Knots, Tangles, Furballs - MAJOR SETBACK, need help

wyldcurlz

ladies....i need your help! BADLY!!

How often are you detangling or combing through your hair?

I try to only do it when my hair is wet or loaded with conditioner. Well, in the winter, I'm only washing it on a weekly or every 10 days basis. By day 3 my hair is sooo tangled i can't even get my hands through it. I've even gotten fur ball like knots that have to be combed out (and I freak out because it seems like so much hair lost!) :(

If I wear a wash-n-go, I'm guaranteed tangles and fur balls the next day.

When I try to style it - forget about it. And my hair seems so DRY in between. Even though I'm moisturizing and sealing with oil every 3 days or so....

I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. My hair looks HORRIBLE!! embarrassingly horrible! Thin at the ends, full at the top - ugly!

Please give me some ideas or tell me how your combating tangles.

Ill tell you what I tried. hopefully more will chime in.................I recently started getting SSKs a lot.............almost daily:sad:.Been racking my brain trying to think of what am I doing to cause these, I co-wash my overnight oil/MT mixture, apply a leavein, moisturizer, seal and bun.

Ive been doing this since finding LHCF and just started getting SSKs and tangles.

I have trying to stop them by oiling the shaft and ends on weekends and braiding in 10-15 braids. I oil just the ends during the week. That has helped some but there must be something more I can do.

Maybe you can try oiling the ends and braiding, what do you think?

*apostrophe key doesnt work*

wyldcurlz

stop doing wash and goes. do styles like bantu/twist/braidouts to elongate the hair....also moisturize and seal more. i only detangle on wash day once its washed. my style of choice is twistouts and i moisturize and seal 1-3 times per week. for me i'm noticing the more moisture i have the less tangling and breakage i have when its time to detangle. i also do hardcore protein treatments about every 4-8 weeks (komaza protein strengthener)

eta:
i use qb amla and olive and seal with my own oil mix (olive, kukui, evco, meadowfoam and castor)

Last edited:
Wash and Go's are a huge no-no for my hair. I'm guaranteed to get lots of knots and matted hair the next day. To avoid tangles I always pre-poo and then put my hair in huge twists before wash. After washing I take each twist down and begin to finger comb with a leave in condish. Protective styles have been a lifesaver for my napps, they're really the only styles I can wear w/o getting knots and such. What kind of styles are you doing to your hair?

Airdrying isn't bad if you make sure your hair dries in a stretched state or in a state where it is held in a way that it won't tangle, like in braids or twists or banding. This ensures strands don't curl back on each other and wrap around each other in ways that cause tangles. I mean, blow drying just ensures hair dries without curling back tightly, so why not achieve the same thing without heat?

OP, if I am wearing my hair out, I comb it EVERY SINGLE DAY WITHOUT FAIL. The only time I do not comb my hair is when I wear it braided or twisted. I wear twists or braids for months on end so I can go months on end without using a comb because my hair doesn't get a chance to tangle. But if it's out, I use a comb. Don't just do what others do coz it sounds good; do what your hair needs. I have just been reading/observing stuff that people do who don't use combs and I'd NEVER dare do that. I know what my hair needs so I dance to the beat of my own drum and let others dance to theirs.

I dont think you were addressing me but Im going to answer anyway:lol:

I protective style daily, always in buns I don't really know how to twist, they fall out when I try.

I dc several times weekly using one one that has some protein because I co wash daily. I usually do a hard protein every 4-5 weeks and black tea rinse weekly.

Maybe getting the ends trimmed would help, they look pretty thin, should I add a reconstructor...........:perplexed

*sorry OP didnt mean to hijack your thread*

*dang apostrophe key doesnt work*

Hey OP since we may have similar hair types

What types of products are you using to moisturize your hair? I use kinky curly knot today leave-in on wet hair. I would suggest for the winter time to blow dry on low heat to stretch your hair out and seal your ends (I love JBCO and can not use regular castor oil).

Also, I can not air dry in braids or twists or I will have way too many tangles and webbed hair. Air drying is definitely not for everyone.

Since you only wash 1x a week or every 10 days, I think low heat may be beneficial. Try doing more protective styles like buns instead of the wash n go's.

Oil rinses. Detangle under the shower stream in sections with very warm water using a wide toothed comb followed by a comb with teeth closer together. CO wash afterwards. Not sure about wash and gos during the winter months. A diffuser may help? I think if your hair is whipping around in the wind it will be prone to tangles.

I dont think you were addressing me but Im going to answer anyway:lol:

I protective style daily, always in buns I don't really know how to twist, they fall out when I try.

I dc several times weekly using one one that has some protein because I co wash daily. I usually do a hard protein every 4-5 weeks and black tea rinse weekly.

Maybe getting the ends trimmed would help, they look pretty thin, should I add a reconstructor...........:perplexed

*sorry OP didnt mean to hijack your thread*

*dang apostrophe key doesnt work*

blackviolet It's probably time for you to clarify. What products are you using? I don't think your moisturizers or conditioners are moisturizing enough for your hair.

@blackviolet It's probably time for you to clarify. What products are you using? I don't think your moisturizers or conditioners are moisturizing enough for your hair.

Thanks NappyNelle :yep:

I thought that might be what my hair needed so I clarified this weekend w/VO5 Kiwi Lime, I try to stay away from cones, sulfates, and all that, but this was only .59 and I really wanted to get it done without having to go all the way to Whole Foods.

Sunday I clarified,black tea rinsed and dc with Marie Dean Sweet Milk mixed w/Green Hemp. Monday I made an infusion of Fenugreek leaves & powder, Agave & DL Panthenol and left that on for 2 hours.

Rinsed and moisturized with SD Satin Smooth mixed w/Lace & Pearls, sealed w/ Endall. The end result is my hair is smoother, shinier, and the knots are gone. Still feels a little dry, think I should try something else?

Last edited:
I have to agree about the wash & go's, some ppl are able to do it, but I have THE worst SSK's whenever I wear my hair like that. Was going to suggest you clarify but sounds like you already did. It may take a minute, and some bumped up moisture, to get your hair back on track, but sounds like you are well on your way. It's winter, so my only suggestion now would be to DC twice as much as you usually do.

just stopping in to say :wave: wyldcurlz

I'm sorry about your hair troubles. It sounds like maybe wash & go's should be an occasional style for you. I have to be careful with braidouts for reasons similar to your wash & go issues. :ohwell:

just stopping in to say :wave: wyldcurlz

I'm sorry about your hair troubles. It sounds like maybe wash & go's should be an occasional style for you. I have to be careful with braidouts for reasons similar to your wash & go issues. :ohwell:

Supergirl awwww, that means so much to me that you stopped by to say Hi!!! I appreciate it so much!! And thanks for tip.

I don't do Wash-n-Go's too often, i'm completely at a loss. right now its freshly washed and in two braided ponytails. its a shame that after all these years, i still get confused by my hair. maybe i need to keep a hair journal.

So if you have to be careful with braids....wow. i don't know what to do. Thanks again for saying hi!! *hugs*

Back