Keratin Treatment Support Thread

Thanks cutenss, when i decide to do this, i think i'll go to my salon to get a blowout and flatiron....i'm not good at either and don't want to practice.

I think they'd all work the same. The only difference between each product is the scent.

dany06's take on Soft-Liss: one, two

Does anyone have an idea which brand (non formaldehyde) smells the least chemically? I thought it would not have much smell w/o formaldehyde. :perplexed I guess that's the reason for Soft Liss's array of scented formulations.

Well, I just ordered my QOD from Ebay, plus a Rsession root control iron. I can't wait for everything to come so I can get started!

I guess then my question will be, to stay relaxed or not, depending on how well this works out.

Well, I just ordered my QOD from Ebay, plus a Rsession root control iron. I can't wait for everything to come so I can get started!

I guess then my question will be, to stay relaxed or not, depending on how well this works out.
That recession tool is tempting me...the price is the only thing keeping me under control for now. Have you used it yet?

As a virgin natural I am prepared to do it again in 3 - 4 weeks. I know it's going to take a couple of goes to get this :afro: under control :lol:

Last edited:
ooooh yes! No more "snap, crackle, pop" when I wet detangle. I like to remove shed hairs before I jump in the shower to wash. This morning I was in a rush before my co-wash. I spritzed my hair with my leave in, ran through my hair with my denman in sections. Less than 5 minutes to fully detangle and remove shed hairs. I would continue to bkt for this reason, alone. I lose so much less hair on wash day. I love that.
I was wondering where you have been, you have been off enjoying your "Knot-Free" hair!! :lol: I ordered my QOD and I will be BKTing Thursday.

I may get my hair custom colored before I do my next treatment. I love the frosted tips look, with the color with the slightly "grown out" look.

Does anyone have an idea which brand (non formaldehyde) smells the least chemically? I thought it would not have much smell w/o formaldehyde. :perplexed I guess that's the reason for Soft Liss's array of scented formulations.

From the couple I pm'd on this site and PinkSkates on kissmyhair.net it seems I heard QOD doesn't smell, and no one has had "problems" with fumes/etc. QOD, They are approved ANVISA which supposedly has higher guidelines than FDA. In addition they have lower than the suggested amount by the fda of .02 so that they don't even have to put formaldehyde on the bottle. That may be an option. I know I've been looking into that one.

:arrowup: Yeah, QOD Gold is nice. It got a bit smoky during the flat ironing process (yet not as much as I expected) but I didn't smell any foul odor or experience any irritation or discomfort.

I'm really excited about my QOD Gold choice. I'm sorry but when PinkSkates did her hair with it, that was like the Good Housekeeping seal for me. If she would put her hair on the line for that product and then get the results she did....that sealed the deal in my book.

Wow this thread has blown up. I have been doing BKT somewhat secretly since last year. I thought I would get yelled at for it,on this site but apparently things have changed! The only complaint I have is after I put the treatment on, I can't really comb my hair. Its sticky. Perhaps I'm using too much? Maybe I didnt flat iron enough times? I definitely used more than 3 oz. When I watched Brittney's you tube vid she said not to use much product. I have the QOD Max and it does a fabulous job but I would like to be able to comb more during the flat ironing process. Once I wash it the hair is no longer sticky but I hate waiting. Any tips?

Subscribing........
and can somebody PLEASE tell me why its not ok to use products with sodium when you have this treatment in?? Will it make it revert or something?
Also after the first wash, is it ok to use things like setting lotion and other products on the hair before flat ironing?

I was told that sodium chloride breaks down the keratin bonds, so essentially you're removing the treatment.

After the first wash during the treatment process you want the solution on clean, freshly clarified hair. After your second wash (between 24 & 48 hours later, the longer the better) you can use your products.

Subscribing........
and can somebody PLEASE tell me why its not ok to use products with sodium when you have this treatment in?? Will it make it revert or something?
Also after the first wash, is it ok to use things like setting lotion and other products on the hair before flat ironing?

I'm really excited about my QOD Gold choice. I'm sorry but when PinkSkates did her hair with it, that was like the Good Housekeeping seal for me. If she would put her hair on the line for that product and then get the results she did....that sealed the deal in my book.

LOL @ "Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval"!!! I knew that if anyone had done their research, it would be her!

I was told that sodium chloride breaks down the keratin bonds, so essentially you're removing the treatment.

