Is this tooooo damaging

kaykay

I want to dye my hair and get a perm (course not at the same time) Does anyone have thier hair dyed and permed and it is still healthy? If so, How do you take care of it?

im dyed permed and bleached and my hair is fine still. I always wait at least a month between each chemical and i always always always deep condition before and after each chemical. also use products that specify for damaged or color treated hair.

Just don't dye your hair if it is already damaged. If it isn't, then you may be fine, but everyone's hair reacts different to dye. I don't do anything terribly different because my hair is bleached, but I have to pay special attention to the ends because they are prone to splitting (always have been, long before dye).

I have semi permanent haircolor and a perm. i got it colored like a month and a half before i went back and got a perm. i use products specifically for permed/colored hair, and i deep condition EVERY week. make sure the perm you use is for color treated hair too.

Generally, a semi-perm color and relaxer are okay...again, not at the same time. Usually one week and one shampoo (at least) apart. I accidentally used a permanent color (was advertised safe for permed hair--Clairols Textures and Tones--and it definitely damaged my hair. I think I have finally got the breakage under control after just about 2 months of babying my hair and using the heavy guns of conditioners---Dudley's DRC and Aphogee, plus moisture and oils. Be very careful.
ohwell.gif

thats what i was thinking aerie. it can be a big deal if its semi-perm/rinse because the color is just coating the hair.

I've been doing both for the past ten years and my hair is fine. You just have to make sure to take extra care of your hair. Oil treatments, lots of conditioning, being gentle etc.

Thank you ladies! I was asking because I really want to color my hair this spring but I didn't know if My hair would all fall off or not lol. I think I am going to get the dye first and then get a sew in. Then I won't perm my hair for at least 2 more months. Do you ladies think that this is safe?
TIA

normally its best to get a perm done first an then a dye job, but because you wont be perming for another couple months i think it wil be alright to color now, just remember to wait a week or so after takin out the sew-in before u decide to perm ur hair.

I use a lye perm and hair dye as well. If you are staying one of two shades from your natural color try Bigen Hair Dye. It is real gentle on the hair, no peroxcide or ammonia, and can be used the very same day.

See tracy's bootcamp thread, kaykay.
Donda, do you use bigen the same day you relax? I would like to do that, it would really save me alot of bother.

DO NOT PUT IN A PERMANENT DYE OVER A RELAXER. This is so damaging to your hair in the long run, especially if u get a light color. IE my first picture will show u that (i went bald in about 2 months) Once your hair grows, the textures will be different (the dyed hair, much thinner) and it will easily break off. I had my hair dyed and still have pieces of dyed hair in it that break easily bc they are so much thinner than the grown in hair. I would get a rinse/semi-permanent

I had a permanent light brown color along with my relaxer last summer, and my hair was fine. I used a lot of tlc and conditioning on my hair, and it was in good shape.

I even RE-colored it a few times, trying to get the right shade. I colored over it with a darker color for the winter, but I am planning on redying it.

Just be sure to deep condition for a few weeks before you color, and do a protein treatment before you color to strenghten your hair. You should never color damaged/dry hair.

Good luck.
smile.gif

My girlfriend tried to go from brown to blonde w/going to a salon and was relaxing at home and went from shoulder length hair to a twa in 6 weeks..I was so shock when she came to my house with this terrible curly weave glued to her hair...my boyfriend faded her up nice and I took her to my stylist..I had highlights once and it was damaging so I don't do color and relaxer..bad combo...Rinses aren't bad, they actually help to fill in the hair...so going darker isn't bad but going lighter is always a risk..just be careful...

[ QUOTE ]
prettybrownjaz said:
DO NOT PUT IN A PERMANENT DYE OVER A RELAXER. This is so damaging to your hair in the long run, especially if u get a light color. IE my first picture will show u that (i went bald in about 2 months) Once your hair grows, the textures will be different (the dyed hair, much thinner) and it will easily break off. I had my hair dyed and still have pieces of dyed hair in it that break easily bc they are so much thinner than the grown in hair. I would get a rinse/semi-permanent

[/ QUOTE ]
Your not suppose to put a relaxer over the color
smile.gif

Back