Is this true?

TBird

I was told that deep conditioning on a weekly basis helps stretch relaxers. The reason I ask is because I found out that all the stuff I was doing was not working for me. When I say all the stuff I mean protective styles, baggie method, daily co washes, vitamins,carrot juice, pre-treatments, if it was mentioned on this board then I did it. Well I came to find out that for my hair less is more. So I've cut the heat out all together, try to stretch relaxers, keep grease on my scalp (I know some think this is a big no no), and its noticeably longer in a much shorter period of time. But basically just to keep it real I can't afford to get my relaxer for another 2 1/2 weeks which will put me around the 10 week mark, and I'm experiencing the usually shedding and the new growth isn't unbearable but if I can make it a little softer and keep my hair more moisturized I'll try anything. So do you all think deep conditioning up until my relaxer will help? I noticed some of the ladies are using braid spray, also what conditioners do you all use for deep and I do mean DEEP conditioning since my hair is naturally a very very course and dry 4b. And should I use a hooded dryer versus the blow dryer which tends to leave my hair a tad bit poofy. TIA for all tips and replies.

For me, I try to avoid protein conditioners and concentrate on moisturizing conditioner ONLY. I use Keracare which works well for me, some people think it's not thick enough, whatever moisturizing conditioner works best for you. I prefer to sit under the dryer on a lower setting than I would dry with a rollerset (I can't air dry regularly my hair gets too thick to manage).

Towards the end of my stretch (which right now is 10 weeks) S-Curl becomes my best friend :lol: I use it on my new growth when my hair is wet and periodically when it's dry. I find that it loosens the curl and makes it much softer. It can be greasy if you use too much, but I generally wear a ponytail towards the end. Hope this helps and congratulations on your upcoming birth :)

Everyone is unique, so what may work for some may not necessarily work for others. Since you've tried everything suggested on the board, incorporate those things that work for your mane and keep consistent with it.

For me, applying products to my hair everyday is a no go, even surging. My hair/scalp is very low maintenance. Wash and deep condition every 4-5 days is sufficient. The minute I try incorporating "moisturizing" with products, spraying stuff and apply things to my scalp I notice an increase in hair shedding vs when I apply literally nothing I see the best progress.

At first I started taking vitamins and increasing water intake for hair growth, but it has overall improved my skin and well-being. I continue with my vitamin regimen because of this now. The vitamins have softened my new growth, so I can now go longer between relaxers. My goal with consistent relaxing is to relax every season (so, 4 times a year).

What can I say, my scalp is fussy, she likes to be cleaned and left alone :)

Last edited:
For me, Deep Conditioning is always helpful. I am 4b as well. I deep condition with Redken's All Soft Heavy Cream. Before I go under the dryer, I use Biosilk Silk Therapy on my mane, and it makes my hair so soft. I have not extended to 10 weeks before. Currently, I am at 6 weeks and three days. ;)

Ladies thank so much for the replies. And thanks to you nylady for the kind wishes. I've tried so many conditioners and I have yet to find one that just makes me go "Ooohhh and Ahhhhh". My hair is unbelievably thick and course my mother says it feels like wool and when my stylist started doing my hair she just about cussed once she took it out the pony tail it was in. I mean when its done it's silky, has body, and always does what I want it to. But around relaxer time it gets horrible to work with. So for you course thick 4b ladies what conditioner would you absolutely swear by and do you sit under the dryer with the conditioner on?

Since changing my regimne since the beginning of March I have been doing deep conditioning treatments once a week with heat and Light Protein treatments w/ heat on the same day. I did notice a differece in my hair and it was less unruly and easier to manage for styling. Now that I am toward the end of my streching I need to determine how to make my hair (NG) behave in the last 3 weeks of my stretching without breakage. This is my main issue.

Well as a 4b, I noticed that close to relaxer time a deep conditioner under a hooded dryer only made my hair feel soft while it was still wet. When I began experimenting with leave-ins, I noticed a difference. Currently, I am applying silk therapy with a new leave-in treatment, called Extreme, by Redken that helps minimize breakage. I promise these are some of the best results I have seen. By the way, 4b hair is not so bad. WE have to learn to be patient and gentle. It takes time to find what 4b hair likes, because you can't just use anything.

Thank cminter. I spent so much money trying so many different products that ladies with my hair type said they used. I was so ashamed. I don't mind buying expensive products if they're worth my money. I just want to find something that really works. Maybe once payday gets here I'll give the Redken a try.

Well, after I stopped my regimens I started going to my stylist every week and I didn't need to do anything. But I can't afford that anymore. But I've tried Nexxus conditioner, I've tried cholesterol, creme of nature. When my hair is wet it feels great but once it dries it is dry, it thickens and I can't get sheen to save my life. I just can't seem to find the right moisturizing conditioner. I've never had the patience to sit under my hood dryer because I can sitting uner driers even at the salon and mine at home is no where near as hot as the salon. Do you think that blow drying could be making some of the difference? My hair looks like it needs to be done and I hat that. After getting used to getting it done every week I never had that problem and now I can't stand it.