After the first wash during the treatment process you want the solution on clean, freshly clarified hair. After your second wash (between 24 & 48 hours later, the longer the better) you can use your products.

oooo! ok thanks! Yea, if I pay all that money for the solution, Id be HIGHLY peeved if I used something that made it go back in 1 day!! :wallbash:
So basically any products is good, just so long as it doesn't have "Sodium Chloride" in it? Thats the only ingredient to look out for?

Wow this thread has blown up. I have been doing BKT somewhat secretly since last year. I thought I would get yelled at for it,on this site but apparently things have changed! The only complaint I have is after I put the treatment on, I can't really comb my hair. Its sticky. Perhaps I'm using too much? Maybe I didnt flat iron enough times? I definitely used more than 3 oz. When I watched Brittney's you tube vid she said not to use much product. I have the QOD Max and it does a fabulous job but I would like to be able to comb more during the flat ironing process. Once I wash it the hair is no longer sticky but I hate waiting. Any tips?
LOL @ BKT on the DL.... I'll tell a radical sista to come and get these knots out of my ends if she is so concerned with the state of my hair...for crying out loud...I wish somebody would say something to me. I would kindly ask them to come detangle me at each wash...they would then likely suggest that I get a BKT or something! :lol:

I plan to brush the solution on to a small section and then use a medium/fine tooth comb to comb out the excess, section by section until I am done.

There has been strong emphasis on not getting too much product on the hair.

i think i'm going to skip the relaxers for a good while and just get this and sew ins for a while...this seems so tempting

Hi PGirl,
It sounds like you are using too much.

I love this thread! Subscribing! I'm seriously thinking about giving BKT a try. I'm sold on the Soft Liss & the QOD Gold. In the mean time I going to check TJ Maxx out for the flat irons. I love LHCF.

So I guess since sodium is a nono, going to the beach is a BIG nono when you have the BKT? ................... Oh well there goes my fantasy of me in my hot little bikini with a head of wild curls flowing in the humidity drenched air while "Carlos" butters up my back with sunscreen.................. *clears throat* :rolleyes:

So I guess since sodium is a nono, going to the beach is a BIG nono when you have the BKT? ................... Oh well there goes my fantasy of me in my hot little bikini with a head of wild curls flowing in the humidity drenched air while "Carlos" butters up my back with sunscreen.................. *clears throat* :rolleyes:
Just give it a try and see what happens...LOL

are you supposed to use a clarifying poo on subsequent applilcations??

would that strip away previous product on the hair already?
My guess would be yes to strip away cones, or oils or anything that would block the keratin from bonding with your hair cuticle.

Oh my, Pgirl, your hair has positively flourished!

Things haven't changed all that much around here lol. :ohwell: There was certainly a bunch of yelling and feet stomping just a couple weeks ago, but many tried it, all the same. I'm so glad I did! I loved my hair before, too, but my hair after bkt is so darned easy!

I agree that it sounds like you're using to much. After your first wash, the excess probably goes down the drain so it's easy for you to comb again. After applying on each section I comb through with a fine toothed comb to remove the excess.

LOL @ BKT on the DL.... I'll tell a radical sista to come and get these knots out of my ends if she is so concerned with the state of my hair...for crying out loud...I wish somebody would say something to me.

:lachen::lachen: I know that's right, AJ!!

Wally World (walmart) has a similar comb by conair for less than 5 bucks!

Thanks Chameleonchick! If anyone is unable to find it there you can order it from the global keratin web site here.

are you supposed to use a clarifying poo on subsequent applilcations??

would that strip away previous product on the hair already?

I wondered this too, Lwilliams. But I agree with AtlantaJJ that the treatment isn't instantaneously gone just because you washed with a clarifying poo with sodium chloride. It just gets rid of any gunk that could get in the way. Someone also explained to me that it may "rough up" the keratin that is already there, allowing the treatment to adhere better.

Oh and you will definitely feel the difference between your clarified hair before and after bkt. My hair always got very tangly after clarifying. :nono: But not anymore! When I clarified before my second treatment, my hair was still soft and tangle free just really clean.

Not necessarily. If you think you're going to spend a week or two at the beach over the course of the summer, I don't think you'll have issue. If you plan on spending every day in salt water for the next 6 months, then I'd say wait. lol

What clarifying poo is everyone using? Do you think that it's okay to use a clarifying poo (Kenra) that contains NaCl prior to applying the treatment?

I like the fact that I'm still going to have some curls, they just won't be so tight and all hugged up trying to make knots together!

What type/brands of conditioners are you ladies using after the treatment? For weekly conditioning?
Is the idea to use non-sulfate shampoo and conditioner?

Back