LADIES, I LOVE YOU TO DEATH,BUT I WILL NEVER TAKE YOUR ADVICE ON...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xavier said:
WOW!!!:eek:

"Boys honk bc they think i am Trini Indian or Hispani"

....what is this sentence about?!?! So they can't just be honking because they see and attractive BLACK woman?
Good point, Xavier. I thought the same exact thing. They are honking because they see an attractive Black woman. How do you [bravenewgirl] know they are thinking you are Trini Indian or Hispanic? They are honking at YOU, not an Indian or Hispanic. They are looking at you as you are with your hair the way it is. When you said "Boys honk bc they think i am Trini Indian or Hispani", you made an implication that Indians and Hispanics are more attractive than other women and that men are only attracted to women who look Indian or Hispanic....that's so not true.

Bravenewgirl, when you make posts online, people are going to read what they want and assume things from what they read from your posts. Some people are more analytical (like me) and read more into it than others. Some are more sensitive than others. That's life. You were the one who opened a can of worms by mentioning all these races, so don't go off on Xavier about it. Yes, you wanted to share a bad experience, but you said more things in your inital post... and some people here who read it are noticing everything that you say in your posts and will respond accordingly....and then you can respond to clarify your post if that's not what you meant by it. :cool:

Sheenaspelman said:
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I was thinking of going for a Dominican blowout myself but all that heat sounds like a bad idea.

I don't think its a bad idea bc like i said my family and friends went there and love it. They just don't get blowouts. I don't think every salon is th US is like this one tho... Maybe she was a bit initimidated by the thickness of my hair? I just didn't think it was going to be like that at all...
That CANNOT be healthy on ANYONE's hair...i mean, Smoke??? It depends on the stylist.

bravenewgirl87 said:
Domincan Blowouts again! :mad::mad::mad:My friends/family have been raving about and so have you all... But NEVER again! I don't care if the dominican hairstylist had hands that were blessed by GOD himself, to straighten Kunta Kente's crotch hair! :perplexedNEVER, you hear me?! It was the most painful thing my scalp has ever been through!!! My mom told me to get it done bc my natural hair was too nappy and she wanted it done for church. She said that my regular stylist (who i adore) has my hair too thick... so we set the appointment. The atmosphere was rough and smoke was coming out of my HAIR!:eek::eek::eek: My scalp smells of burnt flesh and i have scabbing?!:eek::eek::eek: I asked my aunt in NYC if my trip was suppose to be like that she said, "nooooo". The woman had the audacity to tell me that I was going to go natural, i had to moisturize and DC my hair! :eek::eek:Well, obviously, if you washed with SHAMPOO and condish, not DC it, and then try to blow-dry it straight with scorching HEAT, of course it would be dry:confused:! She barely put anything on to to moisturize, barely any protectant on the scalp... and they proceeds to bump my ends with a seeringly hot straightening iron??!:confused::perplexed Then, i tried to subtly tell my mom not to get her hair done by these people by telling her I REALLY needed to go home to get my car... and she WASN'T TAKING THE HINT! :confused::perplexed:ohwell:So, i had to call my dad to tell him to call her to tell her to take her butt to Novlette's hair salon. Ladies in the Miami/South Florida Area....GO TO EBONY BEAUTY SALON IN THE LAUDERHILL MALL, RIGHT NEXT TO THE LAUNDRY MAT.:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:
B4 i even knew about this website and if i wasn't so scissor-happy and trendy, I would have had APL hair.:D Thats just how GOOD Novlette is!:D:mad::mad::mad::mad:
She won't even style your hair if you need a DC or Treatment. She will INSIST! She is very easy to work with... gives very stylish cuts... doesn't cut off too much hair for a trim...I can't RAVE more about her! Everytime i leave Novlette's salon, my hair is thick, full and healthy to wear people stare, the think its a WEAVE, and boys honk bc they think i am Trini Indian or hispanic. I am no longer listening to my mom bc she knows nothing about hair and she will have all of mine breaking off. No wonder latina women have bald pactches in the center of their scalps and their hair is soooo thin!!!!

