Japanese Thermal Reconditioning

LANYCLADY

Has anyone tried this?

I have very lightly texturized 4a/4b hair and I have scheduled a consultation. I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with this.

Thanks.

From the information that I have read on the internet. For Thermal reconditioning, they use thio and put it on the hair then dry it and flat iron. After the flat ironing, they neutralize it to set in the texture.

If I was use I would use caution especially if you are texturizing with a hydroxide based relaxer or texturizer. THey do not match at all. the hair will fall out on the spot.

Plus, if it is done sucessfully, they hair will not have any body at all. It will just lay their flat and straight.

I hope this helps

Hmmm... Piggybacking what Sha said, I was told that anyone w/a perm or relaxer prior to would not be a good candidate for this. I don't know, but it's a good thing your getting a consultation first.

Is there a reason why you are choosing this treatment over a good 'ol relaxer?

Here are a couple of links to articles about this service. My GF had it done but she is Columbian with type 2 curly hair.

Also, Thio is the chemical in a Jheri Curl perm the difference is that after they put rods in to get the curl.

I don't know if this process is meant for AA hair types.The use of the flat iron during the process would make me nervous. I know it cost about $600-$700 for the service. But my question to you would be what are you going to do with your new growth until you can get it redone in 6 months?

My GF blows her roots every day to maintain the straight look. But the difference between her new growth and the old growth isn't as radical as yours is going to be as a 4.

Good luck and proceed with caution. Since this is so expensive I would be careful because sometimes with this much money on the line a beautician will do anything to make the sale.
smile.gif

http://www.lamasbeauty.com/beauty/july02/Thermal_Reconditioning.htm

http://www.citycut.us/thermal-reconditioning.htm

http://www.citycut.us/thermal-reconditioning-Q&A.htm

hm? this sounds like the thermal straightening system, is it? 'cause I saw a website before (somewhere last year) and it said that african american women should not try it because our hair texture wouldn't be able to stand the heat. I don't know if you mean this system though.

Thanks for all of the responses. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone else who has experience (direct or indirect) with the process. The stylist that I am going to in Northridge, CA has done several AA heads. So, during my consultation, I will be grilling him on the long term effects on his other clients, maintenance, etc.

Dolce Dawn, I am considering this rather than a conventional relaxer because I've spent about twenty years with relaxers, and no matter what the situation/stylist/ etc., my hair doesn't thrive with a conventional relaxer. Since conventional relaxers basically dissolve the outer layer of the hair shaft, my hair (the individual strands are very fine, but I've got a lot of stands) gets broken down too easily and ends up damaged, frizzy, etc. I'm considering the Japanese straightener because the chemical used is less caustic than a conventional relaxer. And, the results that I have seen have been much silkier than most relaxers.

Falon, I agree. The flat irons make me nervous also. However, I am going to have a strand test done and wait a while to see how it goes for a couple of weeks. I expect to do the same things with my new growth that I do now, a very light press and flat iron. But, I have to make sure that this will not cause damage.

I have heard that this is absolutely NOT recommended for our hair. It's supposed to be potentially more damaging than a traditional relaxer for us. I've had a few friends try and get it done and the salons they went to refused to do it because the risk of their hair falling out or extreme breakage was too high.
I think I saw that you're a texturized 4a/b, which is also supposed to increase the chances of potential damage since your hair has previously been chemically altered. If you proceed with doing it, I would treat my hair like a newborn baby and get a thorough consultation before getting it done.

Good luck with your decision!
smile.gif

this site says you shouldn't put ANYTHING in your hair the next three days after you had the process done. DAMN! what's up with that? be afraid..... be VERY afraid sista........
lachen70.gif

[ QUOTE ]
prettykitty said:
this site says you shouldn't put ANYTHING in your hair the next three days after you had the process done. DAMN! what's up with that? be afraid..... be VERY afraid sista........
lachen70.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The process is some serious business, girl.
smile.gif
I know that when people get curly perms, you aren't supposed to wash your hair for 48 hours or put products in it for 48 hours because it can cause the curls to come out. Maybe if you put something in the thermal straightening too soon, the process will revert and you'll be right back where you started from.
ohwell.gif

Wow, maybe I'll reconsider. My other option was Affirm Fiberguard, which supposedly doesn't break down the fiber of the hair shaft in the same way conventional relaxers do.

Thank you for all of the information:)

Please, please think twice about doing the thermal reconditioning. Aside from the high heat which kills our hair, thermal reconditioning uses thio, which clashes with hair relaxed with sodium hydroxide & will break your hair. Also, wasn't thio the main ingredient in Bodiphier?? I remember one or two ladies posting that they tried the Bodiphier and it dried their hair out to no end. Girl, go with Affirm fiberguard or something, but that thermal treatment sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

[ QUOTE ]
prettykitty said:
? but you would HAVE to put something in it to give it back its moisture after all the frying?

[/ QUOTE ]

You would want to condition it but I have heard that if you wash your hair too soon after the thermal reconditioning is done, it can cause further damage.
Personally, this method is too scary, in my opinion, for anyone's hair, regardless of texture. It's also not recommended to do any type of coloring to your hair, either, after this is done.

My sis has it and her hair looks really good. BUT she had completely virgin hair and her hair type is either a 2c or 3a.

IMO it looks just like any other relaxer, it's beautiful and everything, but she could have gotten the same results with a regular relaxer.

well, whatever you decide to do,make sure you know the postives and negatives to it. I think it's very risky to try this. Also, it is very expensive proces and the touch ups will be very expensive to. I know the adds say it stays straight for a good couple of months but your hair doesn't stop growing!so think about all the expensive touch ups you'll need.

(Again,I don't think this proces is suited for AA hair)

I have a friend with type 2 hair try it and she lost almost all of her hair.
ohwell.gif

My sense of this procedure is that it's not so safe.

I'm wondering if anyone with 4a/4b virgin hair has had it done and what it looks like.

I would like it only if it were totally wash and go. In other words, if you could wash your hair and not blowdry it and it dry completely straight.

no, it's not like that. It's like a relaxer cuz it leaves a bit of wave or curl unless you've been overprocessed.

That's why I think it's good to go with the regular relaxer. My sis is going to change back to one too.

[ QUOTE ]
prettykitty said:
well, whatever you decide to do,make sure you know the postives and negatives to it. I think it's very risky to try this. Also, it is very expensive proces and the touch ups will be very expensive to. I know the adds say it stays straight for a good couple of months but your hair doesn't stop growing!so think about all the expensive touch ups you'll need.

(Again,I don't think this proces is suited for AA hair)

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA! I heard this too.
smile.gif

Personally, I think that the Japanese thermal reconditioning not being good fot black hair is slightly misleading. There are a number of factors one needs to consider before having this process done.

1. Thermal Reconditioning actually does not straighten the hair, the way we expect a relaxer to straighten our hair. The purpose of reconditioning is to cut frizziness, not to take a curly hair completely straight. The curlier your hair is, the more damage you can expect from this system.

2. This process is not good for people who have had other curling or straightening chemicals in their hair. THis can even include hair color, as I have seen plenty of Japanese women whose hair came out jacked-up from this process.

3. To say that black hair is the weakest of any other hair is a slight generalization and slightly misleading. Just because hair is curly, does not necessarily mean it is weak. If you have natural hair that has 0% breakage, you may be a good candidate for this process; however, having the process done is not where you need to worry. It's the regrowth that should cause a concern and I think this is the number 1 reason why I would never recommend this process to anyone with super curly hair. Japanese Straight Perms are only meant to be done every 6 months. Unless you are able to take very good care of the new growth, I'd say this is where you will experience the most problems with breakage.

Back