It WORKS! Ridding tangles from my daughter's hair

Re: It WORKS! Ridding tangles from my daughter\'s hair

I tried my tangle tamer this weekend after washing my hair and while conditioner was still in it, i proceeded to detangle my hair. This product works, but I think i was using too big sections to detangle. How big piece sections do you use to comb thru, 1/2 inch, 1 inch sections, etc. Do you comb thru the section starting at the ends and working your way up to the roots, or do you just allow the comb to glide through your hair. This was my first time, so perhaps I will get better as i go along. I found that with each section as i combed starting at the ends and working my way up, my hair started to expand at the ends which became so thick and difficult for the comb to go through. My hair is very similar to Nay's hair but Nay's hair is thick. My hair is fine, but i have so much volume. The process of detangling can be a nightmare, but i am still going to try using my tangle tamer but i will use smaller sections. I was impressed how it went through each section effortlessly, and there was no hair in the comb. It takes me forever to detangle my hair and i started getting impatient, and i went back to using my bone comb on the last few sections. I like the tangle tamer and any suggestions in your experience using it will be helpful. Thanks

Re: It WORKS! Ridding tangles from my daughter\'s h

I brought this product for my daughters hair and will be returning it as soon as I can.
mad.gif
It worked it's way through her hair, but when I try to comb it with a regular comb the comb could not make it through.
confused.gif
I did it on dry hair. I have been using the coconut milk and lime concoction on her hair for the last couple of hair washes, that works as long as it is in her hair, once rinsed out it is still hard to comb. The other night I tried some carrot oil and a little water in a spray bottle that worked better than all the other things I have done.
smile.gif
My daughter has very thick hair with a sort of fine texture to it.

Candi, I had a similar experience. The TT worked great going through my daughter's hair but once I went over it with a regular comb, we had trouble. I figured that maybe I did not work the TT through enough. My DD is only 19 months and the vibrating noise was scaring her so she did not let me continue for long.

But I do have to say that after using the TT for as long as she'd let me, her hair looked so fluffy and soft. Her afro looked like she had a blow out and my girl has a lot of hair too! Overall I liked what I saw but I will have to use this again. I am hoping my DD gets used to the vibrating sound and allows me to continue.

The comb arrived today. I rollerset my hair 06/18, but since then I have NOT combed it at all, and I have gone camping with my hair in 2 braids.

I took my bun down and combed my hair dry this morning. (Mind you, it was straighter than usual because the 1.5 week old rollerset was hanging on.) The truth is that this comb will work REALLY well for dry combouts before conditioner washes when my goal is to get the hair going in one direction so I can put it in 6-8 braids for the wash. Those vibrating teeth did just the trick.

It might work differently on wet hair OR on dry hair that was airdried (not rollerset). We shall see.

any updates on the tangle tamer? I'm seriously thinking of purchasing one.

Hey! This thing works! I got one at Walmart for $15. My hair was saturated with Tropical Carrot conditioner, though. I'm going to try it on dry hair later.

My only gripe is the noise factor.
ohwell.gif
The buzzing near my ears gives me the heebie jeebies.
crazy.gif

Sassygirl....that's noise is the same issue I had with my daughter. She is not even 2 yrs old yet so can you imagine the heebie jeebies
rofl.gif
she got when I used this thing. I am hoping that she eventually gets used to it.

A number of people sent me pm's asking about how the Tangle Tamer works on wet hair. I finally tried it yesterday, so I'll add this review now.

Note I: the widely-spaced teeth of the comb are flat with have serrated edges (like a car key, but thinner). They rotate 360 degrees.

Note II: When dry combing, it's important to make sure the ENDS are combed through FIRST and not coiled around each other. Then one can comb from the roots down to the ends without a snag. The ends need to be free to move as the comb travels downward. For damp ends, this was a non-issue.

I rinsed my rollerset straight hair in 4 braided sections (no products, just water), squeezed the extra water out of the braids with a towel, and waited ~15 minutes til my hair was just damp. Then I undid each braid and combed through with the Tangle Tamer. This was MUCH easier to do than with a regular comb, and I didn't break off as much hair as I generally expect to during week 7.

