Is there anything wrong with cowashing twice per day?

FrazzledFraggle

I take a shower in the morning before work and in the evening before bed (and after insanity workout). It's just not an option not to wash my hair at night but it's easier to bun in the morning when my hair is damp so I'd like to be able to cowash again in the morning. I think it's low manipulation. I use a very wide shower comb and detangle with the conditioner in under the shower only. After that I don't touch a comb to my hair anymore and it goes in a braid or bun.

If I still do my reconstructor (light protein) once per week, is there any reason why this would be bad for my hair?

Oh also, I'm relaxed now and I am:

8,294,400 seconds
138,240 minutes
2304 hours
13 weeks (rounded down)

post-relaxer. :lol:

I don't want to relax again until the six month mark or May 10, 2013.

Last edited:
I do this. Don't have much of a problem unless I use conditioners with cones or protien. Sticking to natural products had done far better for me. I Still clarify once a week at the least.

Edit: whoops I realize you're relaxed. My hair hated cowashing when I was relaxed. Then again, it also hated life. It was pretty dead. Ill let relaxed ladies chime in

I do this. Don't have much of a problem unless I use conditioners with cones or protien. Sticking to natural products had done far better for me. I Still clarify once a week at the least.

Thanks! What do you use to clarify? Do you mean just a regular shampoo or a clarifying shampoo?

I use:

508d2a1211cb0_142566b.jpg

and then:

garnier-sleek-shine-anti-frizz-serum-5.1-fl-oz-3.jpg

for slip and to seal.

I don't use anything else other than the 2 minute reconstructor (Aphogee) once per week.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks! What do you use to clarify? Do you mean just a regular shampoo or a clarifying shampoo?

Ors creamy aloe is my favorite. It's my go to because I really hate most shampoos. I also like Shea moisture coconut and hibiscus shampoo; it's sulfate free and seems to get my hair pretty clean as well, but I'm not sure if it qualifies as clarifying.

Forgot to mention once a week just a regular shampoo, especially if you're not using cones or a lot of oils. I only clarify when I feel like I need to...like my hair feels coated or dry or something.

You'll definitely need to clarify as needed since you're using so many cones...I can't say how often since everyone's hair is different, but I would definitely pick up a cone free shampoo and a moisture dc to use at the end of the week. Seems like you use a lot of protien and not much moisture.

I cowash once a day but so long as you keep your moisture and protein balanced I don't see a problem. I'm relaxed.

You'll definitely need to clarify as needed since you're using so many cones...I can't say how often since everyone's hair is different, but I would definitely pick up a cone free shampoo and a moisture dc to use at the end of the week. Seems like you use a lot of protien and not much moisture.

I thought the co-washing (conditioner) was for moisture? :sad:

I thought the co-washing (conditioner) was for moisture? :sad:

Check the ingredients. Organix is known for being packed with cones. You're also using one rich with protein. Protein can be pretty drying on its own, and the cones actually start to build up and lock moisture out of hair. You could always switch conditioners to avoid this, or maybe alternate between that one and one without any cones to slow down build up from occurring.

Check the ingredients. Organix is known for being packed with cones. You're also using one rich with protein. Protein can be pretty drying on its own, and the cones actually start to build up and lock moisture out of hair. You could always switch conditioners to avoid this, or maybe alternate between that one and one without any cones to slow down build up from occurring.

You're awesome. Thank you. I use all natural everything else...deodorant, bodywash, toothpaste, etc. but everytime I try to go all natural with my poo it seems like there is a heavier film than with the unnatural products. :nono:

My relaxed hair would not have liked that regimen, particular with those products. I think you should try it for two weeks, and see how your hair reacts. If it becomes dry, limp, resistant, webby or soft, supple, strong, and smooth, you will be able to determine if the routine is good for you. :)

@yulovevybz You are right on the money with the product analysis!

Have you tried bunning at night? I would switch up the conditioners with a protein one you're using and a moisture one so your hair would feel balanced.

My hair (ng) doesn't like to detangle when I water rinse.

But if you detangle at night, do you need to do it again in the morning?

What about misting your hair in the morning instead of fully wetting it?

However if the co-washing 2x/day works for you, keep it up. That would be too much manipulation for me especially if detangling both times.

ETA: Does you hair get time to dry when you wash 2x/day? That would worry me too. But maybe that's not such a problem with relaxed hair.

Last edited:
My hair is natural but has no problem with a similar regi. I did this in the summer when I had to shower twice, sometimes even three times a day. I didn't detangle every time though. I found suave and nexxus to be better, because they wouldn't build up too fast and had enough slip so that I wouldn't need to even touch my shower comb. I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping hair wet a lot. I don't think my hair was ever dry when I was in training on the beach. I had to wet it in the morning because it was a frizzy mess, I had to wet it when I got home because we marched in high heat and I sweat like crazy, and sometimes I needed to wet it at night if I went swimming in the ocean later that day. My only concern was that I wasn't getting build up from cones.

Suave rosemary and mint shampoo was a lifesaver. A shampoo with protein or oils is useful to have because your hair WILL start feeling soggy. I find I have to go by feel. If it feels soggy ill shampoo and protein. If it feels gunky, clarify.

Natural products don't do much for my hair either. However, any shampoo with cones js not your friend because its not getting the cones out of your hair. The creamy olive oil is all I can recommend, and the suave rosemary and mint as well. For conditioners, the natural ones have always left me feeling dirty. :nono: again you can try suave, biolage or nexxus. You can use your organix and rotate it with something without cones. I know it smells good and looks pretty but it's bad news for repeated use. For your routine I'd grab whatever comes in the biggest bottle and roll with it. I got my huge bottle of biolage from the NEX for 25 dolla. Also. Tresseme flawless curls is great, even your hair isn't curly. I can't find it anywhere these days. :(

Nope. In the summer, I co-wash every time I take a shower. That could be 3x a days. 4 on a busy day. LOL! Co-wash your little heart out.

Back