It Gets HOT

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I used my new pink FHI ceramic tourmaline iron last night. It gets hot and the temp. isn't even adjustable. It gets even hotter than my CHI ceramic curling iron on it's highest temp. setting.

I'm not complaining about the heat level, because obviously that's what helps the hair to get smooth and straight. But I DO NOT see how they can promote these ceramic and/or tourmaline irons as being non-damaging.

My guess is that they really are just as damaging as a regular ol' metal curling or flat iron.

Anyone else think so?

p.s.--my hair does look good though. I am 9 weeks post-relaxer and I used the FHI on my NG in the front and it looks freshly relaxed in that area.

My ION Anti-Frizz Ionic Ceramic Straightening Flat Iron doesn't have a temperature setting either. It sure does get my 4 months of new growth nice and straight (like freshly relaxed hair). I love that flat iron. I'm not sure how damaging it is, but I don't straighten my hair often anyways.

Supergirl said:
I used my new pink FHI ceramic tourmaline iron last night. It gets hot and the temp. isn't even adjustable. It gets even hotter than my CHI ceramic curling iron on it's highest temp. setting.

I'm not complaining about the heat level, because obviously that's what helps the hair to get smooth and straight. But I DO NOT see how they can promote these ceramic and/or tourmaline irons as being non-damaging.

My guess is that they really are just as damaging as a regular ol' metal curling or flat iron.

Anyone else think so?

p.s.--my hair does look good though. I am 9 weeks post-relaxer and I used the FHI on my NG in the front and it looks freshly relaxed in that area.
FHI FHI FHI!!!!! Preach girl, preach!

No adjustable temp setting? No, they shouldn't be advertising it as non-damaging. I'd keep switching between on and off as a way to regulate the temp but that's so annoying. :perplexed

I have an FHI ceramic iron with adjustable heat setting and it gets my hair very silky. I did the paper test, where you put a piece of tissue paper inside the iron until it turns brown, and it never turned brown and there was no smoke. I left the paper on the plates for a good 30 seconds. So my feeling is that the iron gets hot but it can't burn your hair.

SVT said:
No adjustable temp setting? No, they shouldn't be advertising it as non-damaging. I'd keep switching between on and off as a way to regulate the temp but that's so annoying. :perplexed

I thought an ole school way of "cooling off" a curling iron/flat iron/pressing comb was to put a wet washcloth on it and squeeze the washcloth with the heat appliance. I do this with my flat iron. I don't know if it works or not though...

Back