Votes: 6 40.0%
  • I only seal w/ my red palm

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Other-please explain

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

Amari

Here's the description from camdengray.com-

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Red Palm Butter: Some may call this a butter, others an oil. Its state fluctuates from solid when cold to partially solid when warmer to fully liquid when very warm or hot. This is pure red palm oil/butter which is edible and which will provide color and emollient qualities to your toiletries. Contains lots of natural vitamins and antioxidants, its high content of carotenoids gives the oil/butter its beautiful orange/red color. May also be used as is on the skin and hair. SAP value 199.[/FONT]

I've also reviewed threads and it's still unclear whether you use it as a moisturizer or to seal in your moisure.So how do you ladies use your red palm to get the best results?

I use it as both - it's a two-fer, to me. I add it to my leave-in (which is a mix of moisturizing conditioners and various butters) and I feel like it moisturizes and seals in the moisture from the other ingredients.
I also use it on my skin (almost the only thing I use) and I LOVE it. LOVE it. Can't take my RPO from me! :lol:

Thanks for the responses ladies.JustKiya,do you use red palm on your skin st8 up or do you mix it with something?

Thanks for the responses ladies.JustKiya,do you use red palm on your skin st8 up or do you mix it with something?

Both. I use it straight up most of the time (there's a huge mason jar sitting on the back of my bathroom sink), but when I'm traveling with it, I like to mix it with a thicker/harder butter, so that it doesn't go as oily/liquid as fast. I like cocoa butter or mango butter, as those are the hardest.

Both. I use it straight up most of the time (there's a huge mason jar sitting on the back of my bathroom sink), but when I'm traveling with it, I like to mix it with a thicker/harder butter, so that it doesn't go as oily/liquid as fast. I like cocoa butter or mango butter, as those are the hardest.

Thats interesting I never thought to try it on my skin.I'll make some up when I make Sareca's Red Palm Recipe.

Anybody have some that was extracted w/ slat (common approach)? If so, do you still use it on hair or just skin? I picked some up from an African store and I see that it has salt in it, so I don't know whether to call it a loss and just use it in cooking just yet?

Anybody have some that was extracted w/ slat (common approach)? If so, do you still use it on hair or just skin? I picked some up from an African store and I see that it has salt in it, so I don't know whether to call it a loss and just use it in cooking just yet?

:look: I've always gotten mine via the generosity of sistren on the hair boards, so I honestly have no. earthly. clue.

LOL..I wrote "slat"? I meant salt, but I'm inclined to use this oil in cooking more than hair. Maybe I'll give it a whirl on my skin to see if the salt makes much diff.

Thanks JK.

LOL..I wrote "slat"? I meant salt, but I'm inclined to use this oil in cooking more than hair. Maybe I'll give it a whirl on my skin to see if the salt makes much diff.

Thanks JK.
Oh wow good to know that it has salt, what about the butter? the same?

I'm glad I read your post about it:yep:

oh wait , just saw the first post

the oil is the butter in solid form?

ok this stuff is confusing, and doesnt it stain? and if it has salt too......

I wanted to try this, but I think I shall pass now

*eta* erm I meant the butter is the oil in solid form bahahaha

oh wait , just saw the first post

the oil is the butter in solid form?

ok this stuff is confusing, and doesnt it stain? and if it has salt too......

I wanted to try this, but I think I shall pass now

*eta* erm I meant the butter is the oil in solid form bahahaha

Yes that's why I posted that description because I wanted to see what people would say because previous threads about it are just all over the place about it.I consider this an oil,but like coconut oil.Solid when its cool and it melts if room temp gets hotter.It also seems to be moisturizing like coconut oil,it just stains if you use too much.Use a little,especially on wet hair you'll be fine.Seems the majority uses it as a prepoo and add it to their condish for extra moisture and love it.

Yes that's why I posted that description because I wanted to see what people would say because previous threads about it are just all over the place about it.I consider this an oil,but like coconut oil.Solid when its cool and it melts if room temp gets hotter.It also seems to be moisturizing like coconut oil,it just stains if you use too much.Use a little,especially on wet hair you'll be fine.Seems the majority uses it as a prepoo and add it to their condish for extra moisture and love it.

Ya know, I never realized that people didn't realize that about red palm oil - it's just like coconut oil in that when it cools, it gets hard, and it melts are room temp. :lol: I can tell fall is creeping in because the RPO in my bathroom is starting to be semi-solid in the mornings. :lol:

What I have is what Amari describes. It's an oil which hardens at 78F or so like coconut oil. Palm KERNAL oil is something diff. It's white and comes from the kernal of the plant while the red palm oil comes from the fruit...same tree, diff oil!

I HAVE seen red palm as a butter as well as the oil, tho I can't recall seeing the palm kernal in butter form. I imagine the red palm butter is simply less refined than the oil and has more "stuff" in it to give it the buttery consistency.

For simplicity sake: red palm oil (refined) red pal butter (less refined)...palm kernal oil (white oil from a different part of the same tree). LOL

Ya know, I never realized that people didn't realize that about red palm oil - it's just like coconut oil in that when it cools, it gets hard, and it melts are room temp. :lol: I can tell fall is creeping in because the RPO in my bathroom is starting to be semi-solid in the mornings. :lol:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Back