Lace Front vs Weaves. compare cost, maintainenance, hair growth

Keep1Belle

Hi all:

I am desperately needed to do some protective styling. I have worn a full weave before and have done a normal wig in the past.

I ride (horses) alot so I sweat a lot and tend to co wash my hair 2 to 3 times a week.

Im tired of my curly pony puffs. Also, my new job I will be a PM with XM satellite radio. very shi-shi-fa-fa trendy place and I will be interfacing with a lot of key decision makers add to that Ill be working in DC and newly single. So I want ,y hair to be on point.

Ok so what do you think is best for me a weave and just get regular maintainence. (what is regular maintainace, last time I never got it tightened so it didnt last that long)??

Or should I get a lace front that I can (I'm assuming) take off every week to wash rebraid and then put back on? what anout sweat will it make the lace front not adhere?

So based on the following, what would be best to get?
  • cost to purchase/install
  • maintenance cost
  • time to maintain (wash, tighten, re-apply, etc)
  • growth (I guess I am talking about my hair line, temples, nape)
Thanks in advance. any other tips and pointers are appreciated

Depending on the style of weave and the type of hair you use, weaves can be versitle. You can have the sexy office hair and sweat out your hair and it will still look good. With full lacewigs you can sweat and stuff but you have to use the right adhesive you don't want your lace getting loose. But full lace wigs you have more versatility to the style you want up do's wear down curly or whatever. My lace front wig I paid $299 plus shipping for Indian hair. You can PM me for more details on that. You can also check out my fotki for weave styles and lace front wig styles. Hope this helps

I am personally a fan of the "regular" wigs. I've seen some really nice styles and colors over the past year and with the prices as low as $30, you can buy a new one every month.

I forgot to say, I used to wear sew-ins, but it is alot easier to take good care of my hair with the regular wig.

Lace front is in my avatar and the weave is in my signature

Weaves (Sewn-in)

My hair grows a great deal because of the lack of manipulation however the front portion of my hair gets extremely damaged because I'm always straightening it to blend it in with the weave. Plus, with this type of weave, I don't get a chance to really deep condition my hair as I'd prefer because the hair is corn rolled.

I usually keep it in for a little over 2-3 months. The cost would be about $300 each time I get a new installment (My hair is about $90 a pack and I get two packs even tho i don't use all of it). I'd get the weave tightened in between.

Lace Front

The Lace Front helped me grow my hair because of the lack of manipulation. I was able to remove the Lace Front wig every 4 days to wash, deep condition, moisturize and seal. I'd then braided it up and put the wig back on. When getting a touch up 16 weeks later, i was amazed at the growth. there are adhesives that are stronger than others and those particular ones would be good for people who sweat alot or swim. You'd just have to make sure to wear a scalp protector. My lace front was about $200. it lasted me about 4 months and that was only because I DAMAGED IT by flat ironing it EVERYDAY and adding color. I manipulated that thing in so many ways in addition to ripping a hole in it. But it still winded up being cheaper than getting a weave (for me that is). My next one is gonna cost $400 so the quality will be a little better and should last me a longer. The only downfall with the lace front is my edges. I used a really strong glue and left my lace front on for 4 weeks (laziness and vacation). I let someone else apply and I'm assuming they didn't put enough skin protection on. My edges were f'ed up. but thankfully, they are growing back lovely now.

reviving this thread.

any more thoughts?

I've been weaving up since Dec 07 and getting a little interested in lace fronts.

Back