Knots - Didn't happen or Didn't Notice??

diamondlady

I have been noticing little knots on the ends of my hair. I have never noticed this before. I read a few posts about others with this problem but it either never happened to me before or I never noticed it before.

Does anyone know why this happens? Anybody know what can be done to prevent it?

I would love to know too. I've been having this problem since my last relaxer.
Rollersetting and using Razac leave in has helped a lot but I still get a few knots.

I asked the same question about a month ago. The response was:

It sounds to me like pixie knots. I used to get them when my hair got really
dry. The only way to prevent them was to keep it moisturized. After I got a trim
I didn't see them anymore though.

I trimmed about 80-90% of my permed ends off (didn't get them all; still learning) and the knots have truly decreased.

HTH

blissy:)

whenever I wear my hair out and it rubs against my clothes I always get knots so I'm bunning and keeping my hair off my neck until it reaches bra strap curly :)

i hate knots! i usually get them with a rollerset but much more with a twistout. so i try to do them only a couple of times a year.

blissy said:
I asked the same question about a month ago. The response was:

It sounds to me like pixie knots. I used to get them when my hair got really
dry. The only way to prevent them was to keep it moisturized. After I got a trim
I didn't see them anymore though.

I trimmed about 80-90% of my permed ends off (didn't get them all; still learning) and the knots have truly decreased.

HTH

blissy:)

Blissy, was that me? :lol: I used to get them in the back of my head when my hair was dry. If I kept it moisturized I wouldn't see them very often anymore. But since I got a trim, I stopped seeing them altogether. So I'm guessing those knots mean it's trim time for me.

Hi all,

Nappturality says that this is just the nature of having highly textured hair. Knots happen when the hair curls against itself, a shed gets caught in a kink or a split end.

Do not cut your hair to rid the knots unless they have become terribly bothersome or you have already reached your goal length.

If you are natural, I can attest that they will come back soon after you cut them.

I used to get knots all the time. Then I learned about deep conditioning and moisturizing my hair. Since I've put these two things into practice, no more knots. I didn't even have to trim.:grin: I'd guess my hair was just dry.

sunshinelady said:
Hi all,

Nappturality says that this is just the nature of having highly textured hair. Knots happen when the hair curls against itself, a shed gets caught in a kink or a split end.

Do not cut your hair to rid the knots unless they have become terribly bothersome or you have already reached your goal length.

If you are natural, I can attest that they will come back soon after you cut them.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I love this board!!!!

Sunshinelady, Napturality's answer seems to be the correct one for me. When I see the knot I carefully detangle it and it seems to be a shed hair entangled in my hair. I've been using protective styles so my hair is not rubbing against my clothes. I don't need a trim (I recently trimmed 4"). I don't think it's dryness since I recently found an answer to my crispy ends. This may not be what happens to everyone but I think this is it for me

Yeah, it is so unfortunate. I have actually been thinking about perming because of the knots. I feel like I am losing a lot of length due to the knots.

I deep condition every 3 days so I don't think it is anything other than the nature of my hair for me.

Let me know if you find anything different tho'. :)

Last edited:
I get these too.

I also got them from not enough moisture, but I've been told that once you reach around shoulder length or longer, you get them more often regardless, relaxed or natural.

Wishin4BSL said:
I get these too.

I also got them from not enough moisture, but I've been told that once you reach around shoulder length or longer, you get them more often regardless, relaxed or natural.

Maybe that's it. I didn't use to get them until 2 touch ups ago.

Wishin4BSL said:
I get these too.

Maybe that's it. I didn't use to get them until 2 touch ups ago.

I get lots of them when I wear a wash n go. I don't get them near as much when my hair stays stretched as in wearing a braidout/twistout, twists, or braid styles. I agree, that is the nature of natural hair.

Hmmmm, that's interesting. Ive never experienced my relaxed hair knotting.

The only time i have knots is when i just take braids out, after having them a month or longer, and as im combing my hair out there is def. some knotting.

KiniKakes said:
Hmmmm, that's interesting. Ive never experienced my relaxed hair knotting.

The only time i have knots is when i just take braids out, after having them a month or longer, and as im combing my hair out there is def. some knotting.

That was the only time I got them when I was relaxed too.

Back