Keratin Disaster - Updated my Fokti, Updates

CynamonKis

Hi

I updated my Fokti with how keratin snatched me bald! Please don't laugh, it's not EVEN funny. The album is called "Keratin Ruined My Hair".

Good news that I went to a Trichologist, who put me on a regiment of DHT-fighting shampoo, conditioner, and vitamins. I have a pre-poo scalp treatment, then shampoo every other day. I use the DHT-fighting conditioner as the final conditioner. But because it is so drying, I alternate with Phytospecific conditioner, DRC 28, and Dudley's Moisturizing conditioner. Leave-in is Elucence conditioner.

Nightly, I apply the scalp treatment, and massage it in, cover head with satin cap, and of course I sleep on satin pillow case in case the cap falls off.

Shedding and breakage have drastically diminished, new growth in the thin/bald spots beginning, even before the laser treatments have begun.

Have ordered a laser, which should be coming in next week. Can't wait to begin the laser treatments!

Are you kidding me? Keratin made your hair go bald like that? WOW!!!!! Did you have color in your hair as well as the treatment? Sorry about this mishapm - thanks for sharing. What is your expectation from the laser treatments?

WOW!!! I'm so sorry you suffered so much damage from BKT treatments. I'm extremely happy to hear your hair is growing back with success. Some people have terribly adverse reactions to different products and your story is proof this treatment can cause very serious damage. I hope your hair continues to rebuild and thrive!

Hi Mystic

Yes I had henna hair dye in my hair prior to my stylist applying the henna, which I fully informed her about prior to the treatment. Oddly enough I had this same henna hair dye in my hair when I got the keratin in May, 2010. The 2nd time she put the keratin in my hair in December, 2010 is what did it to me.

Are you kidding me? Keratin made your hair go bald like that? WOW!!!!! Did you have color in your hair as well as the treatment? Sorry about this mishapm - thanks for sharing. What is your expectation from the laser treatments?

I had similar experience with BKT. The only difference is it didn't affect my scalp like yours, only my hair-end on one side. Funny thing is, I also used to henna at the time I did the treatment and the second time I applied the bkt is when my hair fell apart. First time was a charm, my hair loved the treatment but it went horrible later on. Inspite of the set back, my hair bounced back and so will yours. Good luck.

Aww, it broke my heart to look at your photos. I can only imagine how you are feeling :-(... I'm sorry doll.

Wow, I'm sorry this happened to you. I've heard a lot of good reviews about BKT but was always afraid to try it because of my sensitivity to hair dyes. I know that you will bounce back and I truly hope it's a quick turnaround for you. Keep us posted on your progress.

wow! just saw your pics--trust me, they are not funny! :bighug: so sorry this happened to you. wishing you a quick recovery

Thanks everyone for your prayers and well wishes I really do appreciate it. I started not to post my pics because I am so embarrassed, and heartbroken. But I DO want others to know that, while BKT works beautifully for some, it is not for everyone, and that BKT treatments do have their risks. I wanted y'all to SEE the potential damage up close.

Thanks Mystic for sharing your experience, and about the henna. Due to the damage near the scalp, I am hoping the laser treatments will stimulate the hair follicles to growth. Have you known anyone who did laser treatments?

Last edited:
*Hugs*

Your hair will bounce back, I may look into the trichologist for my little sister who also has issues with spot balding (chemical) and has very very fine hair. Thank you so much for sharing this, and the knowledge you've gained.

Please give more info; how you found the trichologist, what happened during the appointment, etc. I'm sure this will help someone else.

I'm glad you were able to resource someone to help you through it.

Thanks for posting this. It may help someone else. I know it was not easy for your to share. You got such good results the first time. I wonder what happened w/the 2nd application? Do you think it was just too much for your hair? Did she use the same type of BKT? Atleast there is plenty of info here to help you get back on track, I'm glad you are getting help from a professional.

ETA: I looked through all your pics and I am in shock!!! I'm so sorry this happened.:nono:

Last edited:
So sorry that happened to you.

A question.....as a person with 3a/b...baby fine hair why did you think you needed a BKT?

:bighug:
I'm so sorry this happened to you! Thanks for sharing your story and the pictures. Any thoughts I had about possibly getting a BKT are now gone!!! I am glad you are in good spirits and you are ready to begin a new healthy hair journey!

