Ladies-Put Your Chemist Lab Coats On!

MissYocairis

Hi! Gotta chemistry question....

Is the pre-pooing process 'undone' if you clarify and/or chelate directly afterwards?

Or does the conditioning benefits of the pre-poo process remain to some degree?

You no what I'm doing a chelate this evening.
I wonder the same thing if i could still pre poo?
Lord knows I need to pre poo (3 weeks of no hair washing will do it)
I'd like to no this also

I think they cancel each other out. I don't prepoo on the days I clarify for this reason. The idea of clarifying is to rinse away all of the buildup so it doesn't make sense to add more buildup and have to work harder to get the hair clean.

JMO

Pre-poo is perfect for use before clarify/shampoo...you are giving exra moisture to you hair so that when you do use poo your moisture level drops back down to a normal level instead of becomming dry

Forgive me for asking a novice question, but what's a prepoo? I try to figure out all the technical words on the board but it isn't always so easy. Thanks.

ajoyfuljoy said:
Forgive me for asking a novice question, but what's a prepoo? I try to figure out all the technical words on the board but it isn't always so easy. Thanks.

It's a pre-shampoo conditioning treatment. The purpose is to counteract the drying effects of shampoos. You can prepoo with conditioner, oils, eggs, or just about anything that you feel adds moisture to your hair. You apply the prepoo to your dry hair and let it sit, sometimes overnight.

I agree with DI; I think clarifying wipes out the effect of prepooing, since you clarify to remove product buildup. If you find that your clarifying shampoo dries out your hair (and that doesn't have to be the case!), follow it up with a very moisturizing deep conditioner.

I guess in theory it is counterproductive to prepoo on clarifying days...It makes sense, however I still do and my hair has no problems. I am someone who does use cones. Actually my prepoo is my DC. I do it on dry hair with heat so that it can better penetrate. Therefore, I don't believe that it is ineffective and a waste of time because the poo is washing away the buildup on the surface and the DC has penetrated beneath the surface. I am not so totally well-versed on the subject, but I know as a novice scientist that science is based upon theories, which are well-developed explanations that have not been misproven. This is different than a truth. On LHCF, we have theories, and though they are universal, they are not absolute. Every one's hair is different. As I said before, I can totally see why someone would think that it would be true, in fact it should be for most people, however for me, it's not. It's all relative.
I hope I make sense. :look:

Divine Inspiration said:
I think they cancel each other out. I don't prepoo on the days I clarify for this reason. The idea of clarifying is to rinse away all of the buildup so it doesn't make sense to add more buildup and have to work harder to get the hair clean.

JMO

Ditto. Clarifying ain't as bad as some people think it is, and I notice a lot of people are scared of thee clarifying poo. Yeah it *can* be drying, but if you follow up with a moisturizing shampoo (optional) and DC like hell, it can actually work to your advantage.

If you are gonna clarify, clarify. Straight no chaser. You want to receive the optimum benefits from it.

WOW, great advice ladies! I guess I have a decision to make.

DI, funny you should post here because the whole reason I decided to chelate tonight was YOUR coconut milk thread!

I got so hyped reading that thread and decided to start fresh so I could soak up all the benefits of that coconut milk!

CoCoEspresso said:
I guess in theory it is counterproductive to prepoo on clarifying days...It makes sense, however I still do and my hair has no problems. I am someone who does use cones. Actually my prepoo is my DC. I do it on dry hair with heat so that it can better penetrate. Therefore, I don't believe that it is ineffective and a waste of time because the poo is washing away the buildup on the surface and the DC has penetrated beneath the surface. I am not so totally well-versed on the subject, but I know as a novice scientist that science is based upon theories, which are well-developed explanations that have not been misproven. This is different than a truth. On LHCF, we have theories, and though they are universal, they are not absolute. Every one's hair is different. As I said before, I can totally see why someone would think that it would be true, in fact it should be for most people, however for me, it's not. It's all relative.
I hope I make sense. :look:

Cool response.

preciousjewel76 said:
I agree with DI; I think clarifying wipes out the effect of prepooing, since you clarify to remove product buildup. If you find that your clarifying shampoo dries out your hair (and that doesn't have to be the case!), follow it up with a very moisturizing deep conditioner.

Hey PJ! You said that with conviction. What brand clarifying poo do you use? I'm using Nexxus AloeRid tonight.

CantBeCopied said:
Hey PJ! You said that with conviction. What brand clarifying poo do you use? I'm using Nexxus AloeRid tonight.

Right now, I'm using up some Silk Elements Neutralizing Shampoo (the label says it can be used to remove product buildup). I plan to try the V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze clarifying shampoo after I use this up; it's gotten rave reviews from other members. Plus it smells good and it's cheap!:D

LocksOfLuV said:
Ditto. Clarifying ain't as bad as some people think it is, and I notice a lot of people are scared of thee clarifying poo. Yeah it *can* be drying, but if you follow up with a moisturizing shampoo (optional) and DC like hell, it can actually work to your advantage.

If you are gonna clarify, clarify. Straight no chaser. You want to receive the optimum benefits from it.

I love how we are so GANGSTA about our haircare! *LOL* Thanks LL!

