Is this Natural?

napgurl

Do you consider texturized hair natural? I'm considering texturizing while I transition to natural. I hope that by texturizing I won't have to do the big chop. But the more I think about it, it is quite obvious that I'll still be using chemicals. What do you think?

I dont consider texturized hair natural, because its hair that has been chemically treated. Natural hair is hair thats 100% free from chemicals.

Sweet_Ambrosia said:
I dont consider texturized hair natural, because its hair that has been chemically treated. Natural hair is hair thats 100% free from chemicals.

I agree. I've seen some people call their texturized hair "natural" and I don't get it. Natural hair = how it grows out of your head with no texture changing chemicals.

No, it's not natural...but you would be surprised by the number of people that think texturized hair is natural.:perplexed

thickness said:
No, it's not natural...but you would be surprised by the number of people that think texturized hair is natural.:perplexed

Thank God I never thought that! :lol:

I knew I wasn't natural, but it was fun to "pretend" :look:

thickness said:
Yeah for a while there I was believing it then common sense set in. Now another question. Do you know of anyone who transitioned without cutting their hair below shoulder length?

mscolwhite said:
Yeah for a while there I was believing it then common sense set in. Now another question. Do you know of anyone who transitioned without cutting their hair below shoulder length?

I tried to do it, but it just didn't work out. I would do regular trims, but around month 11 it began to get a little difficult dealing with the two textures. I had around 5 to 7 inches of natural hair and those relaxed ends would tangle so badly no matter how much I moisturized or tried to make them "blend". So, I just cut them. Why prolong the inevitable?

mscolwhite said:
I remember one album I'd seen, don't remember where though, this woman transitioned for abour 2 or 2 1/2 years with twists....she didn't really do a big chop she just cut a little at a time.

ETA: I forgot to add she had hair down between her shoulder blades.

Last edited:
thickness said:
I tried to do it, but it just didn't work out. I would do regular trims, but around month 11 it began to get a little difficult dealing with the two textures. I had around 5 to 7 inches of natural hair and those relaxed ends would tangle so badly no matter how much I moisturized or tried to make them "blend". So, I just cut them. Why prolong the inevitable?

And your hair looked a lot better, did it not, once you made the final cut?

i'm texturized and no its not natural although i am pretty much styling/treating my hair the same way as when it was natural. i'm trying to decide if i get a corrective to really look texturized or just transition no chop

msportugal said:
i'm texturized and no its not natural although i am pretty much styling/treating my hair the same way as when it was natural. i'm trying to decide if i get a corrective to really look texturized or just transition no chop

Are you not happy with your texturizer? I just gave my sister one and she wants me to do a corrective because she wants the curls a lil bit looser, that was yesterday. But, today she's having second thoughts as well and is thinking about transitioning all over again. What does "really looking texturized" look like?

Blossssom said:
And your hair looked a lot better, did it not, once you made the final cut?

It sure did! The transition with my texturized hair was not as bad though. I went two years before cutting the last texturized parts off. It was kind of hard because I cut 4 inches at one time!

thickness said:
Are you not happy with your texturizer? I just gave my sister one and she wants me to do a corrective because she wants the curls a lil bit looser, that was yesterday. But, today she's having second thoughts as well and is thinking about transitioning all over again. What does "really looking texturized" look like?

to me it is :
-defined spirals or curls in clumps
-when it is dry it doesnt look like a mass of hair or a fro you still see the definition
-major difference in shrinkage (what i dont have)
-a clear difference in the size of your natural curls or spirals (my spirals are only slightly wider)

this is what i think i would be happy with and consider "really texturized looking hair"

i'm not really happy so its corrective or just not texturize anymore i guess that would be a transition but it would be super long because i would only trim as usual and not chop at all I'M AFTER LENGHT WHATEVER TEXTURE SO THE CHOP IS OUT!!!!

Last edited:
msportugal said:
to me it is :
-defined spirals or curls in clumps
-when it is dry it doesnt look like a mass of hair or a fro you still see the definition
-major difference in shrinkage (what i dont have)
-a clear difference in the size of your natural curls or spirals (my spirals are only slightly wider)

this is what i think i would be happy with and consider "really texturized looking hair"

i'm not really happy so its corrective or just not texturize anymore i guess that would be a transition but it would be super long because i would only trim as usual and not chop at all I'M AFTER LENGHT WHATEVER TEXTURE SO THE CHOP IS OUT!!!!

That's what my sister wants as well. We just did it last week and she wants to do a corrective now. We only left it on for 5 mins per section. So, I think doing a corrective now would not be that bad for her. I feel you on not doing a big chop! I transitioned 2 years with my texturizer.

affirm no lye is the truth i thought 9min would be too long but if i redo the text i will go for 9-13min i didnt believe it would be as mild on me as it was on everyone else

mkstar826 said:
I agree. I've seen some people call their texturized hair "natural" and I don't get it. Natural hair = how it grows out of your head with no texture changing chemicals.

thats right.

I think some people don't realize that just becase they texturize their hair it doesn't mean it's going to look like texturized person A's hair or so & so on the Curve website. First, text'd person A may have a different hair texture than you, so the results look diff. and the people on the Curve site don't just have texturized hair, but texturized hair that was heavily manipulated with product and took a lot of time (I know y'all read the directions for the curly styles) and most ppl. don't have that time to do that everyday for those results.

thickness said:
That's what my sister wants as well. We just did it last week and she wants to do a corrective now. We only left it on for 5 mins per section. So, I think doing a corrective now would not be that bad for her. I feel you on not doing a big chop! I transitioned 2 years with my texturizer.

nurseN98 said:
I remember one album I'd seen, don't remember where though, this woman transitioned for abour 2 or 2 1/2 years with twists....she didn't really do a big chop she just cut a little at a time.

ETA: I forgot to add she had hair down between her shoulder blades.

That's what I did the first time I transitioned. For about 6 months I did the wash and go, then for about a year or more I did twists. Right now I am tranisitioning, and my hair is almost down to my waist, I mostly do wash and go, although in the past couple of months I have been doing a lot of straight looks.

Sweet_Ambrosia said:

So do people consider coloring still 100% natural? It is a chemical isn't it? And dosen't it slightly alter the texture of your hair? I dunno :look:.

aquarian1252004 said:
So do people consider coloring still 100% natural? It is a chemical isn't it? And dosen't it slightly alter the texture of your hair? I dunno :look:.
I just consider it color treated hair, but still natural but it doesnt really change texture unless you bleach blond, then it does straighten the hair.

mscolwhite said:
Do you consider texturized hair natural? I'm considering texturizing while I transition to natural. I hope that by texturizing I won't have to do the big chop. But the more I think about it, it is quite obvious that I'll still be using chemicals. What do you think?

Girl, I say this endearingly, but...
"Hell to the Naw!" :grin:

Back