Just Self relaxed with Mizani Butter Blends

mezzogirl

A few days ago I self relaxed for the first time in over a year. I was excited about trying Mizani butter blends. I based my scalp the night before with Mizani butter base. I also put Honey shield on the ends. The day of I based again and re-applied the honey shield.

I used the half and half method. I had so much new growth that I did the front half first. Thank goodness I did because I just got through it in time. I had a friend rinse me, i used the Mizani Perphecting Creme and then the Balance Hair bath. I then had my friend apply relaxer to the back half of my head. After the back was finished, I applied a rinse for 25 minutes, rinsed and used Joice K-Pak moisturizer.

Unfortunately my back is very underproccessed.:sad: I think this might be because my friend did not put enough relaxer to break down my 4 a/b hair. :nono: The front part, which I did alone was much straighter but only about 80 -85%. I co-washed my hair today (a few days after) and did a hard protein followed by kera care humecto. My roots are very puffy in the back and a little puffy in the front. Usually my hair is laying against my scalp this soon after a relaxer. Maybe I put too much base. Does anyone know if the relaxer will stop working if the base gets on the hair? I also put the hony shield (protectant) on my ends and they were very wet from the product. Maybe I used too much. I am going to wait till my next relaxer and give it one more try. Any suggestions are welcomed. Right now I have an afro in the back under my relaxed hair.:wallbash:

does seem like a lot of basing to me. i though that you were only supposed to base around the hairline and your ears? i hope you didn't put any on your scalp. and maybe you didn't use enough relaxer or didn't let it process long enough.

i hope it works out next time! i want to try the butter blends myself, so i'm looking for good reviews! :grin:

Hi, thanks for posting your first self relaxer experience. I do think that you were underprocessed because you based your scalp twice, some of the base probably got on the hair which led to the relaxer not processing properly. Also the back of MY hair is a different texture from the front. It's possible that the back needed a longer time than the front. :yep: This happens. The main thing is that you didn't burn, overprocess or damager your hair. It sounds like you're right on track. Look at it this way - some of us underprocess on purpose (like me) to remain Texlaxed, instead of relaxed.

Good job! Your lhcf sisters are proud of you!

I used the Mizani Butter Blends (the mildest) for my last 2 retouches and I get the same result as you. I base my scalp with vaseline and cover my relaxed ends with conditioner. I'm texlaxed anyway but this relaxer is making my hair fro out. I'm switching to the regular Mizani for my next retouch to see if that works better. So I don't think that the problem is you, I think it may be the relaxer.

i could get vaseline all up on my ng and still get it straight. Remember, it is said that some relaxers have an acidity that is almost comparable with Drano.

I think it probably has more to do with your relaxer and/or the way the relaxer was applied.

I self relax and I actually split my head into three sections (back half, two separate sections in the front), and some ladies say that Mizani underprocesses. You must just have to tweak what you do, that's all.

There is a bone straight relaxer thread floating around here that you may find helpful. Also, maybe you might want to get a different friend to help you, tweak your own process or get a professional.

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of self-relaxing! I agree with Lana...you probably may have overdone the basing, espcially in the back. I personally prefer being underprocessed (texlaxed), but I'm sure you'll get it right on your next touchup. Like Lana, my hair has two different textures...4b in front that relaxes pretty easily and 4c-4z in back that is resistant, so I always process my back section longer.

OT: Lana, could you be my hair twin??
icon7.gif

i could get vaseline all up on my ng and still get it straight. Remember, it is said that some relaxers have an acidity that is almost comparable with Drano.

I think it probably has more to do with your relaxer and/or the way it was processed.

I self relax and I actually split my head into three sections (back half, two separate sections in the front), and some ladies say that Mizani underprocesses. You must just have to tweak what you do, that's all.

There is a bone straight relaxer thread floating around here that you may find helpful. Also, maybe you might want to get a different friend to help you, tweak your own process or get a professional.

Are they saying the Mizani Butter Blends underprocesses or is it both lines? I was also thinking of using Affirm for my next retouch but I thought it might be safer to stay with the same brand instead (I don't want any breakage from switching relaxers).