I take control at the salon. I've learned to say "stop" and I watch which hairdresser { I just can't say Stylist--few can style} does what after having had 'enuff bad trips. I like Dominican salons, I like the prices,salon choices and the products. Last week, I watched as customer after customer had smoky, open the front door, please blowouts after roller setting beneath the dryers and emerging with beautiful curls then to sit for the smokeout and a wrap! I do not understand the blowouts and wraps afterward when the curls look so great. Bigger rollersets, less 'lottabody', leaving without a combout would probably help the hair to drape 'cause that's what I do.

Poohbear said:
Good point, Xavier. I thought the same exact thing. They are honking because they see an attractive Black woman. How do you [bravenewgirl] know they are thinking you are Trini Indian or Hispanic? They are honking at YOU, not an Indian or Hispanic. They are looking at you as you are with your hair the way it is. When you said "Boys honk bc they think i am Trini Indian or Hispani", you made an implication that Indians and Hispanics are more attractive than other women and that men are only attracted to women who look Indian or Hispanic....that's so not true.

Bravenewgirl, when you make posts online, people are going to read what they want and assume things from what they read from your posts. Some people are more analytical (like me) and read more into it than others. Some are more sensitive than others. That's life. You were the one who opened a can of worms by mentioning all these races, so don't go off on Xavier about it. Yes, you wanted to share a bad experience, but you said more things in your inital post... and some people here who read it are noticing everything that you say in your posts and will respond accordingly....and then you can respond to clarify your post if that's not what you meant by it. :cool:

UGH! I dunno what to tell you... it was meant as a joke... Poohbear. Usually i am not this rude.. but this is just what you do, babygirl. I've read some of your posts in the past... and this is what you do...take things waaaay out of context. The salon I usually go to is in a very caribbean part of town where lots of trinis, haitians, etc. go to hang out and get their hair done...So its a joke on the neighborhood where the salon is located and a joke on your hair being so gorgeous when you leave Novlette's. If you are from Sofla and you know that part of Lauderhill then you would understand. Even if you aren't from Sofla... Who CARES? Its a rant about a bad experience at a salon... not an Angela Davis rally?! I know LHCF is primarily directed towards women of color/blk wmn but not everything on this board has some ulterior racially-motivated context. I feel bad bc i think others who read this post think i am being mean... but you are getting on my nerve with this. Stop turning everything into more than its meant to be... you're starting to scare off people who can actually give me feedback on their experiences with dominican blowouts. Its not even close to being as serious as you are making it to be.

HMMM, i think you should have directed her more

after all

it is your hair

i always tell people what 2 do with my hair as their getting my money

dont be shy

its your head not theres

i even used 2 swap there combs for my wide tooth ones

and i told them to add more conditioner and leave it on for 10mins longer

when u tell em once, they usually remember

i just think she thought u didnt have a clue as u didnt open your mouth and tell her off

i can understand your post about trini's and hiatans is a slant

we say it here in england

"she was so good, my hair came out looking like an indian gyals - i looked much better etc etc" doesnt mean we dont like our blackness, its just a slant..

me and my friend say this often

i'm light skin and she is dark skin, i will blatently tell her if someone is treating her differently cos of her being darker

we also crack jokes about colour

i dont think its a deep issue at all, i dont think ur so niave that u assumed trini's or hiatains were more attractive..u were just saying something that is common to the area which u live...

i just think everyone takes things differently

so i believe u meant no offence

but u caused a bit

:lol:

nevermind

it'll pass....

Last edited:
bmoreflyygirl said:
A lot of times with Natural type 4 hair, they DO NOT rollerset. They go straight to the blowdrying. I've been to the Dom Salon plenty of times and they always did a good job with my hair but I'm sorry to hear about your experience. She wasn't doing something right. But that just goes to show you all stylists, no matter what color, don't always know what they're doing.

This is true ...but a very experienced person CAN & WILL roller set 4 a/b hair and follow it up with the blow out. But you're right. They dont always know what they're doing ( although you come to them TRUSTING that they do lol)and its shame when ya gotta find out the hard way.

