Just 2 Questions...

TastesLikeMusic

so, i'm new to this whole "taking care of my hair" deal.
i was wondering:

1) what are some good pre-shampoo treatments that i can try? i'd like to try it sometime, i'd appreciate any of your suggestions!

2) seamless combs? what are they? how do i distinguish them from any old comb? i've seen the name 'seamless comb' a lot in the past few days, but i still have no idea what it is.

thanks to anyone who can help. much appreciated!

wink.gif

...*Lekyta

1. I mix honey, castor oil and coconut oil for pre-poos. Alot of people use straight olive oil, or olive oil and honey. There are others as well. You can also use the VO5 tubes. Expensive, but very good.

2. Seamless combs don't have that "line" down the teeth where the two sides of the mold met making your comb. They are much gentler on the hair and can be had at http://www.tenderheaded.com , among other places.

Hi Lekyta,

I can't answer you about the seamless combs since I've never tried one. But as far as pre-shampoo treatments I can help.

You can just use a plain oil by itself like olive, coconut, sweet almond, avocado, sesame, safflower, or jojoba.

You can also mix any of them together that you like. I like a combination of olive oil, coconut and honey because I always have those on hand. The other oils I buy intermittently.

Since the oils can be a little runny and sticky, adding a conditioner to the mixture can suspend more of the oil and help it attach to the hair strands, as well as soften the hair in the process. When I add conditioner, I like to use a cheap conditioner like Suave, Herbal Essence, or V05. Thanks to Anky, I have a huge gallon of Honey Almond Conditoner from Sally's Beauty Supply. I can use that for all kind of kitchen beautician experiments and not feel bad.

The ratio of oils to honey to conditioner depends on you - the more conditioner you add the thicker it will be. If you buy an applicator bottle from the BSS, it makes it easier to measure and also easier to apply. I try to use equal parts of everything, so in an 8oz applicator bottle, I would have 2 oz olive oil, 2 oz. coconut oil, 2 oz. honey, and 2 oz. of conditioner. That's still a very liquid mix, but it's thicker than the just the oil alone.

Using the applicator bottle allows me to get it all over, especially at the newgrowth. Then I cover it with a plastic cap and wrap a towel around my head to catch the runoff. I leave it on anywhere from 30 minutes to overnight.

HTH
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

2. Seamless combs don't have that "line" down the teeth where the two sides of the mold met making your comb. They are much gentler on the hair and can be had at http://www.tenderheaded.com , among other places.

[/ QUOTE ]

aaahh!! ok. i see now! i looked on that website and saw a comb similar to one my mother has. i compared it to another comb we have in the house and noticed that one of them didn't have that 'line' -- good thing, i don't have to go out and buy one now! haha. thanks again
smile.gif

I've never used a seamless comb so i dont know..

but my prepoo treatment is Suave Milk and Honey conditioner (i put evoo in it) and any oil (coconut, jojoba, etc) for at least 30 minutes covered with a shower cap. it works and smells great!

Yup a cheap conditioner mixed with a carrier oil works great! Basically, anything moisturizing for your hair that'll allow your shampoo to wash IT away instead of your natural oils works fine, too.

In addition to what everyone else said about the seamless combs, I just want to elaborate. With seamless combs, they don't have a line down the teeth of the comb which can promote snagging and breakage. You can invest in a Bone Comb. They are a bit pricey just for combs, but they last a long time (as long as you don't break 'em) and in the long run it's much healthier for your hair.

heres another great one I recently tried:
conditioner(i used humectress) mixed with EVOO, coconut milk, and honey. My hair came out baby soft when it dried.

Back