From what I heard, butter blends is even milder than the Mizani fine/color treated relaxer, which I use. I have wanted to try this relaxer becasue I have fine hair. I heard that it is a very good relaxer. You also probably have two different textures in your hair. Most people have that. you will probably need to start in the back because for some reason that area takes longer to process. The front doesn't take as long because you always use brush and do things to the front.

From what I heard, butter blends is even milder than the Mizani fine/color treated relaxer, which I use. I have wanted to try this relaxer becasue I have fine hair. I heard that it is a very good relaxer. You also probably have two different textures in your hair. Most people have that. you will probably need to start in the back because for some reason that area takes longer to process. The front doesn't take as long because you always use brush and do things to the front.

I start in the back and I leave the relaxer on for the full time even though I'm texlaxing but it still leaves my hair frizzy.

I have a question: I recently bought the Mizani Butter blends for fine/color treated hair. My hair is fine to medium; I usually add a tsp of coconut oil and/or olive oil and a capful of SAA. Is this all too much. Will my hair be really underprocessed. After reading these reviews I am thinking that I should not add anything to the relaxer. I am looking to touch up in a couple of weeks, any suggestions?

I have a question: I recently bought the Mizani Butter blends for fine/color treated hair. My hair is fine to medium; I usually add a tsp of coconut oil and/or olive oil and a capful of SAA. Is this all too much. Will my hair be really underprocessed. After reading these reviews I am thinking that I should not add anything to the relaxer. I am looking to touch up in a couple of weeks, any suggestions?

I wouldn't add anything if I were you. It is very mild and my hair is very fine. At first I thought the problem was me (I only left the relaxer in for 10-12 minutes for texlaxing). Then this last time I left it in for the full amount of time (I think I may have even gone over by about 2 minutes) but I still got the same result.

My sister and I have both used Mizani Butter Blends system and loved our results.

My sister has thick dense 4a/3c hair and I have fine & medium densisty 4a/3c hair. When we relaxed our hair we used the regualr verision even though maybe I should have used the fine system because I have fine strands.

Aside from that we based our scalp and made sure we didn't get the base on our new growth, applied honey shield to our previously relaxed hair and then we timed each section starting in the back since the back normally takes longer to process. We continued with the rest of the system and once we finished we both had texlaxed hair (since that's what we were going for) Mine of course layed flatter to my head since b/c of my texture.

For future use I would recommend not applying the base and honey shield on overnight and just applying before you do your relaxer. Also to NOT add anything to the relaxer system personally. Only other thing is if you previously used a non lye relaxer system and then switch to a lye system the lye system will "lock in your curls" meaning it's will be more difficult to relax bone straight. Everyone's hair is different but this is just our experience with the realxer which we love.

My sister plans to try relaxing bone straight with this relaxer system in about 2-3 weeks. Will post results.

Hi, thanks for posting your first self relaxer experience. I do think that you were underprocessed because you based your scalp twice, some of the base probably got on the hair which led to the relaxer not processing properly. Also the back of MY hair is a different texture from the front. It's possible that the back needed a longer time than the front. :yep: This happens. The main thing is that you didn't burn, overprocess or damager your hair. It sounds like you're right on track. Look at it this way - some of us underprocess on purpose (like me) to remain Texlaxed, instead of relaxed.

Good job! Your lhcf sisters are proud of you!

Thanks so much for your encouragement.:yawn:

bbdgirl, what relaxer do you currently use?

The last relzxer I used was Mizani no-lye. To be honest my hair felt underprocessed for the amount used and the time I left it in, I have been transitioning to texlaxing so I wasnt too disappointed but I was surprised. Mizani is very gentle and moisturizing. I am trying to switch over to lye becuase it is supposed to be better for my hair.

I used the Mizani Butter Blends (the mildest) for my last 2 retouches and I get the same result as you. I base my scalp with vaseline and cover my relaxed ends with conditioner. I'm texlaxed anyway but this relaxer is making my hair fro out. I'm switching to the regular Mizani for my next retouch to see if that works better. So I don't think that the problem is you, I think it may be the relaxer.

