LADIES something great is happening with my hair...

Candy_C

Well you may know about the shikakhai and amla powder i mix in a tub with hot water...which i pour over my head after oil cleansing (or shampooing)..

ladiesss

my hair has grownnnnnn in a space of two/three weeks by around an inch.

YOU KNOW I'M NOT A FOLLOWER OF GROWTH AIDS...but i aint gonna lie if i see evidence...i think theres something i nthese powders encouraging growth! or it could be oil cleasing and the scritching??? ("itchin" the scalp for a few minutes with oil)

ALL I KNOW is...every 3 says, i rub shikahai oil into my dirty scalp and put amla on the ends....i rinse out with hot water and then pour 2 parts amla and 1 part shikakhai mixed in water over my head...after rinsing i conditioner wash and airdry...

Would anybody try this themselves for 2 weeks and let me know if this is happening to you too? i'm taking photos tomorrow but wow is all i can say

my hair is nearly touching my booty when wet, and it definately wasnt a few weeks back

i juss fling on a bit of avococo afterwards to make sure my ends are moisturized

I havent shampooed in nearly a month, my hair is constantly moisturized and the comb fly through my NG which by now, nearly 8 weeks post, my NG would be wirey, dry and tough.

Just thought i'd let you know, cos something good is happeninnnggg xxxx

Congrats, Candy C!

Always good to know about another something easy to do that results in growth and hair health; your hair looks fabulous! :)

How much shikakai and alma powder to how much water? Im willing to try it. I dont have alma powder though.

I have one question though...if I cut out poo can I still get good rollersets or will my hair be weighed down from products? I battle dryness so maybe I should stop shampooing as much. I always feel like I need to shampoo in order to get rid of product and clean my hair.

That's really great to hear, Candy! I made my herbal poo (amla & shikakai) about a week ago (I also added powdered sage and thyme)! I love it! My hair is always CLEAN and SHINEY! I've only used it 3x since I made it, since I've been CW. I'll have to be more consistent and track mt results too!:yep: I'll be making another batch soon, but will add the reetha powder as well. Most Indian poo recipes call for all three. But I've gotten great results with just the two. :grin: My research of these products says that using them to wash the hair yields thick, black, longer hair in as little as 1 month! :blush::look:

Ahhhh Candy Congrats!!! Ur hair is gorge!!!! :grin: Ur my hair inspiration!! :drunk:

Im gonna give this a shot as well....i only have shikakkai oil though...not the powder....can i substitute the shikakkai power for baking soda?? Hmmm...i dunno....:ohwell: But yup...im gonna def. try this out!

I am going to get these ASAP.

Where do you get your oils and powders from?

What brand is it?

I hope to experience the same joy...

Hesh and Ultam(sp) are the most commonly found brands at Indian stores. You DO need the powders for the herbal hair wash.

You can also make a home-made herbal shampoo by using powders of reetha, amla and shikakai. Soak 125 gms each of reetha, shikakai and amla in 1 litre of water. Keep it aside for about 24 hours. Boil for 30-45 minutes and allow the mixture to cool. Use it to shampoo the hair. It is a very good way to wash the hair without harming it.

You DO NOT 'wash' your hair with this poo. You simply saturate your hair and let 'sit' for 5-45 minutes and then rinse. YOUR HAIR WILL BE CLEAN!:yep:

Hi Candy!

Are you taking pre-natal vitamins yet? Do you think that or your pregnancy hormones could be having an effect on your hair growth right now?

Candy both those powders i believe help grow hair.

I'm interseted in doing this.
I ordered a few powders and oils from amazon. There already here i just keep missing the fedex guy.

So can you give more breakdown on how much powder and water your using?

I am going to get these ASAP.

Where do you get your oils and powders from?

What brand is it?

I hope to experience the same joy...

You live in PG County, you can march right over to University Blvd/Langley Park and go to Jasmine Bazaar, which is the Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi market that I get all my Ayurvedic products from. EVERYTHING IS CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP, too!

Ladies, you can also buy...for REAL cheap...the Alma/Shikaiki/Reetha shampoo and conditioner at the markets as well.

For you, sweetie, the Jasmine Bazaar is:

1335A University Blvd.
Takoma Park, MD 20902
http://www.mdindia.us/grocery.html

As for Mr. Muhammad. He's such a sweetie and will take care of you! ;)

Candy both those powders i believe help grow hair.