Candy_C said:
HMMM, i think you should have directed her more

after all

it is your hair

i always tell people what 2 do with my hair as their getting my money

dont be shy

its your head not theres

i even used 2 swap there combs for my wide tooth ones

and i told them to add more conditioner and leave it on for 10mins longer

when u tell em once, they usually remember

i just think she thought u didnt have a clue as u didnt open your mouth and tell her off

Very true. I never speak up in the salon or too much in life really... thats why i am so trusting of Novlette. You know when you have a stylist that has been doing you for so long that they know EXACTLY how you want it done w/o you saying a word? And i do think she took advantage bc from the moment i walked into the salon i looked like a scared rat.

Poohbear said:

Well spoken PoohBear. That I why I just read her respond but chose not waste my precious time and energy typing. Thanks for doing it for me girl;) . No need for an arguement as far as I am concerned.

bravenewgirl87 said:
UGH! I dunno what to tell you... it was meant as a joke... Poohbear. Usually i am not this rude.. but this is just what you do, babygirl. I've read some of your posts in the past... and this is what you do...take things waaaay out of context. .
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: You do the same daggone thing! Don't get mad at Poohbear now. :rolleyes: Why does this always happen with your threads? If you know folks are always going to overreact, why do you even post stuff like this?

You could have worded everything you posted, in a manner that didn't make folks feel the need to come out of the woodwork and clown you. I'm just sayin. That's what goes down around here.

Poohbear said:
Bravenewgirl, you did a lot of generalizing in your post. First of all, you have a mind of your own.
And not all latinos get dominican blowouts and not all latinos have balding thin hair. You should have stuck with going to the Novlette salon with your regular stylist who leaves your hair thick and healthy-looking. I hope your hair recovers from this experience. Take care.

I am so sorry for you honey... but I agree, I am dominican and I am not bold at all:p . but that could happen anywhere, that can happen to me too. Dominicans (we) are a very mixed race (latinos from the caribbean) and we have all kind of skin color and type of hair from straight to very kinky even in one family (just have to see my brothers hair/skin) so, no matter what skin color the stylist is, if she knows what she is doing, you always gonna see great results.

la flaca said:
I am so sorry for you honey... but I agree, I am dominican and I am not bold at all:p . but that could happen anywhere, that can happen to me too. Dominicans (we) are a very mixed race (latinos from the caribbean) and we have all kind of skin color and type of hair from straight to very kinky even in one family (just have to see my brothers hair/skin) so, no matter what skin color the stylist is, if she knows what she is doing, you always gonna see great results.
Your hair is beautiful! :love:

StrawberryQueen said:
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: You do the same daggone thing! Don't get mad at Poohbear now. :rolleyes: Why does this always happen with your threads? If you know folks are always going to overreact, why do you even post stuff like this?

You could have worded everything you posted, in a manner that didn't make folks feel the need to come out of the woodwork and clown you. I'm just sayin. That's what goes down around here.

Stuff like this happens in my threads bc dramatic people look for stuff twist. SQ, i don't mean to be rude, but why is it that you're on that race brigade too? And primarily, you're the person who turns my threads into a huge racial deal. Its funny that only 4 people took all these statements out of context and others have PM'd me and said you all were being silly. SQ, you are another one... you search for drama. I've noticed that about you...i mean, i think its funny... but half the times in your posts i am usually very confused and basically left wondering how you even drew the conclusion that you did. If someone tells you that a man wearing a blk outfit crossed the street, you'll assume they were talking about a blk man!? No, a man wearing blk!!!!
Its alright to "say it loud,you're blk and you're proud", but not EVERYWHERE YOU GO AND EVERYTHING YOU SEE IS GOING TO VE RACIALLY MOTIVATED. I find with you and Poohbear that the threads you two post in tend to become uncomfortable... not only that, but the both of you have sort of a gang mentality about posting. And SQ, half of what you say in the threads don't even make sense... they are so far from the orginal topic matter. You can read btw the lines all you want to, but how you gonna read something that isn't there. Besides, would you know real racism if you saw it? I'm confused since everything with you two is racist.

