July 2016: Hits & Misses

@rileypak only Bekura quinoa has worked on my hair and even then I have to be careful. Rice protein has only been kind to me when not mixed with heavy amounts of animal protein.

Bekura's quinoa is the first one that made my hair straw :eek:
After that, I tried a moisturizer and I think a butter or shampoo that had quinoa in them and the results were the same. For me, if quinoa is solo or the main protein, it's a big fat no for me.

I've had much more luck with quinoa in Claudie's conditioner formulations than any other products. Although I didn't know two of my favorites by her had quinoa in them until recently. Though both treatments have keratin and collagen (or keratin and silk) higher up the ingredient list in them so they're probably offsetting the quinoa by a lot.

@NaturallyATLPCH
You're right. :yep:

Maybe Oat/Oatstraw doesn't bother me.:look: It was Too Shea but I'm currently using Aloeba.

It might just be the formulation. That's so weird. I cannot use avocado oil high on the list in conditioner (too smoothing and tangles galore) but in a leave in, if it's not too high on the list (I check) or is used to dilute a heavier oil or butter, it still smooths, but not as bad, actually making it good. That's why NurCreations will sit in my fridge for a while.

Someone recently "Missed" Design Essentials Avocado leave-in. Many thanks from my hair. I've stared at it many times and between the avocado and glycerin I was very undecided. Glad I didn't buy. Someone would have lost their nutz. :bat:

Coconut is just a big ole bust. I gave up.

It might just be the formulation. That's so weird. I cannot use avocado oil high on the list in conditioner (too smoothing and tangles galore) but in a leave in, if it's not too high on the list (I check) or is used to dilute a heavier oil or butter, it still smooths, but not as bad, actually making it good. That's why NurCreations will sit in my fridge for a while.

Someone recently "Missed" Design Essentials Avocado leave-in. Many thanks from my hair. I've stared at it many times and between the avocado and glycerin I was very undecided. Glad I didn't buy. Someone would have lost their nutz. :bat:

Coconut is just a big ole bust. I gave up.
I know I "missed" the Design Essentials Almond and Avocado conditioner...super hard hair smh...

Hit: Nexxus Emergencee Reconstructor - my stylist recommended this to me because I was having some breakage, and it instantly restored the elasticity to my hair. No more limp curls! I think I'll be using this once a month as my protein treatment, because it's pretty hard (your hair will get stiff when you put it on) but not as harsh and drying as the AphoGee 2 Step Treatment. Although my hair is low porosity, it seems to like proteins.

Another protein hit: AphoGee Keratin and Green Tea restructurizer - this works amazing as a leave in before styling especially with heat ( I just did a braid out on blow dried hair, and got significantly less breakage.) I believe it also has heat protecting properties

Hit: The Mane Choice Edge Control - I'm not a huge edge control person, but I like this one a lot. It gives decent hold, smells AMAZING, and most importantly, does not leave buildup or turn white. I use this in conjunction to the super protein Eco Styler gel to slick my hair up for puffs

Hit: Luster Pink Castor Oil - it kinda sucks that this comes only in a 2 oz bottle, because this is a great oil to seal with! It also gives a nice sheen to the hair and isn't too greasy

Well @Saludable84 @AgeinATL So I used the SM Sacha Inchi Oil Masque today with heat for 40 minutes and I love it! It has great slip and my hair actually felt mouisturised after rinsing and I'm air drying now. Thanks ladies for reccomending it :circle: Ya'll know the struggle can be real with our hair, so glad I finally found a SM DC that works well for me.

Other Hits

NG Jamaica Me Crazy Cleanser- Very gentle and cleanses well. Hair felt soft afterwards.

NG Coconut Banana Pre-Poo Treatment- Works very well at softening and aiding in detangling tangles/knots. Thanks @IDareT'sHair for your review :kiss:

Brocato Cloud 9 Miracle Repair Treatment- I've been using this on my relaxed ends as a light protein treatment and it works well in strengthening the hair without it feeling hard, so I love it.

Wetline Gel- So far so good with this gel. It lays my hair down and as of right now, it plays well with SSI Coco Cream Leave in.

Continued Hits
Clay Washing- Lately I've only been using cleansing conditioners and Rhassoul Clay to wash my hair, and it's been working well for me.

It might just be the formulation. That's so weird. I cannot use avocado oil high on the list in conditioner (too smoothing and tangles galore) but in a leave in, if it's not too high on the list (I check) or is used to dilute a heavier oil or butter, it still smooths, but not as bad, actually making it good.