I agree with this.. I was underprocessed too after using it and I didn't even base my scalp I dont think when I used it.

I'm kind of in a similar situation as you. I'm texlaxed with Mizani BB Mild and I'm getting a touch-up tomorrow but my stylist is switching to the Mizani BB Regular to see if we get a better result. I've used the Mizani BB Mild for my last 2 relaxers but I'm switching to the regular for this one. I'm also having her do a semi-corrective because I want my hair straighter than it currently is. I think it's a really good relaxer and I tried to go with the mild, because my hair is fine 4ab and it processes really quick. However, I think I need something stronger up in here. The MBB Mild is "light" for lack of a better term and it has me "fro-in out" too.

I wouldn't add anything if I were you. It is very mild and my hair is very fine. At first I thought the problem was me (I only left the relaxer in for 10-12 minutes for texlaxing). Then this last time I left it in for the full amount of time (I think I may have even gone over by about 2 minutes) but I still got the same result.

thanks for the reply; didnt mean to hijack this thread it's just that I had a similar experience with Mizani and was confused as to how to proceed the next time.

We continued with the rest of the system and once we finished we both had texlaxed hair (since that's what we were going for) Mine of course layed flatter to my head since b/c of my texture.

For future use I would recommend not applying the base and honey shield on overnight and just applying before you do your relaxer. Also to NOT add anything to the relaxer system personally. Only other thing is if you previously used a non lye relaxer system and then switch to a lye system the lye system will "lock in your curls" meaning it's will be more difficult to relax bone straight. Everyone's hair is different but this is just our experience with the realxer which we love.

yes this is what I was thinking as well do not add anythind to the relaxer. Also, what do you mean about "locking in your curls". Like if I wanted to do a corrective and go over the hair that was relaxed with the lye product it would be difficult to get it to bone straight?

Well I am so happy I came in to check this thread as I am also switching over to Mizani butter blend my next relaxer from the regular mizani lye relaxer and even though I have fine hair, I will be using the regular strength because I don' treally like the difficulty of dealing with the
multiple textures of texlaxed hair.

For those who have used the butter blend version, I have a question for you. Is it absolutely necessary to use the entire butter blend line or can I use some substitute products that do the same thing as the BB base, the BB hair protectant? I can't remember the actual names.

From what I heard, butter blends is even milder than the Mizani fine/color treated relaxer, which I use

I definitely believe that is true based on my experience.

I use Mizani for fine/colored hair but I did do a strand test with Mizani Butter Blends for fine/color treated hair before I decided to go with the regular mild strength Mizani. After 18 min, my hair looked barely relaxed with the Butter Blends. Whereas with the regular Mizani, my hair relaxes within 12 min. Mind you, I base my entire scalp twice before relaxing and I've never had problems when I relax with the reg mild strenght Mizani. I didn't base when I did my strand test (no need) and still the hair came out severely underprocessed.

My sister and I have both used Mizani Butter Blends system and loved our results.

My sister has thick dense 4a/3c hair and I have fine & medium densisty 4a/3c hair. When we relaxed our hair we used the regualr verision even though maybe I should have used the fine system because I have fine strands.

Aside from that we based our scalp and made sure we didn't get the base on our new growth, applied honey shield to our previously relaxed hair and then we timed each section starting in the back since the back normally takes longer to process. We continued with the rest of the system and once we finished we both had texlaxed hair (since that's what we were going for) Mine of course layed flatter to my head since b/c of my texture.

My sister plans to try relaxing bone straight with this relaxer system in about 2-3 weeks. Will post results.

Thanks for this detailed review Neala21. Do you think it would be okay to put just a little bit of silk amino acid in my mizani BB regular strength relaxer? I want to do this for added strength to my hair throughout the relaxer process.

Do you think it may have been your technique?

