Keratin Disaster - Updated my Fokti, Updates

Not sure why your trichologist is focused on dht blockers since your hair loss was induced by heat and chemical damage and not androgenic alopecia. Minoxidil causes vasodilation which increases nutrients to hair follicles so it may help a particularly bad area and not use over the whole head. A lot of the ladies are having success with Minoval drops and hair oil.

I can see some hairs growing in already so hopefully you will have good results. Babying your hair and scalp massages with castor or emu may help.

If you dont mind answering,"Why does ur hair seem orange colored on top? Is the color change from the Henna used on gray/light or blonde colored hair?
I thought the laser treatments could take anywhere from 3-6 months to show results, is that true?

Please update ur progress. I am sure your hair will bounce back. Please be patient. Also if you dont start to notice improvement (not totally better) within 6wks, please see a dermatologist.

So sorry you're going through this. What did the salon have to say about this? Lawsuit much?

I really appreciate you sharing your story with the rest of us. I've subscribed to some BKT threads b/c I've been thinking about doing it, and saw nothing but positive reviews. I have fine 4b/4a hair that relaxes bone straight in 5-7 minutes with an uncut mild/sensitive relaxer and was worried about the heat. Thinking about it, it makes sense that the high heat used in BKT could result in hair disintegration... but for whatever reason I considered it safer for me than relaxing.

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. You may have saved someone's hair. It sounds like you have a good doctor on your side. Good luck and happy hair growing. This time, next year this will just be a part of your hair testimony. You'll have your comeback.

Cynthia,

I know that it was very difficult for you to share these pictures and I so admire your courage. I too, am going thru a bad BKT experience, although not as extreme as your hair loss, and I truly feel your pain. You have been most helpful to me and I pray for you that your hair will make a quick recovery. I know that you have saved someone's hair today! Sending you a big hug. Things will get better soon!

WOW OP!! Thank you so much for posting this information! I am so sorry that you have to go through this but I am glad that you are arming yourself with the knowledge and correct people to fix this situation. Just think how bad it could have been if it was 10/15 years ago! We're here for you and please keep us updated!

After I decided to take a mirror to look at the back of my head, I saw that my situation was such that over the counter remedies would not be helpful. So I googled and happened to find the only Trichologist in my State, Delaware, so that's how I went to her.

After reviewing the questionaire she had me fill out, She examined my head and took pictures. After I told her about the keratin, she knew exactly what I needed. She said that most keratin damage occurs due to the heat of the flat iron. She also shared that the heat of most flat irons on the market DO NOT test out to be what they are advertised. If someone's hair is thin, previously treated with keratin, or colored, they may require less heat than what's normally called for in the directions. She said my hair loss occured when the excessive heat w/the keratin treatment disintergrated my hair's cuticle (yes, that is the word she used).

EXACTLY what happened to me. 1st time BKT was a dream. Hair swinging. Loving it. Second time my APL hair broke off down to the new growth (yep 2 inches). My hair had completely disintegrated. Luckily it was only the back middle but I still had to cut the length of my hair becuase it look like I had a mullet. I'm slowly on the mend.

Thanks for posting and sharing with others.

Apparently, the BKT should not be used by those of us with fine textured hair. My hair is cottony soft and fine textured but dense which makes it appear thick. I am so glad that I did not use the recommended high heat to flat iron my hair as mine probably would have disintegrated to the root. As it currently stands, it disintegrated immediately after the treatment. I have lost 5-6 inches of hair after my BKT in November and my ends are currently terrible. I am grateful to have not loss all of my hair and praying for recovery for all of us going thru this ordeal. NEVER AGAIN.

So sorry this happened to you. I can't imagine how you're feeling right now. Thanks for sharing the pictures-maybe you will save someone else from going through the same thing!

I'm so sorry that happened to you! I'm saying a prayer for you hun...happy your so srtong because I would be a mess! Stay positive

I know I am way late, but I too had the same experience! The brazillian tech keratin treatment I performed made my 4B hair soft and manageable, the first time I used it. However the second time, after blowdrying, my hair looked as if someone chopped it off with scissors in some areas, in other areas, it was paper thin! I will NEVER use a keratin treatment again! I am now back to using the simple regimen my hair thrives on (protein treatment 2X a month, and deep conditioning using the baggy method weekly)!

Did the salon reimburse you and provide any deep conditioning treatments for you at all? Which is the product they used? It could have been a boot-leg one. I'm so sorry.

I'm very sorry this happened and wish you a speedy recovery. Know it is frustrating. Hang in there!

Back