Xavier said:
WOW!!!:eek:

"Boys honk bc they think i am Trini Indian or Hispani"....what is this sentence about?!?! So they can't just be honking because they see and attractive BLACK woman?

"No wonder latina women have bald pactches in the center of their scaples and their hair is sooo thin!!!!" Just like all black women have nappy heads of hair right:look:

Sorry to tell you that I find it hard to feel bad by the time I got to the end of your post:ohwell:

Dominicans are latinos and hipanics - And my skin color is dark, so I have the best of all worlds:)

Last edited:
la flaca said:

I was worried about that, too. But, if she doesn't have your texture then she won't understand what to do.

I am the only Dominican here so I apologize for your bad experience, do not go back ever and LADIES let's all be happy and move on:) ;)

Last edited:
bravenewgirl87 said:

Stuff like this happens in my threads bc dramatic people look for stuff twist. SQ, i don't mean to be rude, but why is it that you're on that race brigade too? And primarily, you're the person who turns my threads into a huge racial deal. Its funny that only 4 people took all these statements out of context and others have PM'd me and said you all were being silly. SQ, you are another one... you search for drama. I've noticed that about you...i mean, i think its funny... but half the times in your posts i am usually very confused and basically left wondering how you even drew the conclusion that you did. If someone tells you that a man wearing a blk outfit crossed the street, you'll assume they were talking about a blk man!? No, a man wearing blk!!!!
Its alright to "say it loud,you're blk and you're proud", but not EVERYWHERE YOU GO AND EVERYTHING YOU SEE IS GOING TO VE RACIALLY MOTIVATED. I find with you and Poohbear that the threads you two post in tend to become uncomfortable... not only that, but the both of you have sort of a gang mentality about posting. And SQ, half of what you say in the threads don't even make sense... they are so far from the orginal topic matter. You can read btw the lines all you want to, but how you gonna read something that isn't there. Besides, would you know real racism if you saw it? I'm confused since everything with you two is racist.
I didn't say anything regarding race. All I said was, why post things like this if you're always going to get this reaction? And then complain about it? I've noticed this happens a lot in your threads, and clearly you have too.

I have a gang mentality...confusing posts...racial threads... not making sense... :lachen: :lachen:

::munches on jelly bellys and takes a swig of pepsi:: boy oh BOY did things get heated in here! i see where both the OP and poohbear/SQ are coming from...the thing about the internet is that it's awfully hard to pick up sarcasm and intonation, and that's why you have to be very particular about what you write, otherwise you will get clowned...::adds a lil malibu to the pepsi:: that being said, OP i'm sorry about your bad experience and i hope that you can be as vocal with future stylists as you are on here...it's your hair and you gotta make sure that others do right by it the same way that you try to! :) ::burps:: carry on! :look:

oh oh

i see a lock coming!!

chill people chill

were all of black origin

i can see both sides to this (yeah i'm butting in but thats what i do)

i think you both have valid statments

poohbear is so sweet i dont think she means to get @ you
she clarified it nicely when she said some people read between the "lines" whether the "lines" are meant to be there or not..

why dont ya'll voice this out in a private message??

this is a smiley happy place!!!! :lol:

strawberry queen your hair grew mad fast in one year, u make me wanna go natural now!

Last edited:
Well... I think you will always be confused...(thats your typical response after someone has called you out on your foolishness)
about so many other things besides this post... So ladies, we all agree that this is not typical dominican blowout proceedure or is it? can you really straighten hair on low settings or must it be high heat? Is my hair scorched for life or can i bounce back from with with some DC and TLC?

bravenewgirl87 said:

i mean really, are the personal insults really needed? you so did not have to go there.

Candy_C said:
oh oh

i see a lock coming!!

chill people chill

were all of black origin

she clarified it nicely when she said some people read between 2lines" whether the "lines" are meant to be there or not..
why dont ya voice this out in a private message

cos this thread gone a bit childish

I totally agree. I don't want to discuss this in a PM or anything else bc its just crazy. I already told PB that not everything is meant to be racially perverse or a personal attack. She will know real true racism when it hits her.