So sorry this happened to you. I know it was hard for you to post those pics but thank you for sharing your story. I hope your hair rebounds quickly.

After I decided to take a mirror to look at the back of my head, I saw that my situation was such that over the counter remedies would not be helpful. So I googled and happened to find the only Trichologist in my State, Delaware, so that's how I went to her.

After reviewing the questionaire she had me fill out, She examined my head and took pictures. After I told her about the keratin, she knew exactly what I needed. She said that most keratin damage occurs due to the heat of the flat iron. She also shared that the heat of most flat irons on the market DO NOT test out to be what they are advertised. If someone's hair is thin, previously treated with keratin, or colored, they may require less heat than what's normally called for in the directions. She said my hair loss occured when the excessive heat w/the keratin treatment disintergrated my hair's cuticle (yes, that is the word she used).

She wanted to see the MSDS sheets for the brand of keratin that my stylist used, so I emailed those to her after the appointment.

She said that my hair will grow back, because the damage did not penetrate the scalp. This is why she did not recommend minoxidyl for me, but she did recommend a line of products that has a couple of scalp treatmemts, conditioner and shampoo, plus DHT-fighting hair vitamins. And, or course, she recommended the laser treatment.

She has dealt with people that have baldness issues caused by internal factors, and showed me how their hair began to grow in 2-4-12 months. She said she did not expect mine to take that long. I committed to a regiment of 6 months, and we will see how that goes.

No, I do not know anyone who did the laser treatment that's why I wanted to know the expectation of the treatment.

Thanks everyone for your prayers and well wishes I really do appreciate it. I started not to post my pics because I am so embarrassed, and heartbroken. But I DO want others to know that, while BKT works beautifully for some, it is not for everyone, and that BKT treatments do have their risks. I wanted y'all to SEE the potential damage up close.

Thanks Mystic for sharing your experience, and about the henna. Due to the damage near the scalp, I am hoping the laser treatments will stimulate the hair follicles to growth. Have you known anyone who did laser treatments?

Wow! I had no idea that BKT could do that. I'm sorry to hear that you're going through something like this.:bighug:

I am so sorry that this happened. Thank you for sharing.

I have had or done a BKT on my own hair at least 8 times with no ill effects but get this, it's encouraged that BKT users have a color treatment (even if to dye the hair the SAME color) so the BKT will take better. I never did that and always felt that a double process (even on my natural 4a hair ) would be damaging. I would have never guessed a henna treatment combined with "formaldehyde free" BKT would result is baldness.

I'm sure your hair will grow back in short order, but I do agree you should sue the company for false advertising as "formaldehyde free".

After I decided to take a mirror to look at the back of my head, I saw that my situation was such that over the counter remedies would not be helpful. So I googled and happened to find the only Trichologist in my State, Delaware, so that's how I went to her.

After reviewing the questionaire she had me fill out, She examined my head and took pictures. After I told her about the keratin, she knew exactly what I needed. She said that most keratin damage occurs due to the heat of the flat iron. She also shared that the heat of most flat irons on the market DO NOT test out to be what they are advertised. If someone's hair is thin, previously treated with keratin, or colored, they may require less heat than what's normally called for in the directions. She said my hair loss occured when the excessive heat w/the keratin treatment disintergrated my hair's cuticle (yes, that is the word she used).

She wanted to see the MSDS sheets for the brand of keratin that my stylist used, so I emailed those to her after the appointment.

She said that my hair will grow back, because the damage did not penetrate the scalp. This is why she did not recommend minoxidyl for me, but she did recommend a line of products that has a couple of scalp treatmemts, conditioner and shampoo, plus DHT-fighting hair vitamins. And, or course, she recommended the laser treatment.

She has dealt with people that have baldness issues caused by internal factors, and showed me how their hair began to grow in 2-4-12 months. She said she did not expect mine to take that long. I committed to a regiment of 6 months, and we will see how that goes.

It's interesting that she is giving you DHT fighting vitamins. I thought DHT is a problem with male-pattern heredity related hair loss and not hair loss from unnatural causes(traction, heat, chemicals etc). For the longest I've heard that Rogaine wont help women with these hair losses, because it's not heredity related, but it seems like DHT is related to all types of hair loss??

Back