Jamaican Black Castor Oil-Let the buyer beware

Renaylor

Marketing yourself well is a given in the beauty business and the hair industry is no different. Experience is its best teacher and I am going to share this with you ladies so your pocketbook does not get bled dry. About 15 yrs ago I frequented a high end salon which was into serious hair care, it nursed my hair back to health. On of the products sold was a dark oil in a clear bottle that retailed for ~18.00 for 2 oz (at that time).The oil was called Palma Christy. I being dumb and naive:eek:,yes it does happen-did not seek to find out where they obtained it although some of the other products in their salon I researched and found where to obtain them at lower prices. I left that salon 4 yrs ago to follow my stylist to another salon that was owned by one of his former coworkers.She sold the same oil for ~7.95 for 2 oz. a lot cheaper, yes but I still had no knowledge of where obtained. My stylist opened his own salon a year later and he did not sell the oil. My hair did so much better when I used that oil it was moisturized did not breakoff and my scalp was not as itchy. The quest for "the oil" began. I knew I could not ask my stylist, I kind of figure the code of honor my still exist so I began a vigorous internet search for palm christy oil also known as castor oil. However the one I saw was clear,refined oil not dark. I kept looking until I stumbled across the LHCF website and the thread about the Jamaican Black Castor Oil, I found the website sams247 and low and behold it looked exactly like my oil. My husband is from Jamaica and I inquired about the oil. He told me it was used for everything and used on the hair as well.I feverishly searched Korean markets and health food stores. I finally found it in a health food store in a Caribbean neighborhood. 4oz sold for $7.99. I went home and viola! that was the one. I did my math and figured out that both salons charged 2-4x as much as they should have. I know that is a business decision but come on..thats like ripping the money out of my wallet.
So...for those who may see that dark oil in the clear bottle-do not bother buy it from Sams247 or purchase it from a beauty supply store/Korean market/health food store. Your wallet will thank you---just my 2 cents:)

Renaylor said:
Marketing yourself well is a given in the beauty business and the hair industry is no different. Experience is its best teacher and I am going to share this with you ladies so your pocketbook does not get bled dry. About 15 yrs ago I frequented a high end salon which was into serious hair care, it nursed my hair back to health. On of the products sold was a dark oil in a clear bottle that retailed for ~18.00 for 2 oz (at that time).The oil was called Palma Christy. I being dumb and naive:eek:,yes it does happen-did not seek to find out where they obtained it although some of the other products in their salon I researched and found where to obtain them at lower prices. I left that salon 4 yrs ago to follow my stylist to another salon that was owned by one of his former coworkers.She sold the same oil for ~7.95 for 2 oz. a lot cheaper, yes but I still had no knowledge of where obtained. My stylist opened his own salon a year later and he did not sell the oil. My hair did so much better when I used that oil it was moisturized did not breakoff and my scalp was not as itchy. The quest for "the oil" began. I knew I could not ask my stylist, I kind of figure the code of honor my still exist so I began a vigorous internet search for palm christy oil also known as castor oil. However the one I saw was clear,refined oil not dark. I kept looking until I stumbled across the LHCF website and the thread about the Jamaican Black Castor Oil, I found the website sams247 and low and behold it looked exactly like my oil. My husband is from Jamaica and I inquired about the oil. He told me it was used for everything and used on the hair as well.I feverishly searched Korean markets and health food stores. I finally found it in a health food store in a Caribbean neighborhood. 4oz sold for $7.99. I went home and viola! that was the one. I did my math and figured out that both salons charged 2-4x as much as they should have. I know that is a business decision but come on..thats like ripping the money out of my wallet.
So...for those who may see that dark oil in the clear bottle-do not bother buy it from Sams247 or purchase it from a beauty supply store/Korean market/health food store. Your wallet will thank you---just my 2 cents:)

Thanks for the story. Unfortunately, it's very hard to find the oil so I have to order it from Sams2407. But it last long so it will have to do for now until I'm able to pound the pavement to find some cheaper. Thanks anyway.

I bought palma christi from michelinedeparis.com for $9 for 3.4oz. It has castor oil, carapate oil, sunflower oil and rosemary extract in it and has helped with my hair. Black castor oil has been a little more difficult to find. I did get some at a store in downtown Brooklyn a long time ago but they closed. There's another store a BSS employee told be about, but they never seem to have it. I'll check again and let you know if I find it.

Thanxs for the heads up. I was gonna purchase it awhile back online but the price was too high for me. I eventually found it right down 52nd st. at a carribean market, I still thought the price was a bit much for such a small bottle. But now I think about it $6 bucks is not bad if it gives excellent results. How are you actually using the Black Cator Oil/Cristy oil?

BeautifulWideEyes said:
Thanxs for the heads up. I was gonna purchase it awhile back online but the price was too high for me. I eventually found it right down 52nd st. at a carribean market, I still thought the price was a bit much for such a small bottle. But now I think about it $6 bucks is not bad if it gives excellent results. How are you actually using the Black Cator Oil/Cristy oil?

I divided the black castor oil into two bottles. One bottle I used the basic recipe from the other forum (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=61413) and added sulfur, coconut oil, rosemary eo and olive oil. That one I put on my scalp and comb through to the ends. At night I spritz my hair with a mixture of water, glycerin, olive oil, rosemary eo and sage eo, and use the plain castor oil to seal in the moisture, especially at the ends and put on a plastic cap and a scarf. I massage in the palma christi oil from michelinedeparis.com at my temples and nape twice a day every other day when I CO wash. My hair is 4a natural.

Did you mean 52nd Street in NY? Do they still have it?

Thanks. I'm talking about 52nd street in philly.
BK Bombshell said:
I divided the black castor oil into two bottles. One bottle I used the basic recipe from the other forum (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=61413) and added sulfur, coconut oil, rosemary eo and olive oil. That one I put on my scalp and comb through to the ends. At night I spritz my hair with a mixture of water, glycerin, olive oil, rosemary eo and sage eo, and use the plain castor oil to seal in the moisture, especially at the ends and put on a plastic cap and a scarf. I massage in the palma christi oil from michelinedeparis.com at my temples and nape twice a day every other day when I CO wash. My hair is 4a natural.

Did you mean 52nd Street in NY? Do they still have it?

BK Bombshell said:
I bought palma christi from michelinedeparis.com for $9 for 3.4oz. It has castor oil, carapate oil, sunflower oil and rosemary extract in it and has helped with my hair. Black castor oil has been a little more difficult to find. I did get some at a store in downtown Brooklyn a long time ago but they closed. There's another store a BSS employee told be about, but they never seem to have it. I'll check again and let you know if I find it.

Is this oil you are refering to a dark brown or close t black color or is it a clear color?

It is very hard to find. I haven't found it in any health care stores in the DC area. I never thought to look in the Korean stores.

Back