHOUT OUT TO KINIKAKES, HENNA-SOOQ, SARECA, VW......HENNA-ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oooh, that mix sounds teriff!!!! I bet your hair was so shiny and strong!!!!

Hmmm, ive never heard of shikakai...??? Please share more info about this!!!!! :D

THIS WAS MY 3RD TIME USING SHIKAKAI. THE 1ST TWO TIME'S I USED IT ALONE JUST MIXED WITH WATER. APPLIED TO DRY HAIR, LEAVE ON FOR 15 MIN. AND RINSE. THE RESULTS WERE SHINY, STRONG AND SOFT HAIR. HENNA SOOQ SAID IT WAS FINE TO MIX WITH HENNA, JUST LIKE AMLA POWDER, SO I DECIDED TO TRY IT FOR ADDED CONDITIONING.

AFTER MY FIRST SHOT AT HENNA, I KNEW I NEEDED TO FIND A WAY TO ADD MOISTURE TO THE MIX. ADDING CONDITIONER WAS OK, BUT THE COCONUT MILK WAS FAR BETTER. HTH

mommatide said:
THIS WAS MY 3RD TIME USING SHIKAKAI. THE 1ST TWO TIME'S I USED IT ALONE JUST MIXED WITH WATER. APPLIED TO DRY HAIR, LEAVE ON FOR 15 MIN. AND RINSE. THE RESULTS WERE SHINY, STRONG AND SOFT HAIR. HENNA SOOQ SAID IT WAS FINE TO MIX WITH HENNA, JUST LIKE AMLA POWDER, SO I DECIDED TO TRY IT FOR ADDED CONDITIONING.

AFTER MY FIRST SHOT AT HENNA, I KNEW I NEEDED TO FIND A WAY TO ADD MOISTURE TO THE MIX. ADDING CONDITIONER WAS OK, BUT THE COCONUT MILK WAS FAR BETTER. HTH

Glad to hear you found a recipe that works for you. I might need to throw some coconut milk in the mix huh? So you replaced the condish with coconut milk?

YEA, I REPLACED THE CONDISH WITH COCONUT MILK BECAUSE OF THE HIGH FAT CONTENT, PLUS IT'S CREAMY AND RICH. I ALWAY'S KNEW HOW GOOD COCONUT OIL WAS FOR THE HAIR. I THOUGHT OF USING YOGURT BUT I DID NOT WANT ANY XTRA PROTEIN IN THE MIX. I KNEW THE MILK WOULD SOFTEN MY HAIR.

hi this is how I do mine too, I changed the conditioner for coconut milk and I never looked back. But instead of Shikakai I use Amla powder.

TemiLnd said:
hi this is how I do mine too, I changed the conditioner for coconut milk and I never looked back. But instead of Shikakai I use Amla powder.

I HAVE NOT USED AMLA POWDER YET. WHAT EXACTLY WILL IT DO FOR MY HAIR? MAYBE I'LL ADD A DOSE NEXT TIME.

YEAH, FOR ADDED MOISTURE, COCO MILK IS THE WAY TO GO.

OK. ladies forgive my lack of knowledge:perplexed but what is the benefits of doing Henna? and if I do it what are the things I must add in order to be good for my relaxed hair, other thing how many colors can I get from Henna? ahhh! and a safe place to buy it.

Thanks in advanced

la flaca said:
bump...I wanna know:ohwell:

SORRY, JUST GOT HOME FROM WORK.
paperclip.gif
Poll: Do ya'll henna? CHECK OUT THIS THREAD, BASICALLY I USE HENNA TO THICKEN/CONDISH MY FINE HAIR. SOME USE IT TO AT COLOR. THIS THREAD IS WHERE YOU CAN FIND LOT'S OF INFO. I JUST STARTED USING HENNA ABOUT 3 WEEK'S AGO, SI I'M NOT AN EXPERT YET.

YOUR HAIR IS SO GORGEOUS:p , I WOULD NOT TOUCH IT.....HTH

I recently did my 5th henna application and this was the FIRST time my hair didn't feel like straw afterwards! I love the color I get so I was willing to deal with the heavy duty moisturizing that usually ensues after a henna application. However, when I rinsed my hair it was felt strong and was super shiny and the slippiest. Best of all it has not felt dry at all since then, a MAJOR accomplishment in my book!!
I used:
1 200g pkg. Reshma henna
1 100g pkg. Amla powder
1oz. Apple Cider Vinegar
tea blend (enough to make mix smooth)

My tea blend was Jasmine tea leaves mixed with dried rosemary leaved steeped in boiling hot water and strained after water cooled (about an hour.) Anyhow, I mixed all of this together and let it sit overnight and applied the next day. I have APL hair and I still have some left over so I'm planning to just use it as a henna lite with a deep conditioner in between applications.

