A few questions for those who texturize...

Thanks for bumping- I was just thinking about this since it's been a little over a year since I got my first texturizer!

I think that I've come to the conclusion that a texturizer is beneficial to the extent that a) you want to do a wash-and-go style all or 90% of the time; b) you want the hair to dry without 100% shrinkage; and c) you want to spend little to no time styling your hair EVER.

I've spent considerably less time styling my hair in the past year- I would say the time to style is reduced by about 80%. This is because I wash-and-go all the time and deep condition maybe once a month if I remember. However, certain styles, like twists and twistouts that were staples when I was natural just don't look the same as the volume of the hair has decreased. In this way, texturized hair, IMO, does not have the same versatility as natural hair. BUT, the wash-and-go can be shaped into different styles (poofy, wavy bun; smooth bun; messy pin-up, etc) or just worn as is with no fuss.

When the colder months hit and it's not feasible to walk outside with a wet head full of conditioner, I think I'm going to maintain a straight style, although honestly it's not really that much easier for me to get my hair straight and keep it that way. Rollersets still take forever to dry and the hair puffs easily.

Having said all this, I don't think I would texturize if I could do it all over again. I've only decided to maintain this process because I love being able to just conditioner wash every morning and that's it. I know that my hair will dry without puffing out incredibly. Also, I think I have retained a lot of length by not manipulating the hair much at all. However, I find myself caressing the little curls and waves at the root that are actually shinier and stronger than my texturized hair! Sometimes I miss the massiveness of my natural hair, but then I remember the struggles to comb it that usually resulted in me losing a lot of hair (despite following the correct techniques for detangling- I just shed easily:(). That's not the case with the texturizer, so I'm going to grow this way as long as I can!

Oshun your hair is gorgeous! Keep growing girl, but if you REALLY miss your natural hair its okay to go back. You'll still be one of my hair idols ;)

Last edited:
Yes. Oshuncurls your hair is gorgeous!

Thank you for your input. It's just what I needed b/c I've been natural for 3 years and I did it primarily to ultimately end up with thicker longer hair that I could style curly or straight. However, I too found that at this point (little past shoulder length hair) I'm having a lot of breakage trying to style my hair completely natural. So I'm getting a texturizer today. I know I'll miss the how shinier and smooth my completely natural hair is, but I'd rather have longer hair with less shrinkage and breakage. I guess we just have to make tough decisions about what we want more.

Thanks again and God bless you! :)

ayanapooh said:
After I transition for a year, I may consider texturizing if I can't manage my natural hair. I wanted to know the following:

1) Do you use an actual texturizer to texturize your hair, or do you just put a relaxer on your hair and leave it on for a shorter amount of time?

2) What results do you get with each, or is it about the same thing? (i.e. does one make your hair straighter/curlier?)

3) What are the pros and cons of texturizing? Is it really the best of both worlds like some say, in terms of being able to have texture while still being able to straighten easily?

1) I use Designer Touch Regular Texturizer.

2) My results depend on how long I leave the product on my hair. It can have coily curls, larger curls or waves. If I leave it on too long, it does make my hair a lot straighter. Otherwise, I get wonderful curls.

3) Pro's: Great manageability, versatility ( can wear straight or curly), easy to style, easy to care for, and looks great short or long.

Con's: It can be a challenge to get the new-growth touched up.

I love texturizing/texlaxing.
It was a godsend for me.

My stylist uses a regular relaxer, leaves it on for a very short time and does not manipulate my hair while its on. My hair is texturized just enough to get the frizz out of it.

Cons: I get tangles if I try to stretch for more than 10 weeks.

Pros: No pressing comb, I can actually let my hair air dry, I can work up a sweat when exercising, I no longer wait until every two weeks to wash my hair, styling is much, much, much easier. I usually airdry my hair in ponytail twists with no-breakage rubberbands. This pulls my roots just straight enough. I twist and air dry or sit under the dryer for awhile. After that, I will wear it crinkly after I've taken the ponytail twists out, I'll do bantu knots or just barely run the flat iron thru it and use my hot rollers.

Products really make the difference.

All this from a girl who always only used blowdryers and never thought she'd be able to do her own hair.

God really helped me with this one.

Last edited:
Back