Is this chart realistic?

Does the chart accurately reflect your growth rate

• Yes. My growth rate matches the chart.

Votes: 50 46.7%
  • No. My growth rate is much shorter than the chart reflects for the time period.

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • No. My growth rate is much longer than the chart reflects for the time period.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Damn that chart. I'm keeping hope alive!

Votes: 33 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
So I been up in this hair game for 2 1/2 years now. I've had good progress and I truly believe in the techniques, methods, product uses that the board teaches.

But looking at the chart, I wonder if the time frame is really realistic. I KNOW it doesn't consider all the damn knots I gotta trim outta my head. I think I'm going to have to add 2 years to their estimate to hit the milestone targets. Obviously I know that my hair doesn't encompass the spectrum of what's normal hair growth.

Does anyone's growth correspond with this chart? Please note that the tape measure begins at the crown of the head. So if are BSL, the hair at the crown runs the entire length to the bra strap
Tppic131.jpg

I'm going to add a poll to this bad boy to get a better idea.
ETA: Omit the word "much" from the no answers in the poll. sowwy.

Last edited:
i think its realistic. i think i read that on average most will grow 6 inches of hair a year. of course one would have to retain all that length every year, not trims or cuts for it to be more realistic.

I cut my hair to SL last year, it's now at APL, I think I'll be at BSL by this time next year. That chart is pretty consistent with my experience... so far...

I think it's realistic or at least possible.

yes, my growth matches that chart but only as a natural. i have retained almost 6inches each year as natural but i could never retain length when relaxed due to heat damage, shedding, breakage, etc.

yes, it is pretty dang acurate.

One thing that may make it look funny is the lady in the picture's hair is all one length. From my ears forward is like 2-3 inches shorter than the hair in the back.

IMO this is not realistic. Atleast not for my hair....I have been on my journey for about 1.5 years and I am not where I should be. Granted my hair was damaged and short but still.

I think the chart is pretty accurate. But 2007 was my first year of actually paying attention to my hair growth. I will know for sure if this chart is BS or not by Dec 2008. I should be at the 3 year length according to the chart on Dec 2008

yes, it is pretty dang acurate.

One thing that may make it look funny is the lady in the picture's hair is all one length. From my ears forward is like 2-3 inches shorter than the hair in the back.

See that's what I'm getting at. If I stretch the hair at my nape, then yeah I'm right in line with ole girl, but if I stretch hair from my crown...not so much.

I think its pretty acurate, but your growth/retention would have to maintain the optimal level year after year:ohwell:

See that's what I'm getting at. If I stretch the hair at my nape, then yeah I'm right in line with ole girl, but if I stretch hair from my crown...not so much.

Just let it grow naturally then. My hair truely grows slower in the front. I am 10 weeks post and I have 1.5" in the back and just past .5 inch in the front. That a free style for me. Some people cut their hair back to achieve it. I am just going to take what the good Lord has blessed me with and nuture it to the best of my ability.

Yup, I think so. Even with trims and me not caring for my hair, I think it's growing at a rate similar to the person in the chart. I will get to do a 2 year reveal soon and I should be right around the picture.

Now, I notice that some members can achieve faster growth than this. Kudos to them. Also, I think it's strange to have all of the hair one length - how many people do you know who have hair like that? I guess they did that so they can illustrate their point?

So I been up in this hair game for 2 1/2 years now. I've had good progress and I truly believe in the techniques, methods, product uses that the board teaches.

But looking at the chart, I wonder if the time frame is really realistic. I KNOW it doesn't consider all the damn knots I gotta trim outta my head. I think I'm going to have to add 2 years to their estimate to hit the milestone targets. Obviously I know that my hair doesn't encompass the spectrum of what's normal hair growth.

Does anyone's growth correspond with this chart? Please note that the tape measure begins at the crown of the head. So if are BSL, the hair at the crown runs the entire length to the bra strap
Tppic131.jpg

It depends on your growth rate. That chart is based off a .5inch per month growth rate. If your hair grows at that rate, then it's accurate. IT ISN'T ACCURATE FOR ME THOUGH!!! %@$& that chart!

Last edited:
The vast majority of people's growth rate matches the chart but their growth retention is a different story. Due to trims, cuts, damage, and breakage, only a rare person retains all their growth.

Yeah I think it's realistic. When I was relaxed and frequented the salon bi weekly I noticed my stylist's clients hair grew on that schedule. If they started out with a short hair cut, their hair was about chin length in a year. Then it was about shoulder length when they hit the 2 year mark. And she relaxed our hair every 6-8 weeks and trimmed every time. I didn't make it to the 2 year mark with her after I got a short hair cut. But my hair was grazing my shoulder a little over a year after the cut.

Last edited:

Tppic131.jpg

Yes it's realistic.

Problem is our hair tends to break off either faster than it grows or just as soon as it grows, so for us, it may seem to take forever.

But for them (non-Black), it takes pretty much exactly what that chart says.

I say the first 6 inches are pretty easy to get. It's getting past those 6 inches that it gets a little harder for the sistas.

Or past the 10-12 inches if you hair is a little longer.

i think it's a very general guide but it does have some truth to it. i transitioned for 6 months and had around 2 inches of hair, instead of 3. but when you consider all the factors that come into hair growth and retention, i can honestly say i didn't do nearly enough to make sure my hair grew to the best it could. i had a very bad diet, did no exercise, didn't moisturise, no deep conditioning, left braids in too long, i was very stressed etc.

i think if someone has a good regimen, doesn't trim much, treats their hair with care and lives a healthy lifestyle then their hair will grow to the maximum that it can. i don't even think this is hard to attain, i'd say most people are doing the aforementioned anyway. genetics will also play a big part in how fast your hair grows.

Back