I decided to be virtuous because I am washing tomorrow. I will NOT prepoo. I have to do a reconstructor though....maybe that will color my results. I have to decide on that because the results would be inaccurate and any resulting dryness could be attributed to the protein. Hmmm... I guess it would be okay if I skipped it this one time. It's all in the name of science. Okay... I decided to skip prepooing, clarify and DC tomorrow. I will report back with the turnout. It would be good if someone else joined me then the results would have greater validity. I guess it would be best for someone who already DC on dry hair b4 clarifying to compare their results. Any takers?

ETA: I have a question that I have been struggling to make sense of in my head. Why is it necessary to prepoo at all? If a clarifier in theory is slightly more stripping than a regular shampoo and all that is needed to counteract any harsh effects is a DC, then why would one need to prepoo on a day when they are just shampooing?

Last edited:
CantBeCopied said:
I love how we are so GANGSTA about our haircare! *LOL* Thanks LL!

U are so welc. And Imma second what Precious said. Try the V05 Kiwi Lime and Squeeze. It is the bomb and it leaves your hair soft. Andit's only 99cents.

I strayed for a while getting too curious and I came back. It IS good.

LocksOfLuV said:

That's the way I use it and it works great for me...

CoCoEspresso said:
I decided to be virtuous because I am washing tomorrow. I will NOT prepoo. I have to do a reconstructor though....maybe that will color my results. I have to decide on that because the results would be inaccurate and any resulting dryness could be attributed to the protein. Hmmm... I guess it would be okay if I skipped it this one time. It's all in the name of science. Okay... I decided to skip prepooing, clarify and DC tomorrow. I will report back with the turnout. It would be good if someone else joined me then the results would have greater validity. I guess it would be best for someone who already DC on dry hair b4 clarifying to compare their results. Any takers?

ETA: I have a question that I have been struggling to make sense of in my head. Why is it necessary to prepoo at all? If a clarifier in theory is slightly more stripping than a regular shampoo and all that is needed to counteract any harsh effects is a DC, then why would one need to prepoo on a day when they are just shampooing?

I might be a taker. But I'm confused about DCing before clarifying. Are you referring to doing a prepoo with an oil/condish mix? I might be willing to try this and then clarify, DC and report back my results.

I don't know the answer to your second question....I always thought prepooing was good before a regular poo just for that extra assurance. Some prepoos are done for protein and others strictly for moisture....same for DC's.

LocksOfLuV said:
U are so welc. And Imma second what Precious said. Try the V05 Kiwi Lime and Squeeze. It is the bomb and it leaves your hair soft. Andit's only 99cents.

I strayed for a while getting too curious and I came back. It IS good.

*adding VO5 Kiwi Lime to my must-have list*

CantBeCopied said:
I might be a taker. But I'm confused about DCing before clarifying. Are you referring to doing a prepoo with an oil/condish mix? I might be willing to try this and then clarify, DC and report back my results.

I don't know the answer to your second question....I always thought prepooing was good before a regular poo just for that extra assurance. Some prepoos are done for protein and others strictly for moisture....same for DC's.

I used to do a prepoo with a cholesterol/light protein conditioner and oils. Then I would wash as usual and follow up with a moisturizing DC. It seemed lengthy and inefficient to do separate processes so I made condtioner mixes that contained all of the products that I would use for each process... Two birds, One stone. It's a timesaver, and my hair feels strong and moisturized. Basically, I have ensured that I maintain the proper protein/moisture balance. I just use DC and prepoo interchangeably because for me, they are the same. I DC prior to shampooing.

I guess I see what you are saying, but if it's for the extra assurance when you are just shampooing and it is counterproductive to use it when you are clarifying and you still can get replicate the results of prepooing-> pooing, then why would need to do it at all?

LocksOfLuV said:

Exactly. If the clarifying poo is so drying that you have to prepoo, then you need a gentler clarifying poo, IMO.

CantBeCopied said:
DI, funny you should post here because the whole reason I decided to chelate tonight was YOUR coconut milk thread!

I got so hyped reading that thread and decided to start fresh so I could soak up all the benefits of that coconut milk!

:lol: Girl, that coconut milk is niiiiice. I bought 8 cans last time I was in the store. :sekret: :lol:

LocksofLuv said:
Try the V05 Kiwi Lime and Squeeze. It is the bomb and it leaves your hair soft. Andit's only 99cents.

YES!!! I love this poo. I ditched Paul Mitchell and Suave for the V05 Kiwi Lime. It gets the job done, and it smells lovely. Plus, it has no parabens. :yay:

CoCoEspresso said:

Prepooing, for me, detangles my hair and softens it before I shampoo. I use oils with a little conditioner so I also get conditioning effects from amla oil. IMO, there shouldn't be any "harsh effects" of a clarifying poo...it should leave hair clean, not stripped. Prepooing is a conditioing and manageability thing. I only clarify once a month so the other 3 weeks in the month, I get the conditioning effects of my prepoo. Make sense?

UPDATE;...Ok so I went ahead and took the prepoo end of the experiment.

I prepooed with egg white, yogurt, honey, castor oil and cheapie condish. Kept it in overnight.

Washed with Aloe Rid.

DC'd with a condish cocktail that included Alter Ego and a lil porosity control among other things.

My hair turned out good but I don't know what to attribute that to. I had decreased shedding and no breakage. It was strong yet moisturized.

I'll just keep overdoing it since it worked so well.

I am not sure if my method has scientific backing. When I need to clarify, I will do so before doing a pre-poo or deep conditioning treatment. The way I look at it, I want to ensure that there's no buildup on my scalp or hair that would hinder the positive effects of my conditioning treatment. So, there my 2 cents worth.

Back