Just For Me Relaxers...On Adult Hair (Ye or Nay?)

Preti Gyal

Okay for starters I am still relatively a newbie, so if this topic has already been addressed please feel free to direct a sista to the thread. I tried doing a search but to no avail, I found nothing. I have been using Just for Me relaxers for about 2 years now and my hair absolutely loves them! I have been a member of other hair boards and I have heard that most "kiddie" relaxers do not promote healthy growth on adult hair. I beg to differ...Since joining and previously lurking LHCF I have tried a few other relaxers just to see if my hair would like them.

-ORS (my hair felt weird, stringy, and coated)
-Motions (waaaaay to harsh, hair felt stripped!:mad: )
-Silk Elements (my hair laughed at it after 2 weeks)

I loooove J4M Relaxers because my hair feels soooo moisturized and conditioned after using it, especially since its NO LYE. I get amazing shine, absolutely no burning:eek: , and I can stretch as long as 12 weeks with little to no problems.

I just want to get the opinions of ladies who have used J4M and what their results were. Feel free to chime in if you've gotten results from any other kiddie relaxers or if you have an opinion as to why you prefer not to use them as well.

if JFM relaxer is working for you then continue to use it

if it's not broke don't fix it

FYI, kiddie relaxers and adult relaxers are the same strength, the only difference is the pictures on the box

Yea, I hadn't relaxed in 2 years, I was supposed to be transitioning again. My last two relaxers were both Just for me, the first one was on virgin hair August 2003 which gave me burns all over my head. You think one would learn their lesson. Decided never to touch another relaxer again. In May 2005 I wanted to look "More adult" and wear my hair out, so I decided to go and get Just for Me again. Went to a dominican salon, she did it, can't remember the process, I don't remember being burned but it was so long ago. I just remember she was wrapping my hair, and I saw on the left side it was a very thin patch, so needless to say I never went back, and I will never put another relaxer back in my head.

It's to my understanding that a relaxer is a relaxer. I thought they were all the same. If it works for you, then keep using it. No sense in trying to fix something that isn't broke.

destiny616 said:
if JFM relaxer is working for you then continue to use it

if it's not broke don't fix it

FYI, kiddie relaxers and adult relaxers are the same strength, the only difference is the pictures on the box

Yep...what she said.

I used J4M before I decided to become natural. My signature picture is a J4M touchup (that's an old pic, November 2005). Never had any problems with it and it never burned. It always left my hair very straight but I think I read on this board that it has a pH of 14, not sure though.

imstush said:
Yea, I hadn't relaxed in 2 years, I was supposed to be transitioning again. My last two relaxers were both Just for me, the first one was on virgin hair August 2003 which gave me burns all over my head. You think one would learn their lesson. Decided never to touch another relaxer again. In May 2005 I wanted to look "More adult" and wear my hair out, so I decided to go and get Just for Me again. Went to a dominican salon, she did it, can't remember the process, I don't remember being burned but it was so long ago. I just remember she was wrapping my hair, and I saw on the left side it was a very thin patch, so needless to say I never went back, and I will never put another relaxer back in my head.

used it for several years, no matter how few seconds I left it in, my hair still got over processed r, left my hair feeling like feathers:ohwell: :perplexed :perplexed

Back