Just In-Natural Rollerset on wet hair-->pics inside

kblc06

I really have gotten a lot better at doing these things :grin:. My mom recently told me that she used to do them on my hair when I was previously natural to help retain the moisture and length of my hair (mind you my hair was tailbone length before I had a perm-I've only grown 2-3 inches since, so my hair at this length would currently be below my waist). This should also help limit the amount of manipulation (reduces combing to every 1-2 weeks). Since many of the other hair practices she did when I was younger (i.e. Egg & mayo conditioning, Ion shampoo & conditioners, sealing w/ olive oil and water) work extremely well on my hair now, I figured I might give it a shot from now to December to see if I retain anything.

Here's a few pics of the set today:

http://public.fotki.com/kblc06/new-hair-year-jan-2/puffs--fro-pics-sep/

That's an awesome set!!!
I could never get my hair set that tight. Did you use setting lotion? It actually looks relaxed! I set my hair on big rollers. Maybe I need to try smaller rollers for when I dont' want to flat-iron it. Great Job!

Right thats it....i'm gonna go buy some rollers.:driver:

kblc06, they have come out looking really good.

My Mum has been telling me the same thing for months and i refused to do it thinking it would look terrible. SORRY MUMMY.

Very pretty, I love the curls! How did you wear it afterwards?
Maaaaan, this is pushing me closer to natural...

That's an awesome set!!!
I could never get my hair set that tight. Did you use setting lotion? It actually looks relaxed! I set my hair on big rollers. Maybe I need to try smaller rollers for when I dont' want to flat-iron it. Great Job!

I typically rollerset for the curls. Instead of setting lotion, I used cantu shea butter leave-in, garnier fructis soft cream curl, and garnier super stiff styling gel for hold (it gives it a soft, but firm flexible set). I may have used a dab of curl activator gel for this set but I'm not sure-I've used it in the past when I didn't want to straighten afterwards and it turned out fine.

I also definitely recommend using medium sized rollers (no larger than 1.5 inches). Although my hair is getting longer (close to bsl), I find that when I use the larger rollers, my sets are no where near as smooth as when I use smaller ones.

eta: Bre-bre (it feels so weird to call someone by my nickname), I don't exactly know how or if you could type my hair. Some parts are very loose s waves (2c) and around my hair line is rather nappy (probably 4a) :grin:. It behaves a lot like Lynnies hair but can look like Cichelle's, depending on what leave-ins I use. But my mom's hair (looks almost exactly like Tffy's2004) can do rollersets beautifully too and I thinks she's mostly 4a with maybe some 3c and 4b

Last edited:
Your rollerset looks very nice and straight too. I'm looking forward to doing a rollerset after I come out of the wig challenge.

Last edited:
Also, I was wondering, what sort of things should I do to help preserve my rollersets? I thought pin-curling looked interesting, but I'm not to so sure about how to do them. Does anyone know of someone with an album link or tutorial on how to do them? :grin:

Awesome!!!!!!!! I love it!!!! I have those same pink rollers, and I can't wait to start using them again!

Your rollerset is amazing! You have given me hope.

(I WILL learn to rollerset ... I WILL learn to rollerset ... I WILL learn to rollerset ...)

WOW!!! I'm so mad I never tried a rollerset when I was natural, the thought never even occurred to me :perplexed that looks awesome.

Seriously, your hair is blinging in those pics!
This is like the 3rd natural rollerset Im seeing and Im thinking about doing it.
Did you airdry?

ETA-You have lovely eyes. And I was going to get those rollers but thought only magnetic would do the trick....

Last edited:
Seriously, your hair is blinging in those pics!
This is like the 3rd natural rollerset Im seeing and Im thinking about doing it.
Did you airdry?

ETA-You have lovely eyes. And I was going to get those rollers but thought only magnetic would do the trick....

Aww thanks. I blowdried for about 5-10 minutes on warm/cool setting and airdried overnight. I typically airdry over night for all of my rollersets, but the longer my hair gets the longer it takes to dry :ohwell:

Aww thanks. I blowdried for about 5-10 minutes on warm/cool setting and airdried overnight. I typically airdry over night for all of my rollersets, but the longer my hair gets the longer it takes to dry :ohwell:

Thanks! I'm going to try it soon.....very soon. I hope I get results at least a bit close to yours.

girl.. you got some pretty hair on that head!! Your puff ball in your album was too cute! your rollerset is beautiful.

A beautiful set! I'm getting inspired! I was always unsure about how my natural hair would come out in a wet set..I'm going to have to experiment very soon!

Back