The first time I tried Mizani Butter Blends my cousin put it in my hair. My hair was bone straight. When I applied it myself a few weeks ago my hair came out underprocessed in the back. I believe it was my technique that gave me the varied results. It was my first time self relaxing and I don't think I smoothed the relaxer in enough.

I believe it was Gym who had a good post about how it's up to us to smooth and straighten the hair once the relaxer is applied. Next time I'll have that smoothing thing down :yep:

ITA that it may have something to do with you basing overnight. I'd assume the base would get on the rest of the hair.

I just used Mizani BB, after a 6-month stretch, and I didn't use any of the other products that go along with it. This has to be the best relaxer I've ever used. I based with vaseline, and I ended up basing throughout my scalp because I was nervous about how my scalp would react after stretching for so long. I have washed twice and co-washed at least 3 times since I got my relaxer on 6/9, and my hair still feels the way it felt the day I relaxed.

Thanks for this detailed review Neala21. Do you think it would be okay to put just a little bit of silk amino acid in my mizani BB regular strength relaxer? I want to do this for added strength to my hair throughout the relaxer process.

You mentioned not wanting to deal with the difficulty in multiple textures, which is the issue I'm currently dealing with, so I do not suggest adding anything to Mizani BB. I have been using the MBB Mild system and I am switching over to the Mizani BB Regular and I'm not adding anything. My hair is relatively long but it's fine and susceptible to breakage and I have not had any breakage issues with this system.

You asked about using other products with the MBB relaxer and I wouldn't suggest that either. I've been using the entire system (honeyshield, etc.) for at least my last 2 relaxers (I think it's actually been 3 but I can't remember) and have not had a single problem other than the fact that the relaxer is exceptionally mild. I think it's a system that's meant to work in conjuction with everything supplied but that's just my opinion. I think the MBB Mild would be a a great relaxer for a natural interested in softening their texture without going really straight. I'm looking for a straighter result and I hope to achieve that tomorrow with the regular strength MBB. I'm actually going to have my stylist do a corrective to even this sucka out. HTH!

Are they saying the Mizani Butter Blends underprocesses or is it both lines? I was also thinking of using Affirm for my next retouch but I thought it might be safer to stay with the same brand instead (I don't want any breakage from switching relaxers).

I don't remember which one...I have no experience with Mizani, I just always remember hearing about how it underprocesses

What I mean by it "locking in the curls" is when you try to go back over previously relaxed hair with Mizani Butter blend system it relaxes your curls a little more but not bone straight. You will notice the curls are more relaxed but not straight.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...e_chemical_relaxing_better.html?page=4&cat=69
In general, lye relaxers do not straighten the hair as completely as no lye relaxers. This means that the level of disulfide bond breakage from lye relaxers is less than that of no-lye relaxers. Lye relaxers are more likely to leave a level of disulfide bond breakage that still allows the hair to maintain its natural strength and elasticity.

So if you are really trying to get your hair straight then you will need to do so with a NO-Lye. If you don't mind waves then use a Lye-relaxer. The link above explains the pros & cons. I've also posted below

The Good News about No Lye-Relaxers!
1.) They are easier on the scalp.
Because no lye relaxers are gentler on the scalp, most "sensitive scalp" relaxer formulas tend to be no-lye. These relaxers are best for individuals who prefer milder relaxer formulas and those with sensitive scalp conditions.

2.) Often produce straighter results.
If you are interested in achieving a straighter turnout, no lye relaxers are more likely to straighten the hair more completely than lye relaxers.

3.) No lye relaxers generally bear a lower pH than lye relaxers, and do not lift or swell the hair cuticle as much as lye relaxers to achieve straightening.

4.) No lye relaxers are readily available for general consumer purchase at retail outlets.
They are usually sold in "kits" with everything you will need (activator, stirring stick, base, neutralizer) for your relaxer application.

The Bad News!
1.) No-lye formulations tend to leave mineral deposits behind on the hair shaft.
These mineral deposits can dull the hair and make it less able to absorb much needed moisture. Calcium deposits can make the hair brittle, dry, and prone to breakage. This dryness is perhaps the greatest complaint of individuals who use no-lye relaxers.

