Just Saw My Sister's Natural Hair Pics...

Chichi

Just Saw My Sister\'s Natural Hair Pics...

I am sooo happy that I am transitioning....
trampoline.gif
trampoline.gif
trampoline.gif

My decision was confirmed when my sister sent me some of her natural hair pics. We have the same hair type 2C; and it has been so hard for me to find a full head of natural 2C hair
wallbash.gif
so her pictures are really important for me.

She has transitioned for two years. Her hair is now fully natural. It was thick and fell past her shoulders. She is growing it out but doesn't take vitamins, use any special products, nor belong to any hair boards (sis is a real minimalist). She had previously relaxed but looking at her hair, she never needed a relaxer.

I tried to tell her about MSM
naughty.gif
but sis would not hear that. I also asked her if she ever flat ironed and she said no and doesn't plan to. She doesn't even use any natural hair products. She just uses water I think.

Anyway, I can't wait to see what my natural looks like with vitamins, the tips from this board, and natural hair products (can't wait to try the CB Healthy Hair Butter and Mimosa Hair Honey
smile.gif
).

All I know is that my brother will be visiting for Christmas and I will be keeping a close watch on his natural, shoulder length braids
sekret.gif

Chichi
bdance.gif

Re: Just Saw My Sister\'s Natural Hair Pics...

[ QUOTE ]
She has transitioned for two years. Her hair is now fully natural.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did she do this, Chichi? Did she trim her ends gradually over time until she got rid of all the relaxer?

[ QUOTE ]
Chichi said:
She just uses water I think.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does she use any hair care products?
Glad you're excited about your transition to natural hair.

I asked her this too...

She did not do a big chop. She said that she just grew her "relaxed ends off." She just treated the two textures with extra special TLC. She told me to be prepared to spend part of my Sunday washing and gently combing my hair
ohwell.gif

Now, mind you, her natural hair is past her shoulders. If she were ever to press or flat iron, it would probably reach brastrap. I think that I am going to get this girl a flat iron for Christmas
scratchchin.gif

Chichi
bdance.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
Chichi said:
She just uses water I think.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does she use any hair care products?
Glad you're excited about your transition to natural hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes, I am excited about transitioning; at least now I know what to look forward to. She uses shampoo and (I hope) conditioner. But she doesn't use finishing products like leave-ins or serums. She described making twists to me and all she said was that she sprays water on them. Now me, I would be probably have a serum, some leave-in, and some mango butter on my twists
laugh.gif
. But her hair is thriving though...

Chichi
bdance.gif

Where are the pictures? I want to be inspired by her hair too.

what do you mean that she uses only water? NO leave in at all? tips, tips, tips,...

[ QUOTE ]
Chichi said:
She told me to be prepared to spend part of my Sunday washing and gently combing my hair
ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Chichi - I mentioned this in another thread but on my BIG hair day which is usually Sundays, I am WIPED out when I'm finally done. I usually end up taking a 2 hour nap before I'm ready to do anything else. I'm used to it though and it's worth it.
I look to my mother and sister for ideas of what my hair will be like natural, too.

[ QUOTE ]
Teva said:
Where are the pictures? I want to be inspired by her hair too.

what do you mean that she uses only water? NO leave in at all? tips, tips, tips,...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that she wants me to post them on the Web. I had just asked her to send them to me because I couldn't find a natural form of my hair type on the web...

But if I could describe it, I would say that it is past shoulder length, and very thick. It wasn't in the shape of an afro which was kinda of a surprise for me. It just grew "southwards."

She doesn't use any finishing products at all. In fact, I was trying to talk her into some of the products that I found on LHCF but she wouldn't hear of it (she is the if it ain't broke don't fix type). I wish that I had more tips but she did say that the first year was the hardest for her. She said that I have to be very careful handling my hair during this crucial stage if I want to retain my length. Oh, and she wears protective styles alot too.

Chichi
bdance.gif

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
[ QUOTE ]
Chichi said:
She told me to be prepared to spend part of my Sunday washing and gently combing my hair
ohwell.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Chichi - I mentioned this in another thread but on my BIG hair day which is usually Sundays, I am WIPED out when I'm finally done. I usually end up taking a 2 hour nap before I'm ready to do anything else. I'm used to it though and it's worth it.
I look to my mother and sister for ideas of what my hair will be like natural, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hairlove, oh oh
nono.gif
...does this mean that we can't do as many conditioner washes? I do them 2x a week now with one regular shampoo wash.

Chichi
bdance.gif

Chichi,

I've modified my routine lately (past two weeks) and I shampoo wash (the works) once a week, conditioner wash once a week, and conditioner rinse twice a week. I've found my hair looks and feels better if it's getting some kind of water every other day.

When I shampoo wash or conditioner wash - my hair is completely down so I do have to deal with tangles. When I conditioner rinse, I leave my hair in a loose braid. I don't have much detangling to do with that. My hair really likes the moisture from the water and conditioners.

Still, it has taken me a LONG time to figure all of this out and I am still perfecting it. You'll just have to gradually figure out what works best for you.

Good luck.

I am so glad there is another transitioner!

Oh...forgot to mention timings for me.

Shampoo Days - if you see that thread that says "how you deep condition" and all of the steps. That's what I do. From start to finish, it takes me between 1 hour to 2 hours. (Depends on how long I let my deep conditioner sit, if I do at all.)

Conditioner Wash - from start to finish, probably about 1 hour max or maybe a little less.

Conditioner Rinse - 20 minutes. Takes about 5 minutes in the shower. Then another 10 to apply my leave-in and HHB. Then, I put my scarf on for about 5 minutes.

HTH

Thanks Hairlove. I was thinking that it would take me like 3 hours+ on a Sunday. I think that it gets easier once the transitioning is over.

Chichi
bdance.gif

Chichi, I am SO SURE it HAS to get easier once the transitioning is done. My natural hair has so much more elasticity than my relaxed hair! It will be a lot easier detangling - at least, I think so and hope so! I try not to think about it too much b/c I have a long way to go...at least another 1.5 years.

Back