@Saludable84
You make a really good point here regarding the formulation and ingredient placement.

@Saludable84
You make a really good point here regarding the formulation and ingredient placement.

I have an oil mix at home with a 4:1 ratio of castor:avocado oil. Works great. SD Wheat Germ has avocado oil mixed with a heavy butter and it works great. SD Avocado Pudding used to be great until I got more texture. Disaster. Avocado on my hair as a pre-poo? Disaster city.

-Using Herbal Essences Honey I'm Strong Conditioner as a leave-in under eco-styler gel...no white residue and the conditioner gives my hair lots of slip.
-Beautifully Bamboo tea and beautifully bamboo supplements. With these two products it really does feel like my hair is making fast progress. My nails are growing really fast too. I just got a gel manicure a week ago and I can already see my nails have grown out.

Hit
APB Bamboo spray
My aphogee Keratin leave in isn't playing well with my natural hair. This is. I use it as the L in LOC after washing and DC.

Jakeala Silky castor oil - I was afraid that this was going to be a disaster because of the coconut oil but I am glad I took a chance. I guess the mixture of oils balances it all out. My hair absorbs it and the shine... so pretty.

Continue hit
APB Capauca lotion - hair still loves it. I will stock up next sale.

Miss -ish
APB Ultra Moisturizing Conditioner - Goes on feeling great but upon the rinse out my hair feels dry.

@bajandoc86 I would like to know your regimen. as of now ive been wearing wigs just so i didnt have to deal with my hair. i am now considering to try to wear the wigs and grow out my real hair. I cannot get past the APL hump and have thickness so far in my journey and maybe i can with wigs.

Sorry for the late reply!

My regimen is as follows...

1x every 6 weeks:
I take down my cornrows and finger detangle using sweet almond oil or vatika oil. I use the harp string method that I referenced in the APL thread.

Separate my hair into 6-7 sections
Cowash with a cleansing conditioner or moisture DC and do a final detangle with my detangling brush with the conditioner in.

Apply diluted shampoo to my scalp only and give my scalp a good scrub. Allow the suds to clean the length of my hair.

Rinse and then apply do a protein DC followed by a moisture DC, both with heat for 1/2 hr.

Rinse with cool water.

Apply a light leave in and blow dry on warm/high, followed by a cool shot. I blow dry in the same 6-7 sections using the method that reniece has demonstrated (she has a video on youtube showig how). Then I apply some sweet almond oil to my scalp and a little bit to my hair.

Then I get my hair cornrowed again.

Tips she has given me:
make sure you always have clean parts and avoid overlapping hair, that way the combs/brushes you use don't get caught on hairs and break them.

Dust my ends once every 3 months (that's when I see her) to stay ahead of splits etc.

Handle your hair with intention and purpose.

Be patient.

1x every 2 weeks with my cornrows in I:
Cowash
Apply diluted shampoo to my parts only.
Moisture DC with heat for 1/2 hr
Rinse
Apply Leave In
Air dry

Other things I do:
GHE 1x per week with Njoy's growth oil/pomade on my scalp
Apply Leave-In and hair cream/moisturiser 1x 2-3 days.
Wear wigs/keep my hair covered 99% of the time - this is mainly due to convenience because of my job (I am an anaesthesiology resident and I live in scrub caps, so my head stays covered all the time).
Also most wigs I wear don't require blending, because I haven't learned how to do it yet to make it look reaaally natural, and two, I like bangs.
Try to drink at least 1.5 Litres of water per day.

I hope this helps.

I plan to wear my hair out more when residency is over. I have 18 months to go. Hopefully I am MBL by then. Lol!

@flyygirlll2
YASSS!!! Welcome to the fold girl!! I'm so glad it worked for you!!

@NaturallyATLPCH have you tried the Sacha mask yet? :poke"

@AgeinATL ,Being that Ultra KEEPS having these dang sales, I might be forced to get it. It's the only SM thing missing in my stash lol...

I am wearing box braids, but that hasn't stopped me from purchasing in the past. It won't be in my head, but it must make it to the stash to wait for me. :spinning:

At least with it being in my possession, I won't be left out :drunk:.

I might be forced to get it. It's the only SM thing missing in my stash lol...but that hasn't stopped me from purchasing in the past. It won't be in my head, but it must make it to the stash to wait for me. :spinning: At least with it being in my possession, I won't be left out :drunk:.
@NaturallyATLPCH
"The Confessions of a True Product Junkie":giggle:

Spoken like a seasoned PJ*

Back