**However, it should be mentioned that no-lye relaxing is not the only situation where mineral deposits are exposed to the hair shaft. Hard water contains high levels of minerals that can also leave the hair dull and lusterless. Chelating shampoos are formulated to remove any mineral deposits that are left on the hair by a relaxer or any type of hard water situation.

2.) More breakage of disulfide bonds. **
Because no lye relaxers are able to relax the hair straighter than lye relaxers, they are usually responsible for a greater degree of disulfide bond breakage within the hair shaft. Straighter hair equals more broken cortical bonds. This excessive straightening can contribute to a limp, stick straight, lifeless look to the hair.

3.) No-lye formulas can seem to take longer to actually process the hair. Because many people understand the classic "relaxer tingle" to be their rinsing point, no lye relaxers can give users a false sense of time or security. This apparently lengthier time for processing often encourages people to leave their no lye relaxers in the hair longer than they should or would ever be possible with a lye relaxer. This unfortunately leads to severe overprocessing and breakage.

4.) No lye relaxer mixes are only good for one application.
After no lye relaxers are mixed, they must be used within a day. Any leftover crème must be discarded. The active ingredient in most no-lyes, Guanidine hydroxide, is not stable for long after it has been created. So, the two chemicals that you need to create it (guanidine carbonate and calcium hydroxide) are kept separate until you combine them just before use. Your mixing activates the relaxer by creating the guanidine hydroxide you need. This mixture is good for about 24 hours. This is why no-lye relaxers (particularly guanidine hydroxide) are packaged to be mixed just before use.

The Good News about Lye Relaxers!
1.) Lye relaxers are generally easier on the hair.
They do not leave behind dulling deposits on the hair shaft, and therefore do not interfere with the hair's ability to absorb moisture. They are more likely to leave the hair with a softer, silkier result without further treatments.

2.) Low degree of disulfide bond breakage.
In general, lye relaxers do not straighten the hair as completely as no lye relaxers. This means that the level of disulfide bond breakage from lye relaxers is less than that of no-lye relaxers. Lye relaxers are more likely to leave a level of disulfide bond breakage that still allows the hair to maintain its natural strength and elasticity.

3.) Lye Relaxers process faster than no-lye relaxers. Because they are able to lift the cuticle layers more forcefully and breech layers of base quickly, these relaxers must be applied carefully and quickly to avoid damage to the hair fiber.

4.) More for the money, if you purchase and do them yourself. Lye relaxers are good for multiple applications since the chemicals remain stable for longer periods of time.

The Bad News!
1.) Unfortunately, lye relaxers are very hard on the scalp.
Because the pH of lye relaxers is so high, they are extremely corrosive and damaging to the scalp. The pH of lye relaxers can exceed 13 on 1-14 scale (Halal, 2002). This tendency to "burn" may be part of the reason why lye relaxers tend to underprocess the hair and have difficulty straightening.

2.) Lye relaxers lift and swell the hair cuticle more than no lye relaxers to achieve straightening increasing external damage to the fiber.
Again, the higher pH of lye relaxers makes them the more aggressive chemical. Lye relaxers are able to penetrate the hair shaft faster because of the excessive pH.

3.) Lye Relaxers process faster than no-lye relaxers, which often leads to faster scalp irritation and chemical burning.

4.) In general, lye relaxers do not straighten the hair as completely as no lye relaxers.
Disulfide bond breakage is reduced because the chemical's aggressiveness tends to put time constraints on the straightening process. However, while the bonds responsible for the curl/coil of the hair are left intact, other critical hair bonds are destroyed on the external layers of the hair.

I wouldn't recoment adding anything to relaxer personally especially since you don't know how that will affect the relaxer chemically. I also recommend using the ENTIRE line or system. I was in cosmetology school and one thing you learn is that you will acheive better results when you use the entire line.

As far as those who came out underprocessed, smoothing is probably key and if you have the correct strength. Also read my previous post regarding lye relaxers. They're not intended to get your hair as straight as no-lye relaxers so keep that in mind.

Back