It took a daggone week but I'm finally finished with my first set of yarn braids!

hey your yarn braids are to die for...i was thinking of doing them myself...soon. what color yarn did you use? also, the burning the tips..did it hurt? i remmebr back in the day tryin to burn the end of synthetic hair..nearly took my fingerprints off.

hey your yarn braids are to die for...i was thinking of doing them myself...soon. what color yarn did you use? also, the burning the tips..did it hurt? i remmebr back in the day tryin to burn the end of synthetic hair..nearly took my fingerprints off.

:lol: DH actually makes fun of me because my hands are so heat resistant (comes from years and years of cooking with po' folks hot pads:lol:) These weren't nearly as hot as the synthetic hair though.

What I did is a tied a slip knot onto the end of each braid then trimmed the excess, getting as close to the knot as possible.

Then I singed the knots and about 1/2 inch up the braid (don't hold the flame too long though or the yarn will change to a lighter color...learned that when I tried to do yarn crochet twists lol). By the time you roll it the yarn is already pretty cool since it doen't actually melt. I've seen some youtubers actually light the yarn on fire, but I don't because it makes the yarn turn color and it's not a good look IMO.

I used red heart super saver in coffee.:grin: I'm still on the hunt for a blonde looking color:look: I plan to add highlights later:yep:

:lol: DH actually makes fun of me because my hands are so heat resistant (comes from years and years of cooking with po' folks hot pads:lol:) These weren't nearly as hot as the synthetic hair though.

What I did is a tied a slip knot onto the end of each braid then trimmed the excess, getting as close to the knot as possible.

Then I singed the knots and about 1/2 inch up the braid (don't hold the flame too long though or the yarn will change to a lighter color...learned that when I tried to do yarn crochet twists lol). By the time you roll it the yarn is already pretty cool since it doen't actually melt. I've seen some youtubers actually light the yarn on fire, but I don't because it makes the yarn turn color and it's not a good look IMO.

I used red heart super saver in coffee.:grin: I'm still on the hunt for a blonde looking color:look: I plan to add highlights later:yep:

I'm pretty sure red heart super saver has a tannish color & a golden color. TLC also has a "butter" color, but I feel like the texture is different with the two brands. I'm going by memory, it's been awhile since I went into a Jo-Anns and lost my damn mind.

I wonder if you can do senegalese twists w/ yarn? :scratchch

I'm pretty sure red heart super saver has a tannish color & a golden color. TLC also has a "butter" color, but I feel like the texture is different with the two brands. I'm going by memory, it's been awhile since I went into a Jo-Anns and lost my damn mind.

I wonder if you can do senegalese twists w/ yarn? :scratchch

Yes you can and they look very nice:yep: I started a set but got lazy and quit 1/4 of the way through:lol:

Your yarn braids look really nice. You did a great job. I really liked them when I did them. I think next time I will do twists instead of braids, b/c they kinda look have a kinky twist look to them, plus I think the takedown process won't be as much of a beast.

kbragg, I love your braids. When I learned how to do them last year, it took me about 6-7 hours to do. Now when I do them, I start on one day and usually finish the next. I start with the front half and then pull the braids back so that they overlay the back half of my head that isn't done and put everything into a ponytail. This can hide the part that isn't done without putting on a scarf.

Question ladies. How do you do the yarn twists? I want to try twists instead of braids, but can't figure out how to keep the yarn from unraveling.

kbragg, I love your braids. When I learned how to do them last year, it took me about 6-7 hours to do. Now when I do them, I start on one day and usually finish the next. I start with the front half and then pull the braids back so that they overlay the back half of my head that isn't done and put everything into a ponytail. This can hide the part that isn't done without putting on a scarf.

Question ladies. How do you do the yarn twists? I want to try twists instead of braids, but can't figure out how to keep the yarn from unraveling.

I start mine of with a braid for 3-4 stitches and then do the "twist while twisting" method and knot and burn the ends. The unravel a tiny bit but stay locked for the most part. They are faster to take down too:yep:

i absolutely love those
i'm on! who...what....how!!!??? lol

is there a tutorial u drew from? I want install those asap

I used hers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZUUKpLOYVA Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkzj7Xj5zoA&feature=channel I didn't use a moisturizer with mine and blew my hair out before braiding because I get a better knot that way, no slippage and less build up later. I used 2 strands throughout my whole head.

oooooh! me likey. :love::love: My mom was supposed to get some of these but didn't.

Can you tell me how you take them down?

I take them down just like regular weave braids. I cut the burned end off, then pull one of the strands so it unravels a couple of stitches then pull the other etc. The tutorial I posted above does a take down video.

Your braids came out really nice! Congrats on the new addition to the family. What type of yarn did you use? I want to do mine for the summer.

Back