It's safe to get your hair done in the country!

Tracy

It\'s safe to get your hair done in the country!

So...I finally had to breakdown and get my hair done. I was getting too much breakage for my tastes and with the color damage AND all the different textures going on it was getting to be a mess.

The lady I wanted to go to was all booked up, and since the car was free and the boy was in the mood to take me, I did the unthinkable....I made a same day appointment with a Hair Cuttery in the black area of town and said a prayer.

When I got there she was ready right away. She based me completely with Arosci's basing product. Then she used Arosci Mild. She applied the relaxer painstakingly to my new growth (we're talking NO overlapping here. None.) and just as it was beginning to tingle she rinsed it out. She smoothed it some, but only with her fingers.

The rinse out is what shocked me the most. She rinsed. And rinsed. And RINSED. My head was in the sink for ten minutes and all she used was water. Then she put a "normalizer" on my hair and left it (no cap, no heat) to bring the PH down, and after 5 minutes she rinsed again. Then she neutralized twice and applied the Arosci moisturizing conditioner, and left it on, with heat, for 15 minutes. Then she applied Biolage Leave In Tonic and rollerset me.

My hair looks GREAT. Not QUITE a Dom. blowout, but my hair will stay healthy and continue growing going to this woman , and that's all I want.
smile.gif

A wonderful upside? She gave new meaning to the words southern hospitality. She offered me something to drink, was cordial and pleasant the whole time, and she answered all of my questions. She was really gentle with my hair, and understood my attachment to my hair without once sounding weird or dismissive about it.

The cost was more than I'm used to ($47 for the relaxer, $10 extra for "long hair"
smirk.gif
and $7 for the deep conditioner. The total came to $62.

I tipped her 8 bucks so all in all I paid $70. It was worth it though, since I only have to go once every 2 months and I KNOW I'll be getting good service and someone who knows what they're doing.

She was so pleasant, and so gentle with my hair. She and all the other stylists were really impressed with the length and how healthy it was and told me to keep doing whatever I'm doing. They also grilled me for tips
laugh.gif
and told me I knew enough about hair to be a hairdresser myself.
grin.gif
I will definitely be back in 8 weeks.
smile.gif

Her name was Dorenda and she's at the Hair Cuttery in Eastway Crossings.
smile.gif

P.S. I couldn't help it. I also picked up a bottle of Arosci Intervying Leave In because of all the raves here.
smile.gif
She said it was a great product.

Re: It\'s safe to get your hair done in the countr

Thats good Tracy!
When I decide to leave NY one day one of my main concerns is finding a good hairdresser.

Re: It\'s safe to get your hair done in the countr

That's great, Tracy! I'm glad she took care of you, 'cause I know one wrong move can send your hair into a tailspin!

Re: It\'s safe to get your hair done in the country!

Tracy, I'm glad it's safe to get your hair done in the country.
laugh.gif
It's good to know it worked out well for you. Her and my stylist must be related (with all the rinsing), but this IS a very good thing indeed.
smile.gif

I thought about you too, Allandra, because she said she prefers to use Design Essentials, but The Hair Cuttery only uses Mizani and Arosci....

I thought: She sounds like Allandra's stylist!
smile.gif
Little did I know...
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
I thought about you too, Allandra, because she said she prefers to use Design Essentials, but The Hair Cuttery only uses Mizani and Arosci....

I thought: She sounds like Allandra's stylist!
smile.gif
Little did I know...
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
She sounds great.
up.gif

Re: It\'s safe to get your hair done in the country

That's awesome Tracy!

There is nothing in the world like a GOOD salon experience.
smile.gif

Tracy, one of my sister-in-laws works at a Hair Cuttery. So, of course she uses Arosci products. When a former hair stylist of mine (from way back when) worked at a Hair Cuttery, she would use Arosci relaxer for my touch-ups. A lot of people seem to like this line.

Glad you had a great experience Tracy. I'm sure your hair looked beautiful when she finished. It's so hard to find a competent, pleasant hair dresser these days.

BTW - I'm confused
confused.gif
. You said she had southern hospitality, but your location says you're in Barbados.

I'm glad it worked out, Tracy. That Arosci leave-in smells soooo good!
lick.gif

Glad you had a nice experience! I bet it great to see/feel that she knew what she was doing. Nothing like feeling the person doesn't know what they're doing!

[ QUOTE ]
Crysdon said:
Glad you had a great experience Tracy. I'm sure your hair looked beautiful when she finished. It's so hard to find a competent, pleasant hair dresser these days.

BTW - I'm confused
confused.gif
. You said she had southern hospitality, but your location says you're in Barbados.

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
No I'm in North Carolina, Crys. I just use the flags to honor my heritage - Bajan and Dominican. I know they actually stand for something in particular, but I'm just doin' my own thing.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
[ QUOTE ]
Crysdon said:

BTW - I'm confused
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
No I'm in North Carolina, Crys. I just use the flags to honor my heritage - Bajan and Dominican. I know they actually stand for something in particular, but I'm just doin' my own thing.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, silly me thought you moved there.
blush.gif
I got it now.
laugh.gif

dance7.gif
Yes!!! After all of the crazy stylist stories I have been reading the past few weeks, this was a breath of fresh air. There are good stylists out there still!
smile.gif
I am glad that you had a good experience, Tracy!

I'm glad things turned out well.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
I'm glad things turned out well.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

me too
smile.gif

Im definitely going to need a good stylist when I get some length to my hair and decide to straighten it..ah well thats another three years doen the line anyway
laugh.gif

This lady sounds like a keep. Wow. I am impressed with her ethics. I am pleased that you had a great experience. Would you take pictures next time.

Isn't it great how an experience like that can have you floating on air....somebody who knows what they're doing and then acknowledges that you do too. You Go Tracy!!
clap.gif

wow Tracy, Im so happy for ya! Its funny how sometimes we just come upon the best stylist by chance. I too found a great stylist,who is dominican bc I was searching for Salerm 21 and the company told me that salon sold it. When I went in I talked to them and felt comfortable so I went there for my next relaxer, which turned out great. I will be a regular there for sure!

I'm glad you had a good experience! Where's the pics?
laugh.gif

I'm glad you hair is intact girlie! I know I if I ever return to Charlotte (I lived there for 1 day--long story)I have a salon to go to. Thanks for sharing!

daviine

kiss.gif

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I was really nervous about finding a salon and thought it would take a few visits and maybe even a setback or two before I found a decent one. But it worked out fine!
smile.gif

I'm sorry - I didn't take pics.
laugh.gif
Next time!
smile.gif

I'm glad things worked out. I'm considering getting my hair done at Trade Secret or Master Cuts this Thursday. Hope I have a similar experience.

Back