Is protective styling backfiring?

I need to find wth is going on...I had my hair in cornrows under a wig...I just took out the braids...n the shedding was ridiculous...do you all think its bcuz I haven't touched my hair in a week...so it wasnt able to do its daily shedding? OR can this b the beginning to some hair issues?

maybe it seemed like a lot because it was a week's worth of shed hair rather than the normal amount of shed hair you see daily?

I think protective styling backfires when we forget to moisturize, moisturize and moisturize!!!

Sure a bun/wig/braids are great to keep my hands out of my hair, but personally I know that if i don't moisturize well DAILY and seal (from root to tip), at the end of the week i have some serious breakage/shedding. :(

Sorry to hear about your hair mishap. Wig wearing is no excuse to ignore your real hair. I take my wig off every day after work. I moisturize, use a leave-in then seal my ends every day before putting on my wigs, taking off the wig in the evenings I repeat the treatment.
I do not usually wear wigs on weekends..I wear my twists out with a headband or scarf but never neglect the triple care. I also wear a wig cap under wig, silk scarves nightly.

I agree with the other ladies, always make sure your hair is well moisturized

I wouldn't worry just yet though, because as you've said, you haven't touched your head for a week. You had a whole weeks worth of shed hair stuck in there, it's probably just a shock to see it all at once :yep:

Sorry to hear about your hair mishap. Wig wearing is no excuse to ignore your real hair. I take my wig off every day after work. I moisturize, use a leave-in then seal my ends every day before putting on my wigs, taking off the wig in the evenings I repeat the treatment.
I do not usually wear wigs on weekends..I wear my twists out with a headband or scarf but never neglect the triple care. I also wear a wig cap under wig, silk scarves nightly.

Ive been moisturizing daily...n I take it off as soon as I get in the house:-) But I guess I'm not doing enough:sad:

May just be shedding. Usually the protective style does wonders for your hair, not horrors. Also, if the hair has the bulbs on the ends, its just shedding. If not, its breakage and maybe your hair can't take the week off :p

Last edited:
You're doing fine. You just saw a weeks worth of shed hair at one time and that's nothing to worry about.

Now if you start seeing bald patches as a result of shedding, then start worrying.

Ive been moisturizing daily...n I take it off as soon as I get in the house:-) But I guess I'm not doing enough:sad:

OK, I can suggest the products I use. I spritz with EQYSS AVOCADO MIST then NEXXUS HEADDRESS or DR. BRONNERS LAVENDER/COCONUT LEAVE-IN-{this one leaves my hair super moisturized all day long} then use any oil I'm feeling..amla, coconut, grapeseed, almond or some DAX SULPHUR with MSM. Hope it helps some. I also co-wash or shampoo at least every three-four days, deep condition with most often ORS REPLENISHING. I rotate my deep conditioners{various Dominican/Nunaat/Alter-ego garlic} then retwist. I rarely use a comb, more often I use my fingers to separate my hair before retwisting.

May just be shedding. Did you moisturize your hair under the wig at all? Usually the protective style does wonders for your hair, not horrors. Also, if the hair has the bulbs on the ends, its just shedding. If not, its breakage and maybe your hair can't take the week off :p

I moisturized...Im going to wait it out and see...not too long tho...about a month....

N I think I did see bulbs...hmmm...Im going to keep u guys posted:-)

I moisturized...Im going to wait it out and see...not too long tho...about a month....

N I think I did see bulbs...hmmm...Im going to keep u guys posted:-)

Sometimes shed hair can look like oodles and oodles of hair depending on how much product is on the strands.

Also, whether or not the hair is somewhat separated or fluffy (think what the hair looks like when you take it from the comb or brush versus what it looks like after you smoosh it).

How long are your strands? The longer the hair is the more it will appear like you are losing waaay too much hair.

Hair sheds, IIRC, about 100 strands per day. Multiply that by seven, and you have enough strands to make you wonder if you are going bald (I know it makes me wonder, LOL).

I sometimes do long stints of the same protective style (say 4 to 6 weeks). At the end of that period I have so much shedding I start to panic...and then I remember that 100 strands times 28 to 42 days is thousands of hairs.

If you are extremely concerned, maybe you could save the shed hair from when you are wearing the wig, then go without it for one to two weeks and compare the amounts of hair to see if it makes a difference.

I think it's just because it's been a week. Try garlic treatments if you think the shedding is too much.

I use olive oil infused with minced garlic as a prepoo when I do Megatek. Very little shedding is noticed.

I need to find wth is going on...I had my hair in cornrows under a wig...I just took out the braids...n the shedding was ridiculous...do you all think its bcuz I haven't touched my hair in a week...so it wasnt able to do its daily shedding? OR can this b the beginning to some hair issues?

Do you think she put the cornrows in too tight? I remember when I had twist done to the front of my head six years ago the "stylist" did them too tight. Then a few days later I saw little white bulbs in the front of my hairline. I pulled one of the bulbs out just to verify, and of course it was a long strand of hair.:sad:

Back