Is this normal for a transition? (I'm freaking out)

maddywoo13

Ok, so a little over a month ago, I decided to transition from relax to natural. Yesterday, I was laying my head down at break, my bored boyfriend decides to pluck my hair one by hair, I didn't freak cause I didn't feel he could do much damaged by just plucking one hair one by one but I did notice it wasn't very resistant to breaking off, I thought that was...weird but still I didn't freak. Suddenly he grabs A CHUNK, I'm talkin' 20-30 pieces in a fist and simply pulls it out. All I heard the loud break of my hair and it wasn't from my root. I shot up and looked at that HUGE glob of hair just....sitting their in his hand! Then he asked me "Why is your hair so weak?"

I don't know if this is apart of the transition process or if it's something I'm doing but this is freaky to me. This morning pulled some more hair and it came off, just as easy as snapping your fingers.

I'm using S-curl as my sole source of daily moisture sealing with olive oil I shampoo once a week with neutrogena triple moisture shampoo and condition with Suave Humecent, I co-wash every 3 days or so, and I DC with Lekair (green) conditioner mixed with Olive oil and Coconut oil and I comb my hair with a max of twice a day. I understand that if you decide to transition theres gonna be some breakage but is my hair gonna be THAT vulnerable? If so, Should I just cut it all off or can I overcome this?

Thank for you replies in advance

I lost a lot of hair due to breakage during transition. The demarcation line (the line where the relaxed and natural hair) is very weak and will break easily. I'm sure someone else can come along with better advice, but I would focus on handling the hair gently and making sure that you moisturize that area well.

Ok, so a little over a month ago, I decided to transition from relax to natural. Yesterday, I was laying my head down at break, my bored boyfriend decides to pluck my hair one by hair, I didn't freak cause I didn't feel he could do much damaged by just plucking one hair one by one but I did notice it wasn't very resistant to breaking off, I thought that was...weird but still I didn't freak. Suddenly he grabs A CHUNK, I'm talkin' 20-30 pieces in a fist and simply pulls it out. All I heard the loud break of my hair and it wasn't from my root. I shot up and looked at that HUGE glob of hair just....sitting their in his hand! Then he asked me "Why is your hair so weak?"

I don't know if this is apart of the transition process or if it's something I'm doing but this is freaky to me. This morning pulled some more hair and it came off, just as easy as snapping your fingers.

I'm using S-curl as my sole source of daily moisture sealing with olive oil I shampoo once a week with neutrogena triple moisture shampoo and condition with Suave Humecent, I co-wash every 3 days or so, and I DC with Lekair (green) conditioner mixed with Olive oil and Coconut oil and I comb my hair with a max of twice a day. I understand that if you decide to transition theres gonna be some breakage but is my hair gonna be THAT vulnerable? If so, Should I just cut it all off or can I overcome this?

Thank for you replies in advance
I agree that it sounds like you need protein, but you may also want to look into using a heavier, more moisturizing conditioner on your shampoo day. Because of that line of demarcation, you definitely want to keep it moisturized at least twice a day, and stay away from that comb on dry hair as much as possible! BTW, why did he go from yanking individual strands to taking a small handfull? :catfight:

S-curl can be damaging to hair when used too frequently, be careful with it. You definetely need soom protein.

My hair never liked S-curl, and you seem to not have any protein in your reggie... maybe incorporate the 2min aphogee...

You need protein! And on DC days, try applying it like a relaxer to make sure you really get that line of demarcation.

Yup, lots of protein and maybe search for another moisturizer (instead of S-curl). I'm transitioning and I found that the S-curl made my hair mushy no matter what proteins I used, so I ditched it.

why in the world would he grab that much hair? :perplexed. i agree that you need protein. transitioning hair is weaker because of the two textures. don't be too alarmed by the weakened state of your hair but keep your bf from pulling at your hair because it will damage your hair in the form of split/rough ends etc.

Last edited:
Which side of his face did you smack him on after he did that? lol This just goes to sure that some products do not work for everyone. S-Curl does NOTHING for my hair. I agree with everyone else that said you may need a lil protein to your regimen. Good Luck Transitioning!

When I first started transitioning I swore by S-curl until my hair started getting mushy. I would reccommend a protein treatment.

You definitely need protein particularly when transitioning. You need to keep that line of demarcation strong.

I'll kill you if you grab my hair and yank it out!!! AHHHH! :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: But yea I agree with the ladies. Even my hair is weak when I need a perm. The line of demarcation is very sensitive and causes a lot of breakage if you don't take care of it

Ok, protein. I went to Whit Water today and I'm about to wash my hair, I think it will be a fine time to put that in motion =)
I might need to go back to the Kid's Lotion used. Granted, the S-curl is great cuz it LAYS my hair down but if it's causing it to be more vulnerable aside to lack of protein, maybe I need to go back.

Back