I'm interseted in doing this.
I ordered a few powders and oils from amazon. There already here i just keep missing the fedex guy.

So can you give more breakdown on how much powder and water your using?

You're in Maryland, too!
Check out this site and you should be able to find an Indian market near you so that you won't have to order online and pay for shipping/handling:

First of all congradulations, Candy_C!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use shikakai powder, neem powder, tulsi powder, aritha powder, multani mitti powder on my hair and face.

I also use them in my henna mix as well.

I make the herbal shampoo by mixing the powder in my coffee pot strainer and pouring in six cups of water. Then i put it in the bottle and put it in the fridge and use it the next day.

I added a teaspoon of neem powder to my castor oil tonite. We'll see if that makes a difference too.

You live in PG County, you can march right over to University Blvd/Langley Park and go to Jasmine Bazaar, which is the Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi market that I get all my Ayurvedic products from. EVERYTHING IS CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP, too!

Ladies, you can also buy...for REAL cheap...the Alma/Shikaiki/Reetha shampoo and conditioner at the markets as well.

For you, sweetie, the Jasmine Bazaar is:

1335A University Blvd.
Takoma Park, MD 20902

As for Mr. Muhammad. He's such a sweetie and will take care of you! ;)

Serenity, do they carry indigo or Zarqa powder there?

Serenity, do they carry indigo or Zarqa powder there?

No, I tried that. But they carry all kinds of black henna there. I've been too skurred to try it. I may ask Mr. Muhammad and see what he thinks. :sekret:

ETA: I'll ask about the Zarqa powder. Tell us a bit more about this.

I believe it! I made my own oil again last week and I'd been using it every other day. A few days ago my head got tender in the crown (like it does during a growth spurt). I haven't seen anything yet tho.

Thanks for the tip. :rosebud: I'll keep an eye out and report back. :yep:

Last edited:
Sareca, tell us about your oil. And by the way, my scalp is tender and sore as well at the crown where I get the most growth. I didn't know that that's what was going on...

Sareca, tell us about your oil. And by the way, my scalp is tender and sore as well at the crown where I get the most growth. I didn't know that that's what was going on...

I just added a link to my original post. I knew somebody was gonna ask. :)Here it is again... http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=3136147

Momma Dee, got on me about potentially ruining a perfectly good slow cooker :lachen:and mscoco had a cool alternative. Make sure you read the whole tread.

just bought a bar of shikakai soap and a discovery-sized bottle of shikakai powder from www.hairveda.net . Did a little research online and Indian women rave about this. Can't wait to see how I like it!

Wait! I keep reading the thread over and over and over.
I don't get it. Can someone give me the "Hooked On Phonics" version?:ohwell:

Candy started using shikaikai oil on her scalp and alma on her hair and noticed 1" of growth in 2-3 weeks. She's looking for some volunteers to test her theory. That's my version anyway... :)

I need to learn how to spell "shikaki" correctly:

Shikaiki
Shikaki
Shikakhai
Shikakai

Anyone know for sure?

:Serenity heading to her closest to look it up::sekret:

Candy started using shikaikai oil on her scalp and alma on her hair and noticed 1" of growth in 2-3 weeks. She's looking for some volunteers to test her theory. That's my version anyway... :)

I think I'll volunteer as well.

BTW, your PM box is full, so here's what I sent:

Will do. You keep it "warm" overnight, right? Then, you strain it with coffee filters? I wonder if I can use my tea strainers for that. :think:

I need to learn how to spell "shikaki" correctly:

Shikaiki
Shikaki
Shikakhai
Shikakai <--that's it

Anyone know for sure?

:Serenity heading to her closest to look it up::sekret:

I'm all over the map with my spelling of it, but I think that's the right one.

Hi Candy!

Are you taking pre-natal vitamins yet? Do you think that or your pregnancy hormones could be having an effect on your hair growth right now?

My hair grew like a weed when I started my pre-natal vitamins. Pregenancy and pre-nals are a wonderful thing for hair growth!:yep:

Sareca, I remember you posting about the oil you made and DH thought you were cooking breakfast! So it came out great! Congrats. :happydance: *about to leave you a message in make-up forum in just a minute.*

Back