is there ANYTHING i can do about these knots!?!?

Shatani

when i actually look at my hair, i can see these tiny little knots on a lot of the strands....my hair just coils up around itself all the time! i have neither the time nor the inclination to go through each and every strand on this big old head trying to undo these tiny knots (plus i would probably end up breaking the strand)

so, is there anything i can do to prevent it from happening....or is it just a fact of life as a natural that i should accept and move on??

Accpet it. lol. I have them too :( But I noticed that combing through my hair at least twice a week helped some. I thought trimming would help too, but no. I trimmed about 5 times since my BC thinking maybe that was the culprit, But seeing that it isnt, Im not trimming as often. I try to ignore them.

I've learned to accept them too. I think it's just something that coily hair does. I've looked at them up real close, and noticed that there is always some sort of residue/flaky white stuff caught up in the knot (or sometimes there's a foreign fiber from a blanket or something). So I figured that having buildup in your hair or using a product that leaves too much of a coating will encourage the knots. That's why I never leave conditioner in my hair. I always rinse completely and make sure I get all the conditioner out of the ends, especially when I've been using a thicker conditioner. I still can't seem to get rid of them completely but it has helped. I just snip out the ones that can't be detangled whenever I feel bothered. But most of the time I try to ignore them.

alright, i guess i'll just live with it as a consequence of having natural hair....

do you ladies notice that its gotten worse as your hair has grown??

Shatani said:
alright, i guess i'll just live with it as a consequence of having natural hair....

No not really...

BlackCardinal said:
I've learned to accept them too. I think it's just something that coily hair does. I've looked at them up real close, and noticed that there is always some sort of residue/flaky white stuff caught up in the knot (or sometimes there's a foreign fiber from a blanket or something). So I figured that having buildup in your hair or using a product that leaves too much of a coating will encourage the knots. That's why I never leave conditioner in my hair. I always rinse completely and make sure I get all the conditioner out of the ends, especially when I've been using a thicker conditioner. I still can't seem to get rid of them completely but it has helped. I just snip out the ones that can't be detangled whenever I feel bothered. But most of the time I try to ignore them.
see I think its the opposite for me...if anything I think that the conditioner has helped keep the strands from coiling toegther.

Shatani said:

I used to have lots of knots, too. I am one of those who had lots of problems with split ends and knotted hair due to chronically dry hair. As the condition of my hair improved, the knot problem lessened, also. I still get knots, but much less than I had in the past. I think the olive oil/castor oil treatments have helped my ends. The oil literally dissolves any build up and absorbs or saturates lint. So when I do wash, I don't have those white balls of :confused: lint left in my hair - even after a good shampoo scrub- like a used to have. I agree that these little lint balls encourage knots.

I get those knots too. I try to trim them if I notice them while I am combing my hair. I have not found a way to prevent them; I guess I will have to learn to live with them as others have suggested.

Ayeshia said:
No not really...
hmmm....as my hair has gotten longer and longer, im noticing more and more knots....although, my curl pattern is tighter than yours...you think that would have anything to do with it??

Shatani said:
hmmm....as my hair has gotten longer and longer, im noticing more and more knots....although, my curl pattern is tighter than yours...you think that would have anything to do with it??

Maybe. I think the kinkier the pattern the most likely it is to coil around itself. the kinkiest section of my head is the only place where I get knots. The loose pattern, nada one.

yeah i was running my hands through my hair today and i could feel those small knots.....i just ignored them

Back