Knotted Hair

growingbrown

I have noticed looking at strands of my shedded hair knots. It looks like someone tied a knot with my hair. What is this? Is this normal? How can I prevent this. BTW, I have relaxed hair.

growingbrown said:
I have noticed looking at strands of my shedded hair knots. It looks like someone tied a knot with my hair. What is this? Is this normal? How can I prevent this. BTW, I have relaxed hair.

that is exactly why i got my hair relaxed...was natural from 1999 to sep9 2006.

I thought I was the only one. I am glad that I am not the only one. Now ladies, what is causing this to happen:confused:

I have them too in certain spots. I usually only notice them when my hair is dry though. Sometimes my hair breaks off at the knot. :( Anything we can do to stop them?

I also have this problem, I am going to try trimming my ends, I finally made shoulder length and now I have to trim it, but I'm tried of all the knots and shedding:(

I just read the solution to this problem on Lisa Akbari's site, she is a trichologist. She told the girl to massage the ends/knots with a leave in solution and then add moisturizer to it and twist it up at night and sleep on a satin pillow case or use a bonnet.

So it would appear to me that this is caused by dehydrated hair ends.

You mean you can get RID of them? THLC calls em 'fairy knots', and I figured it was just a side effect of a certain length of hair.....but dried out ends, hmmm?? *nods* That makes sense - I'm hoping that once my color grows out, I wouln't have to deal with them, but I'm more than willing to keep my ends moisturized so that I won't have to deal.

Good to know...

I have had knots as well but I thought it was because of low manipulation while stretching. Since I relaxed, I actually do not have the problem anymore.

nomoweavesfome said:
I have had knots as well but I thought it was because of low manipulation while stretching. Since I relaxed, I actually do not have the problem anymore.

I just started getting knots too. I never had knots before. I just started doing braidouts, stretching (@ 9 weeks post relaxer) and using SURGE 14, Mango Butter on the ends, etc.:(

I wonder if it is because my ends are dry or what. I am going to watch this VERY closely. My hair doesn't like something that I am doing. It could be the braidouts; too much manipulation trying to make it look good to go out in public. Might try going back to my ponytail. If it ain't broke....

I have those knots as well and they are completely normal. I've heard them referred to as "pixie" knots. I get them when wearing my hair curly. The hair curls and loops into itself until it forms a knot. No, it's nothing you're doing wrong and there's nothing you can do to prevent them, unless you wear your hair stick straight all of the time.

i had them too :( at my shedding ends) thats why i was forced to trim after a trimless year; i find it s the only way but they still come a lot if i wear my hair loose a lot. i have less problems if i do the baggie method and deeply moisturize my ends with oils and vaseline and keep them under a baggie. i feel like its the lack of moisture when u have very dry hair and the broken ends that are frictioning against each other, especially if u keep your hair loose and not in protective styles. i see way less knots now that i did a good 2" trim so i try to keep the hair braided most of the time and avoid sleeping with loose hair

Back