I'm going to try Henna & Indigo for the first time tomorrow. I'm going to use this mix but use Amla powder instead of shikakai since I heard Amla darkens the hair. Anyway, do I need to put some type of conditioner after since I am using the coconut milk? Also, how much is 50 gr? My Amla powder is in a screw top little container that is 75 gr. Also, how long should I leave the Henna in my hair? Should I sit under a dryer? Sorry so many questions. I hope I don't get this stuff all over my bathroom tomorrow.

I'm a little scared to try this. Did anyone else feel this way?

mommatide said:
AFTER STALKING MANY HENNA HEAD'S AND THREAD'S, I HAVE FINALLY COME UP WITH A RECIPE THAT WORKED GREAT, WITHOUT LEAVING MY HAIR FEELING LIKE STRAW.

100gr HENNA (I USED DULHAN THIS TIME)
50gr shikakai
3/4 can warmed coconut milk
2 tbsp amla oil
2 tbsp evoo
2 tbsp honey

THIS WAS SO MUCH EASIER TO APPLY. THE DULHAN WAS MUCH EASIER TO MIX THAN THE JAMILA. I MIXED IT ALL TOGETHER AND ALLOWED IT TO SIT FOR 1 HOUR BEFORE APPLYING IT. THE RINSE WAS JUST AS EASY. I D/C WITH A MIX OF HUMECTO, VATIKA OIL AND A LITTLE CHOLESTEROL. THEN I ROLLERSET, SILK WRAPPED WITH A V-OIL AND KERECARE HEADRESS. MY HAIR CAME OUT SO GREAT THAT NOW I CAN TRULY SAY, HENNA IS HERE TO STAY:D

SPECIAL SHOUT OUT TO KINIKAKES, HENNA-SOOQ, SARECA, VW......HENNA-ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
SplashAtl said:
I'm going to try Henna & Indigo for the first time tomorrow. I'm going to use this mix but use Amla powder instead of shikakai since I heard Amla darkens the hair. Anyway, do I need to put some type of conditioner after since I am using the coconut milk? Also, how much is 50 gr? My Amla powder is in a screw top little container that is 75 gr. Also, how long should I leave the Henna in my hair? Should I sit under a dryer? Sorry so many questions. I hope I don't get this stuff all over my bathroom tomorrow.

I'm a little scared to try this. Did anyone else feel this way?

Also, am I suppose to put the henna on dry hair or should I wash it first?

Hey Mommatide

I read that you put it in only after an hour....im assuming that you didnt want the color to release...how long did you leave it in and did the color release? The first time I henna'd I put it in right away on my brown hair and left it in for about 4-6 hours and got major color release which i actually ended up liking but I dont want to become any redder.

Hi Ladies,

I am finalizing my regime and I wanted to know if I pre poo the night before, can I then do my henna treatment before I wash my hair or can I apply henna to just washed wet hair.

I guess whta I am asking is: Do you use Henna on wet or dry hair, or does it not matter.

Many Thanks

jade998 said:
Hi Ladies,

I am finalizing my regime and I wanted to know if I pre poo the night before, can I then do my henna treatment before I wash my hair or can I apply henna to just washed wet hair.

I guess whta I am asking is: Do you use Henna on wet or dry hair, or does it not matter.

Many Thanks

I've done both, but it seems easier to apply to my hair when it is damp. I usually wash with clarifying shampoo, and partially dry my hair with a microfiber towel before applying my henna. If I'm feeling lazy, or tired I just apply the henna to my dry hair that hasn't been freshly shampooed. I seem to have the same color deposit and conditioning either way.

Hey Mommatide

I read that you put it in only after an hour....im assuming that you didnt want the color to release...how long did you leave it in and did the color release? The first time I henna'd I put it in right away on my brown hair and left it in for about 4-6 hours and got major color release which i actually ended up liking but I dont want to become any redder.

wondering the same thing.... If you apply the henna immediately on to black hair, how long does it have to sit before you get a reddish tint?

Back