Ladies...can You Help Me With My Hair? Suggestions Appreciated

What would you do if you were me?

• Lacefront (natural or blow out/straightened look but either way natural looking)

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Get a natural weave no flatiron needed (leave out just enough of the edges) and kim

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Get a full weave and closure (Whatever style it just needs to look natural) sew in

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else innovative that I did not mention that would work great! (But then please post!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Oh my! I just saw this. I was thinking what if there were like a cap with cornrows that I could put clip ins on...and I googled and I guess some one else has considered this. Seems like the ultimate in no stress on the hair. What do you think? Has anyone tried this? I'm sure it would work just as well with natural hair. Then the question is how long can one keep it in....

I guess that may not matter anyways as can just wash in braids or cornrows and then put it back on. I keep thinking I have to take my braids down and detangle after washing but I can just leave them in and let them air dry and back in they go...

This is probably not comfortable to sleep on though...

Last edited:
I'd go with wigs if you are concerned about your edges being snatched. Sew ins tend to be a bit more comfortable though, imo. Plus, you can't be tempted to snatch it off in hospital like you could with a wig. Try both out.

You mean on my hair in general? Like cut bangs? I was thinking of that or the french bangs (where they are a little longer on the side. But then I'd have to straighten it all the time. That was the reason I opted out of that because long term, it doesn't allow the hair to rest if I am constantly flat ironing it.

I definitely feel like I can relate to your situation somewhat. No one told me that high dosages of prednisone and other meds for my auto immune situation would thin my hair. Although my hair continued to grow - the edges and overall health of my hair really suffered. I ended up cutting bangs leaving the back long and wore it straight for about 6 months. Even though the length was there it still felt paper thin. I recently cut off the steroid hair and have a tapered cut. I am so thankful to the Lord that my thickness is back and my edges have returned.

I know you say you don't want to go the big chop route again but honestly those ends will have to go eventually.
I feel like a weave of any sort will apply unnecessary pressure to your hair and scalp.

So glad to hear you have recovered from your illness.

:bighug:

I definitely feel like I can relate to your situation somewhat. No one told me that high dosages of prednisone and other meds for my auto immune situation would thin my hair. Although my hair continued to grow - the edges and overall health of my hair really suffered. I ended up cutting bangs leaving the back long and wore it straight for about 6 months. Even though the length was there it still felt paper thin. I recently cut off the steroid hair and have a tapered cut. I am so thankful to the Lord that my thickness is back and my edges have returned.

I know you say you don't want to go the big chop route again but honestly those ends will have to go eventually.
I feel like a weave of any sort will apply unnecessary pressure to your hair and scalp.

So glad to hear you have recovered from your illness.

:bighug:
Thanks for the well wishes @momi

I'm recovering but I am nowhere near well yet. Docs say it will take time and treatments but I am on my way and that's a good thing.

I wish you well and thank goodness everything is turning around for you! As for me I'm going to assess over time. I am weighing the pros and cons and will see. If it's thin or pitiful then it's gone. There is no way I'd hold on just to have hair. But if it's a minor issue, which time will tell, then I will just baby it. The reason I say that is that I still have prednisone (just not 100 mg iv or 60-80 by mouth which was what was my whole past ten months dosage, as I'm tapering it down now weekly but still keeping 9mg of budesonide which is also a steroid) and I have other medications that also influence the health of my hair. So I will have to see how my hair will do over time. Even if I do a drastic chop, then I may still have to do one depending on how my hair holds up (behaves for lack of a better word) and I won't know that until time goes by. I've found that medications influence not only hair thickness but even texture and everything. So I just have to wait. Not every hairstyle looks great on everyone, or on every texture (at least according to me) so I am going to wait to see what's best for me from that stand point.

As for wig/weave I'll decide in the next week on my trip to NY as I have a meeting. I'll have my hairstylist do a home visit to my apartment there and we will make something happen (if I don't do it myself!). But then I can always change so that's a good thing nothing is set in stone. Either way something will happen this week because it has to. I have to look presentable one way or another.

I also think it's good for over all mental health. When you're ill sometimes you need to see something that makes you happy to help keep your spirits up. How you look every day is one of those things. So I'm going to do it just for that reason alone.

Last edited:
So I went to NY with the clips added (and they were wonderful. I highly recommend!) From kurly klips. I even went through the airport with them. They did that thing where they scan you and then someone said they had to pat my hair but it wasn't embarrasing because I just said I had some hair pins in there (hair Clips hair pins whatever). They patted it and kim on each way (once by one of our own and she could not tell, and once by a white woman and she couldn't tell. ) No one did a, we have to take you in back and inspect thing. I think it's because my hair is out in between and I find if I stick my hands in my hair, you can feel the scalp in most places so it's not like with a weft where there are going to be problems. So no one knew. And in fact it was like a siren call. I had a lot of guys trying to hit on me. I think the mermaid hair is a fun look. I did half up and half down and I also twisted it into a french braid (I had a silk head band for that one).
what-are-kk.jpg

They were super fast to install as well so I can't say anything bad about the kurly klips. I only have good things to say.

I will be big chopping after all so stay tuned for that! :)

Back