:ohwell: (as usual).

La Flaca, please don't apologize for something YOU didn't do. Ella siempre dieces algo negativo sobre las latinas. Estoy alta y cansada.

bravenewgirl87 said:
Well... I think you will always be confused...(thats your typical response after someone has called you out on your foolishness)
about so many other things besides this post... So ladies, we all agree that this is not typical dominican blowout proceedure or is it? can you really straighten hair on low settings or must it be high heat? Is my hair scorched for life or can i bounce back from with with some DC and TLC?
Oh so now, I'm foolish? Oh and Poohbear's foolish too right? Can you educate us? I can't believe you're making this thread all about me when I didn't even have sh!t to say to you...hmmm. If you feel so negativly to us, why not put us on ignore?

Oh ok...continue on...rant away. :lachen: BTW: If you search the board, many other women have been burned/suffered damage from Dominican salons.

Candy_C said:
oh oh

i see a lock coming!!

chill people chill

were all of black origin

she clarified it nicely when she said some people read between the "lines" whether the "lines" are meant to be there or not..

why dont ya'll voice this out in a private message??

this is a smiley happy place!!!! :lol:

strawberry queen your hair grew mad fast in one year, u make me wanna go natural now!
Awww thank you Candy!! :kiss: :kiss: I needed to hear that now...I feel like it's creeping along now. :cry:

I don't care if 50 people pmed you and said that 4 people's post were silly. I am sure that many have read your thread and thought it was offensive and chose not to respond. Just because 4 people chose to respond doesn't mean that we are the only one swho feel this way. YOU were the one who started the drama with your generalizations....honey. I am sure that there are SOME latinas on this board who did NOT appreciate your comments about them being bald and having thinning hair...

I am not a sensitive person but when you make comments like the ones in your original post, you are definitely asking for a reaction IMO.
You have been on this board long enough to know how things work, so stop acting surprised that 4 people responded negative to your post.

Continue...

bravenewgirl87 said:
UGH! I dunno what to tell you... it was meant as a joke... Poohbear. Usually i am not this rude.. but this is just what you do, babygirl. I've read some of your posts in the past... and this is what you do...take things waaaay out of context. The salon I usually go to is in a very caribbean part of town where lots of trinis, haitians, etc. go to hang out and get their hair done...So its a joke on the neighborhood where the salon is located and a joke on your hair being so gorgeous when you leave Novlette's. If you are from Sofla and you know that part of Lauderhill then you would understand. Even if you aren't from Sofla... Who CARES? Its a rant about a bad experience at a salon... not an Angela Davis rally?! I know LHCF is primarily directed towards women of color/blk wmn but not everything on this board has some ulterior racially-motivated context. I feel bad bc i think others who read this post think i am being mean... but you are getting on my nerve with this. Stop turning everything into more than its meant to be... you're starting to scare off people who can actually give me feedback on their experiences with dominican blowouts. Its not even close to being as serious as you are making it to be.
No, It's not that serious... just calling a spade a spade and making points from what I have read. I'm not the only one who looked more into your post than what you supposedly meant by it. And I am in no way scaring off people or holding an Angela Davis rally, lol! Also, I didn't see your post as a joke initially so thanks for clarifying. Sorry for getting on your nerves about it...just some of the things you said hit a nerve with me as well as it has with a few other ladies in this thread.

buttaflye03 said:
:ohwell: (as usual).

La Flaca, please don't apologize for something YOU didn't do. Ella siempre dieces algo negativo sobre las latinas. Estoy alta y cansada.

estoy de acuerdo.

nycutiepie said:
Ladies - Today is GOOD Friday!

Agreed.....BNG, I'm sorry you had a bad experience and hopefully your hair hasn't suffered too much damage.

ETA: I think women of different backgrounds do have unhealthy hair not because of their ethnicity but because they don't know how to care for their hair. *If* you decide to get this done again, I think you should thoroughly research the salon and have a consultation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back