For each section,
1. I combed the bottom part of the relaxed length.
2. I then combed starting about an inch away from the new growth.
3. I have the least new growth in the front, so the TT got through it easily.
4. I tried to tackle the dense new growth in the back and nape of my head. I dug the revolving teeth into the hair right against the scalp, but it was tough going and the TT comb kept getting caught. The teeth were revolving without a hitch, but I had difficulty pulling the comb away from my head and through the length of the relaxed hair. (Remember, I'm 4a/b.)

In conclusion, I lost MUCH LESS HAIR than I usually do at week 7 post relaxer with a wide tooth Jilbere or Ace comb. It's the perfect tool for extending my touchups because it clears shed hair (that's detached but still hanging around) without ripping breaking off hair like tugging with a regular comb does. A little coconut oil or Biolage tonic might help lubricate that new growth. I'll try again next time.

[ QUOTE ]
GodMadeMePretty said:
This is what that link says:
[ QUOTE ]
Tangle Tamer is easier to use than a normal comb or brush, and guess what it's also good for making Afro's.

[/ QUOTE ]
lachen70.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Girl, I noticed that line too!

I'm glad the comb worked for all of you!

I definitely have to give this product a try. Since joining this board my natural hair has grown down past my breasts---a first for me. Since my hair can be prone to tangles I am hoping this product can help. We'll see. Wish me luck.
look.gif

Darn it! I just went to Sally's to look for this to help me comb my 5 months of new growth, and there was a cheap-looking plastic comb called Tangle Tamer but it's not electric at all, I may have bought the wrong thing?

Well, I jumped on the bandwagon and bought one after work, and I am super impressed. I hardly ever brush my roots, because I have an insane amount of newgrowth. Last night I shampooed w/ garlic and conditioned over night. Then I rinsed in the morning and wore it in a bun all day. I knew it was tangled at the roots, so I was thinking of breaking down and getting a touch up soon.

I found it at Walgreens for 12.99. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif this combed thru my new growth like a hot knife thru butter. I could actually put the comb to my scalp and feel it work thru all the knots. I ran into about 3 super tangled knots that I had to work thru with my fingers, but other than that it worked a miracle. I loosened a lot of shed hairs (yes they were shed because I examined them. I know I'm /images/graemlins/nuts.gif ) This is definatly a keeper and goes up there w/ NTM. It earned a spot on my bathroom counter. I might go back and get another one in case they stop making them or something.

Plus, it doesn't feel cheap like most infomercial products. It seems quite sturdy. I'm pleased. THANK YOU LADIES!!!

Yes Poohbear.

Good thanks dannie I think I'll give it a try.

I still use my Tangle Tamer every time I take my hair down from the bun or wash it at home. I lose much LESS hair than with a regular comb. It works through new growth without snagging.

My only complaint is that the power cord falls out of the comb easily due to the vibrations while I'm combing. The battery's charge doesn't last long enough to comb all my hair with the comb unplugged.

[ QUOTE ]
Faith said:
Yes Poohbear.

Good thanks dannie I think I'll give it a try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alrite, you have to let us know how it goes. I think you'll be pleased /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I will I have ths thread saved so I can post back later /images/graemlins/smile.gif

For all those who may be interested: the Tangle Tamer is now on sale for $9.99 at Walgreens.

Do you all think that this product is powerful enough to work on 12-15 inches of 4 a/b natural hair?

Ladies,

Damn I need to stop being a PJ, Anyway any brought this comb from the internet, Or do any UK ladies know where to buy it from.

You USA ladies are so spoiled you have everything(LOL)

kizzylonghair said:
Ladies,

Damn I need to stop being a PJ, Anyway any brought this comb from the internet, Or do any UK ladies know where to buy it from.

You USA ladies are so spoiled you have everything(LOL)

Did you check walgreens.com?

I was mad that I bought a fake one, but I did get the real one for Christmas and surprisingly it worked on my 2 different textures. The noise annoyed me though but I can deal with it for the sake of less tangled hair...

Blessed1
Good to hear you had success with it. What hair type are you? I see you are transitioning. How long did the machine stay charged while you used it?

Thanks

Back