K-Pak + heat?? Unsure how to use.

Lava27

:newbie: Newbie alert:

I'm always starting these threads when I'm in the middle of doing my hair!:wallbash: Don't know why I wait so long to ask questions, but anyway, I'm pre-pooing now and after wash going to use K-pak for the first time.

So do you Joico gals use this with heat? For how long if you do? THANX!

Is this your first time trying it? Why don't you follow the directions the first time you try it out.

Lol...I know, I should. I don't know if u remember me from my Kenra/GPB nightmare where you posted some good suggestions. But 5 minutes with no heat seems like so little to me, seems like it wont do anything for me without more time or a lil heat...or both.....ahhhhh...I'm so BAD,:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I have a problem with directions. Maybe I'm assuming the directions are more for type 1-2 hair and need to be tweeked a bit for my type 4 hair????? Oh yeah, this is supposed to act as my first 1 week post relaxer protein too.

Lol...I know, I should. I don't know if u remember me from my Kenra/GPB nightmare where you posted some good suggestions. But 5 minutes with no heat seems like so little to me, seems like it wont do anything for me without more time or a lil heat...or both.....ahhhhh...I'm so BAD,:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I have a problem with directions. Maybe I'm assuming the directions are more for type 1-2 hair and need to be tweeked a bit for my type 4 hair????? Oh yeah, this is supposed to act as my first 1 week post relaxer protein too.

:lol: I know 5 minutes doesn't sound like alot, especially with everyone always talking about 45 minutes of conditioning every 3 days but seriously, they say 5 minutes for a reason. IMO doing the super long conditioning sessions sets you up to ping pong back and forth between the extremes of moisture and protein. Once your hair is back to a base line level, you really don't need to keep conditioner on your hair forever and a day. Its only going to absorb but so much each conditioning sessions. The effects of conditioners are cumulative. It takes time and you can't rush it by leaving it on for 30 minutes. I mean time in 5-10 minutes on a regular basis.

I agree with gymfreak, I use k-pak and i follow the direction because as she said it says that for a reason. Also my theory is that because it has the correct mollecular weight it is able to penetrate the hair shaft as oppose to other contioners and treatments that require heat in order to raise the cuticle to penetrate, as i said, just my theory. HTH

Well...i used with heat (i know I'm bad) for about 15 minutes. Came out nice though. It's so odd, I know this stuff doesn't harden or anything, but for me, I felt way more strengthening effects then with Aphogee 2 step (the hard one)! Thought that was a little weird. Next time I will try without heat and see how that is. So far, this product is a definite keeper. Thicker strands already, and ends that I thought needed cutting are looking like I may be able to keep them!

Lol this thread was right on time!

I was SOO excited to do my DC with joico k-pak for the first time last night! I went straight home (I usually dilly dally and make some stops) but I was excited! I had a touch up on Saturday and this was my first post touch up treatment (other than daily oil and moisture). So I washed with a neutralizing shampoo (I should start a whole other thread on that one) and then put the k pak on with a shower cap. I was thinking to leave it in for 30 mins no heat. I was watching TV...put my head on the pillow...the next thing I know it is 2 hours later :ohwell: I washed it out and my hair felt weird...very strong, but a little sticking together. I made sure every ounce of the product was out with repeated rinsing and same feeling. I put in my lacio leave in, blow dried straight and all was well. I had little to no shedding/breakage (which could have been because I just had a touch up OR could have been the k-pak) and my hair was soft.

I do not recommend sitting with it on your head for 2 hours, but so far I'm not bald...I'll keep you ladies posted...

Lol this thread was right on time!

I was SOO excited to do my DC with joico k-pak for the first time last night! I went straight home (I usually dilly dally and make some stops) but I was excited! I had a touch up on Saturday and this was my first post touch up treatment (other than daily oil and moisture). So I washed with a neutralizing shampoo (I should start a whole other thread on that one) and then put the k pak on with a shower cap. I was thinking to leave it in for 30 mins no heat. I was watching TV...put my head on the pillow...the next thing I know it is 2 hours later :ohwell: I washed it out and my hair felt weird...very strong, but a little sticking together. I made sure every ounce of the product was out with repeated rinsing and same feeling. I put in my lacio leave in, blow dried straight and all was well. I had little to no shedding/breakage (which could have been because I just had a touch up OR could have been the k-pak) and my hair was soft.

I do not recommend sitting with it on your head for 2 hours, but so far I'm not bald...I'll keep you ladies posted...

Wow...crazy story! Good to know you're not bald! That stuff is strong! Feels so light and harmless when you're putting it on, but it packs a punch...lol:grin:

I like it though, going to use for a shorter time though next time because my hair wasn't really "soft" per se, but strong, and that's what I was going for. Keep us posted.

I TRIED THIS STUFF FOR THE FIRST TIME LAST WEEK AND I STRONGLY REC' THE SUGGESTED 5 MINUTES AS THE DIRECTIONS SAY.. THAT 5 MIN PACKED A POWERFUL DOSE OF PROTIEN... ANY LONGER AND I KNOW I WOULD HAVE GONE INTO OVERLOAD!

Wow...crazy story! Good to know you're not bald! That stuff is strong! Feels so light and harmless when you're putting it on, but it packs a punch...lol:grin:

I like it though, going to use for a shorter time though next time because my hair wasn't really "soft" per se, but strong, and that's what I was going for. Keep us posted.

ITA W/ THE BOLDED!!

Back