To be honest with you, a deep conditioner does not solve all your problems. You need to properly balance your products. One reason why people are so awed by salon results is because most stylist use alot of heat- hooded dryers, hand blow dryers, Marcel Irons or Ceramic Irons, etc. I urge you to try a leave-in. Do you air dry or hand blow dry? Hand Blow Dryers put alot of stress on the hair. If you chose to use one, I think it is best you do when your hair is 85% - 90% dry. Also coating your hair with a product that will alow the dryer comb to glide through is safer for your hair. Do not give up? Like I said, I am 4b, and I get discouraged as well.

Thank cminter for the tips and encouragement. Since I'm pregnant this is the best my hair has grown in years and I really want to take advantage of this growth. I've got 6 months left and once the baby gets here I have no idea what's going to happen to my hair so hopefully I can get it going in a good direction, and healthy. Thanks again.

In the past I thought Keracare humecto was "IT". I have recently changed to Herbal Essence Con. It is in a pink bottle and it says replenish for dry/color treared/damaged hair on the bottle. I cant tell you how soft my hair was. MAXIMUM slip. I thought that would go away when my hair dried, but nope, it was still smooth. It is a cheapie too.
My hair is very dry. To balance the dryness i con wash daily and deep conditioner weekly . I also use salerm leave in or NTM silk leave in; followed by kemi oyl ( a little bit goes a long way). I hope you find something that works for you. HTH

If your hair is hard, moisturizing would be key. Hydrate your hair the best you can. Try a moisturizing conditioner that does not contain any of the harmful sulfates. Use a moisturizing conditioner and follow with a leave-in that contains oils. Roller set your hair.

After I do this, my roots aren't exactly as soft as can be, but what do, spray a little water, apply a little oil and wrap clockwise one night. The next night, I wrap counterclockwise and my problems are solved.

just dont give up T... I tried just about everything i heard on this site and only some things work for my hair. but the point is to just keep trying until you find out. As for me, i only have sheen and body (and mimimum breakage) when i use heat of some sort, whether low-setting blowdryer or hi dome-dryer. and as for me, deep cond does help with extending my relaxer. the reason is because it keeps my roots very soft and helps me comb thru while it's wet and it eases the pain of dealing with 2 textures. As far a moisturizing conditioner Mizani Moisturefuse is something worth trying. it costs about $9 if you were to go to a salon that sells it (hair cuttery)... also remember that there aren't any superproducts out there...if u don't have type 2hair then don't expect any product to give u those results UNLESS u have a fresh perm. :ohwell: I don't mean to discourage you but i try to be realistic when i'm 8weeks post..i don't expect my hair to be shiny and have body at this stage, so this is when i'll usually wear it in a braid-out or hair clip or phony pony. and i use lots and lots and lots of oil at this time.
hope yhis helps!
TBird said:
Well, after I stopped my regimens I started going to my stylist every week and I didn't need to do anything. But I can't afford that anymore. But I've tried Nexxus conditioner, I've tried cholesterol, creme of nature. When my hair is wet it feels great but once it dries it is dry, it thickens and I can't get sheen to save my life. I just can't seem to find the right moisturizing conditioner. I've never had the patience to sit under my hood dryer because I can sitting uner driers even at the salon and mine at home is no where near as hot as the salon. Do you think that blow drying could be making some of the difference? My hair looks like it needs to be done and I hat that. After getting used to getting it done every week I never had that problem and now I can't stand it.

Well for me, deep conditioning helps with stretching relaxers. I use Biolage Ultra Hydrating balm and it depoofs my hair a bit. I am currently eyeing the Kenra Moisturizing conditioner because I tried a sample of it and it made my hair soft and spongy. I hope you find something that works.

Okay, ladies this is it. I'm going to the beauty supply (not a salon) after work. I need a good deep conditioner and shampoo and leave in to do my hair so that I can last just 2 more weeks. What would you suggest. And I know through all my trial and error that just because something is expensive doesn't mean its effective, so I have a lot of course new growth and I want this stuff to not look like I need it done. And I'll tell you why. I work for a bank and one of my customers said to me, "What did you do to your hair?" and being the arrogant (I guess) person that I am I was thinking she was about to give me a complement so I said "Nothing" with a big ol smile on my face and the she proceeds to put me in my place by saying "Well you need to." Wow. Talk about someone having to pick their jaw up off the floor. And being pregnant I almost bust into tears. So next week when I get to work I've got to look better than I do now. I knew it was bad but had no idea it was that bad. :-( Help!!!!

Back